Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stop this nonsense of Covid passports, ID and masks

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I have a WFH contract .... as do 90% of the company.

Fair enough. So you are not a transmission risk. You are still a business continuity risk though if you catch Covid and that is why your company might ask to see your vaccination passport. It’s not actually that new. For instance, my wife has had to provide proof of various vaccinations for various jobs in the NHS for years (not sure if that will make the ‘freedom loving Brits’ poster from a page ago spontaneously combust).

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
……but we’re not actually out of the woods yet regarding Covid……….we’ve got much of our freedom back, and for now I’m grateful for that after a shit year and a half. A bit of ongoing inconvenience I can live with if it helps clear the path to full freedom. I’d rather testing requirements for travel were dispensed with than Covid passports but kind of understand why we have both for now.

Sweden with virtually no lockdown and few restrictions came out of this thing with fewer deaths per million than the UK. I cannot believe that the great British public permitted its freedom to be taken away for eighteen months as a result of listening to a bunch of crackpot scientists.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sweden with virtually no lockdown and few restrictions came out of this thing with fewer deaths per million than the UK. I cannot believe that the great British public permitted its freedom to be taken away for eighteen months as a result of listening to a bunch of crackpot scientists.

:ffsparr:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Perhaps you should do some more research on Sweden’s Covid measures. In particular look at their record compared to the other Scandinavian countries, at the reversal of the no lockdown policies and the regret felt by many Swedish politicians about their initial response. I’m afraid your entrenched view is simply fake news.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016

Sweden had more cases per head of population than the UK, but fewer deaths. So what is your point? That Sweden's intensive care system is better than the UK's?
You may be right...

But, if you believe that our intensive care system is not as great as a specific other country's system (out of the several hundreds that you might have compared us with), what has that got to do with reducing / relaxing preventative measures intended to protect staff and visitors from needing an intensive care system, after visiting a place of work (which in our case, is much more than that to most fans).

Source - https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?utm_campaign=homeAdUOA?Si#countries

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Whether I've had covid jabs makes no difference to if can do my job .... or not. Being ill does and so of.course I would have to tell my employer about being ill. The problem here is we've added jab shaming to mask shaming ...... very slippery slope.

Personally, I think jab shaming and mask shaming are great. In the absence of enforcement by law, it's the next best thing to protect us all.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Came out of this thing ? Cases were up 30% last week.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There is no way I could do public transport without having a major panic attack.
I drive down so that is ok.
Leicester is a problem as I cannot get parking but I'll sort something.

I'm sorry to hear that but you're absolutely correct to do so. The trains were back to 2019 last night.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Fair enough. So you are not a transmission risk. You are still a business continuity risk though if you catch Covid and that is why your company might ask to see your vaccination passport. It’s not actually that new. For instance, my wife has had to provide proof of various vaccinations for various jobs in the NHS for years (not sure if that will make the ‘freedom loving Brits’ poster from a page ago spontaneously combust).

I went out to Chennai to work for three months back in 2001. As part of discussing the placement with the travel team and Resources Manager we had to arrange flights but also visas (so I gave them my passport) and my jabs. At no point did I consider the idea that they might still send me on the trip if I didn't co-operate because of some misunderstood concept of personal freedom. We also had full and frank discussions as a team regarding the benefits and dangers of Anti Malaria tablets :shrug:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Some saying it worked well tonight but not sure I agree, especially when multiplied by 5! Lots of people faffing with phones/not knowing when we needed to show ticket/Covid/ID etc. If lots get to the first home matches 2.30-3 I can see a lot outside at kick off.

It certainly worked well if you were prepared and had your covid pass and id ready for the first check and then switching over to the match ticket so it was ready for scanning.
If you were prepared you could walk past people who were only getting the covid pass out when they reached the checkpoint, and then weren't prepared with their match ticket, or had more than one ticket on the same phone.

The issue for a league game will be the number of people not ready to shown their covid passes and ID so that queues start to form and those who have everything ready just get stuck behind those who are only getting their phones out when they are challenged for their covid pass.

While the club have released lots of detail on what is ready I think they need to push the message of being ready before you reach the checkpoint. To assist in this, it would be helpful if they stated where the checks will take place around the ground so everyone should know where they need to show their covid pass.

I do worry that delays will happen at the Watford game, and if its pouring down I don't believe there will be too much acceptance of the delays.

If it works as it should delays are a minimum.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
This is an article from the Guardian 1989.
I don't even want to think about the abuse I'd get now for opposing this.
I'm sure I would be accused of supporting hooliganism.

The Covid passport debate is nuanced but it's even boring me now and I started the bloody thread.

Legislation to impose a compulsory national membership scheme on all 92 Football League clubs is to be introduced in the next parliamentary session, the Prime Minister told the football authorities yesterday.

The Government will also consider whether it should urge the Football Association to withdraw England from the World Cup in Italy in 1990.

Anyone wishing to go to a football match from the beginning of the 1989-90 season will need a registered card, with photographs, issued by one of the 92 League clubs in England and Wales. The cards will allow supporters to attend away matches.

Mrs Thatcher told football chiefs, including Mr Graham Kelly, the Football League secretary, and Mr Ted Croker, the Football Association secretary, of the decision at a 90 minute meeting in Downing Street yesterday.

dandanthebrightonfan

Jan 29, 2012
BN14
Barber has got this wrong, but I'll leave you with some of his wisdom, not mad at all;

Once inside the Amex

We advise to take care when passing others in seating areas, turn your back when you pass fellow supporters and avoid passing face-to-face.

Supporters are strongly advised to avoid hugs, handshakes and high fives, and ensure regular hand sanitisation.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I've been doing for the last 10 seasons :eek:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

The Covid passport debate is nuanced but it's even boring me now and I started the bloody thread.

Legislation to impose a compulsory national membership scheme on all 92 Football League clubs is to be introduced in the next parliamentary session, the Prime Minister told the football authorities yesterday.

The Government will also consider whether it should urge the Football Association to withdraw England from the World Cup in Italy in 1990.

Anyone wishing to go to a football match from the beginning of the 1989-90 season will need a registered card, with photographs, issued by one of the 92 League clubs in England and Wales. The cards will allow supporters to attend away matches.

Mrs Thatcher told football chiefs, including Mr Graham Kelly, the Football League secretary, and Mr Ted Croker, the Football Association secretary, of the decision at a 90 minute meeting in Downing Street yesterday.

Your point seems to be about your individual liberty being infringed. Those who disagree on the issue care more about collective responsibility to reduce infection risk in a pandemic. Rather than work yourself up about your freedoms why don’t you just give it a go. Go to a game and then have a think on the way home about whether you actually feel any less free because you had to flash a couple of passes at a steward.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I went out to Chennai to work for three months back in 2001. As part of discussing the placement with the travel team and Resources Manager we had to arrange flights but also visas (so I gave them my passport) and my jabs. At no point did I consider the idea that they might still send me on the trip if I didn't co-operate because of some misunderstood concept of personal freedom. We also had full and frank discussions as a team regarding the benefits and dangers of Anti Malaria tablets :shrug:

We have had similar when working abroad. We also wore masks when advised to in Asia. I do suspect that many of the individual freedom brigade are just not that well travelled.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

Buying a match ticket now is very much different to those days as each club now has all your details anyway, which is no real difference to having a membership card.

Surprised you never started a thread opposing having to register all your details with the club in order to get a match ticket

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
I just want to watch my local football team.

If it's ok to go to packed indoor gigs, night clubs, theatre, cinema, public transport, Reading festival, Burnley away, holiday to Ibiza why can't we get into the Amex.

Barber has got this wrong, but I'll leave you with some of his wisdom, not mad at all;

Once inside the Amex

We advise to take care when passing others in seating areas, turn your back when you pass fellow supporters and avoid passing face-to-face.

Supporters are strongly advised to avoid hugs, handshakes and high fives, and ensure regular hand sanitisation.
Ended up intensive care from a member of the public who had covid who didn't tell anyone or wear a mask and infected my colleague. Just because other industries are full of morons and more interested in money than safety doesn't mean BHA have to be.

Sent from my EVR-N29 using Tapatalk

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
I just want to watch my local football team.

If it's ok to go to packed indoor gigs, night clubs, theatre, cinema, public transport, Reading festival, Burnley away, holiday to Ibiza why can't we get into the Amex.

Once inside the Amex

Supporters are strongly advised to avoid hugs, handshakes and high fives, and ensure regular hand sanitisation.

No one is stopping you from watching your local football team (although as you live in Hurstpierpoint aren't Hurstpierpoint FC your local team?)

All you've got to do is comply with a few simple safety requirements which will help to keep everyone safer and help contain the virus

As others have explained, all this will be mandatory in October anyway so best to get it into place now

Your argument seems to be that other venues allow people to crowd together without these protocols (though I'm sure that will change) which is clearly a bad idea

No one wants another season of football behind closed doors, or more lockdowns, and these simple requirements will help avoid that and keep you and your family safer

Is that so hard to understand and accept?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here