Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stop Cycling up Ditchling Beacon!!!!

In view of the strength of feeling expressed on this thread I now confirm that under no circumstances (the main ones being I don't have a bike nor can I ride one) will I cycle to Ditchling Beacon.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
In view of the strength of feeling expressed on this thread I now confirm that under no circumstances (the main ones being I don't have a bike nor can I ride one) will I cycle to Ditchling Beacon.

Outstanding. The country needs more people like you.

RISE UP!

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Do bicycles have indicators???
Do some cyclists not wear correct safety wear?? All these little things are hazardous as are some drivers. In my 'opinion' they should be tested like drivers are to ensure they can ride appropriately and have some sort of insurance. Correct me if i am wrong and they already have thus in place. If a cyclist accidently hits a pot hole does that entitle him to take his bike to the council and get a new one?? This doesnt include you as you obviously are an a class cyclist!!

"Correct safety gear"? Please tell me, what is the 'correct safety gear' required for going to the shop? I don't wear 'the correct safety gear' for driving, or as a pedestrian. How is this "as hazardous as some drivers"? No cyclist has EVER killed someone in a car because of their riding - drivers kill other drivers pretty much daily.

How does insurance affect the pot-hole case? Anyone can put a claim in to the council for damage caused through poor road maintenance - drivers do it a lot. It isn't a claim on the vehicle's cover.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
How about abolishing the VED and getting the funding from an increase in fuel?
Probably been discussed before but can't be arsed to search.
Downside, petrol mowers will be permitted to use the roads too [as they're paid VED via fuel surcharge].

Several have also stated that they already pay a form of "road tax" on another vehicle so their bicycle is exempt - what about all them kids on bikes, what tax do they pay, eh?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I'd abolish VED entirely and add it to fuel. That way the more you drive the more you pay. The less efficiently you drive the more you pay. The less efficient your vehicle the more you pay. Bearing in mind that a large proportion of car journeys are less than 5 miles there's really no reason to drive that much in urban areas anyway.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'd abolish VED entirely and add it to fuel. That way the more you drive the more you pay. The less efficiently you drive the more you pay. The less efficient your vehicle the more you pay. Bearing in mind that a large proportion of car journeys are less than 5 miles there's really no reason to drive that much in urban areas anyway.

What if your job requires you to drive? Not fair

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Brilliant. So, the argument is that cyclists shouldn't use the roads because they don't pay 'road tax'. However a system in place, by the very same logic, to charge you proportionately for your use on the road is not fair!?

How is it fair that Mrs Higgins in the local village doing 1000 miles per year only using her local roads to get about pays the same road tax as Mr Bigend, who has the same car and does 20,000 miles per year using a variety of Motorways, A roads etc. all round the country?

If V.E.D, as you say is really paying for the roads, how on earth is that scenario of road usage fair!?

So pleased you came back with that.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Businesses would be able to claim tax back, as they already do with VAT. It's far more fair than the current system where people with gas-guzzlers pollute so much that they're actually killing people, but hardly paying anything for the privilege.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

Get a more efficient vehicle and drive it more efficiently. Maybe a hybrid or electric vehicle if it's really necessary to drive. Or organise your journeys better to reduce travelling distances.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Get a more efficient vehicle and drive it more efficiently. Maybe a hybrid or electric vehicle if it's really necessary to drive. Or organise your journeys better to reduce travelling distances.

Not as easy as just buying a new car, some people are poor, people that don't work in offices.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Brilliant. So, the argument is that cyclists shouldn't use the roads because they don't pay 'road tax'. However a system in place, by the very same logic, to charge you proportionately for your use on the road is not fair!?

How is it fair that Mrs Higgins in the local village doing 1000 miles per year only using her local roads to get about pays the same road tax as Mr Bigend, who has the same car and does 20,000 miles per year using a variety of Motorways, A roads etc. all round the country?

If V.E.D, as you say is really paying for the roads, how on earth is that scenario of road usage fair!?

Motorists pay enough out on driving without charging us more!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

I actually know Mr Bigend and he does not drive 20,000 miles per year so please don't exaggerate like that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here