Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stop Cycling up Ditchling Beacon!!!!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'm more of a motorist than cyclist but I'm not sure I see that clip the way you do. The worst thing is the way the driver then reverses back up the road at speed. What's the point!

I'm completely mystified as to how you think that incident is in any way the cyclists fault. There seems to be an assumption from a number of drivers that cars have priority over other traffic (whether that's cyclists, tractors, whatever), and in the worst cases that their car has priority over all other road users. That video is a great example of that. If both users were in a car would the bloke in the red car have bothered reversing after him to challenge him over not giving him room?

Interesting views. For the record the car driver is an a-hole because he should really have stopped rather than just plough through + he was already going much too fast. The bike is still wrong to try and block him though, he is the bigger a-hole.

It's nothing to do with drivers having priority, it's just about being courteous to other road users and keeping the traffic flowing if possible. I would apply the same logic to a car if it was in the bike's position. When I'm driving and there are cars parked on the opposite side of the road I'll always try and allow space for the oncoming traffic to keep going if I can, you just have to judge each situation on it's merits. If I think it's a bit tight for what's coming towards me then I'll position myself closer to the middle of the road to discourage them from coming out (as the bike did). If there's loads of room to pass (as there was in this situation) I'll just slow down a bit and drive a foot closer to the kerb, everyone's happy.

Interesting views. For the record the car driver is an a-hole because he should really have stopped rather than just plough through + he was already going much too fast. The bike is still wrong to try and block him though, he is the bigger a-hole.

It's nothing to do with drivers having priority, it's just about being courteous to other road users and keeping the traffic flowing if possible. I would apply the same logic to a car if it was in the bike's position. When I'm driving and there are cars parked on the opposite side of the road I'll always try and allow space for the oncoming traffic to keep going if I can, you just have to judge each situation on it's merits. If I think it's a bit tight for what's coming towards me then I'll position myself closer to the middle of the road to discourage them from coming out (as the bike did). If there's loads of room to pass (as there was in this situation) I'll just slow down a bit and drive a foot closer to the kerb, everyone's happy.

I agree that the cyclist could have moved over. In his situation, either on my bike or in a car, I probably would have. So it's a fair cop to say that the cyclist was inconsiderate (assuming that the road was in reasonable condition and there weren't potholes, detritus or other reasons he didn't want to pull closer to the kerb). However, as I said in my response, if the cyclist had instead been in another car the driver of the red car wouldn't have thought anything of it - he certainly wouldn't have very dangerously slammed his car into reverse to chase after and remonstrate with him. It was the driver that chose (in a dangerous fashion) to escalate the situation, and in my view he's the one that's deserving of ridicule, not the slightly arsey cyclist. As I also said in my earlier response, I can completely understand (even though I don't agree with his behaviour in this incident) the style of defensive cycling that this guy was practising.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
whats the chances of the brighton / mid sussex / lewes / highway agency getting together and extending that nice new cycle / footpath on ditchling road from hollingbury hill all the way to ditchling

i.e a seperation of bikes & cars all the way to the Bull ?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
whats the chances of the brighton / mid sussex / lewes / highway agency getting together and extending that nice new cycle / footpath on ditchling road from hollingbury hill all the way to ditchling

i.e a seperation of bikes & cars all the way to the Bull ?

The one that they've been building for five months that consists of loose gravel and is completely unsuitable for cycling on? Any idea if they're going to tarmac it?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'm more of a motorist than cyclist but I'm not sure I see that clip the way you do. The worst thing is the way the driver then reverses back up the road at speed. What's the point!

I agree that the cyclist could have moved over. In his situation, either on my bike or in a car, I probably would have. So it's a fair cop to say that the cyclist was inconsiderate (assuming that the road was in reasonable condition and there weren't potholes, detritus or other reasons he didn't want to pull closer to the kerb). However, as I said in my response, if the cyclist had instead been in another car the driver of the red car wouldn't have thought anything of it - he certainly wouldn't have very dangerously slammed his car into reverse to chase after and remonstrate with him. It was the driver that chose (in a dangerous fashion) to escalate the situation, and in my view he's the one that's deserving of ridicule, not the slightly arsey cyclist. As I also said in my earlier response, I can completely understand (even though I don't agree with his behaviour in this incident) the style of defensive cycling that this guy was practising.

I can go along with all that, reversing like that was a bit mental.

Incidentally, the demographic of the driver interests me because I find that middle aged men in their mid 40s/50s (give or take) are by FAR the most c**ty drivers on the road and seem to be driving round with a massive chip on their shoulder. I do alot of miles for work and see all sorts of horrible aggressive driving from that lot.
On Monday I was driving south through cuckfield and some knob with long grey hair tried to drive into me at the roundabout by the Co-op. He was coming from my right and turning across me so it would've been his right of way but I hit the junction a good car length before him so I went expecting him to pass round the back of me. He obviously felt wronged by this so had to floor it and drive the wrong way round the mini-roundabout to make it look like I was in his way.

These tw@s don't discriminate, red car driver is probably an @rsehole to everyone on the road, not just bikes.

D

Deleted member 22389

alot of it is just common sense & basic manners

whenever I'm driving and encounter a cyclist,I slow down and indicate,it takes up a nano second of my life,no big deal

And when I cycle I keep as far over to the left as possible. If I swing out a bit further this means the road is rubbish here or there is a dangerous drain cover, it is not me being an ******** and trying to own the road. Drivers like yourself will get a Thank You from me.

When I drive, I always give cyclists distance between them and me, and when I overtake I give them plenty of space.
When I turn left I always always check my mirror to make sure nobody is coming up on the inside.
If a cyclist is front of me and I want to turn left, I wait until they have passed the road. I would never ever attempt to get in front of them.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I tend to find that it always takes 2 ***** to get a road rage incident. If the car had slowed down or the cyclist moved over to the left in that video, none of the rest would have happened.

I also agree with Billy the Fish that, in my experience, it tends to be men in the 40-60 range that are the worst drivers (I'm male and 54 !). Everyone makes mistakes and an acknowledgement of the mistake tends to diffuse most situations. However, when i see someone take a roundabout in a space that's a bit tight, most people ease off to let them out. The ones who will put their foot down so they can race up to them with the horn going tend to be the group highlighted above.

I can only think that if 6 foot of tarmac means that much to you, you can't have any real responsibilities in life.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I've covered 10s of thousands of miles on a bike on the roads. I've never got in a stand up row with anyone and I've never had a car take any kind of deliberate action like the guy above. Sure, you get some abuse from idiots who are annoyed that you've slowed them down for a millisecond but the world is full of tools who are full of self importance and completely self absorbed.

People have to stop lumping cyclists together as one - if a car driver cuts me up I don't shout abuse at the next car! There are idiots in every walk of life and there are plenty of terrible drivers/cyclists around in all situations.

The road tax argument is ridiculous - take it out of all the money we're saving the NHS by not being fat and unfit with high blood pressure from all the road rage!

Last edited:

Yoda

English & European
Bad driving, but not uncommon in so many motorists. I drive and cycle, and find it staggering how difficult people find flicking a lever. I tell you what, people are turning into horrible twats in their cars these days. I saw a poor women with bags of shopping, pushchair, 3 yr old crying all trying to cross the road. Do any cars approaching the T junction just stop for 20secs to let her cross? No. It's incredible. The problem isn't cyclists, many drivers are so obsessed with getting somewhere in the quickest possible time, that all social politeness, manners, curtesy go out of the window. This obsession is driving their hatred of cyclists, because anything that has the potential to slow them down is the enemy. Road rage is everywhere, aimed at vans, lorries, someone changing lanes in queuing traffic, not letting anyone out. You say 'gets drivers backs up' - bloodyhell, what doesn't get a lot drivers backs up!?

Post of the bloody century. :bowdown:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I tend to find that it always takes 2 ***** to get a road rage incident.

Really? I've seen a few road rage incidents with someone out of their car raging with some frightened driver behind completely unaware of what has caused the rage to occur. In fact I'd say many road rage incidents are just one person losing it, with the other party either unaware, uninterested, or just scared of what has caused this person to go mental.

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
I just cycled up the beacon as it happens. I always try to avoid it and Clayton Hill when it's rush hour. Just so bloody dangerous. There should be a cycle lane on at least one of them.

What is wrong with these anti cycling cockheads. More bikes in Brighton = less cars. (I sub at least one drive for a bike ride to work a week). As for the "I Pay road tax". I would suggest that most cyclists do too...Most people need a car. So that doesn't stack up. What worries me is the notion by some on this board that if you stack it into a cyclist, it's probably justified as they had been cycling dangerously.

I cover a few thousand miles a year on the bike, and there are a number of times you feel a wingmirror just brush you - or at least a gust of air from the car indicating how close it was. Hence, when I can...I prefer offroad.

I also drive though and try to be curteous to other road users, as well as using a bit of savvy on the bike - you can predict what (most) drivers are going to do. Ocassionally though, the use of a middle finger can be warranted - like to the guy who (for no reason) kept his hand on his horn as I climbed a hill (there was no other traffic on the road, I was on the far left of the road as I should have been). Also the guy who overtook me to turn instantly left (=large skid and the word "c***" being shouted) - nearly sending me over his roof.

Generally though, if I am on a bike - I'm thoughtful to drivers. Conversely I'm nice to cyclists when in my car. Can't we just get along and look out for one another?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Perfect example of a driver (something you've obviously not noticed having watched it) not indicating when passing a hazard, or slowing down accordingly. Bad driving, but not uncommon in so many motorists. I drive and cycle, and find it staggering how difficult people find flicking a lever. I tell you what, people are turning into horrible twats in their cars these days. I saw a poor women with bags of shopping, pushchair, 3 yr old crying all trying to cross the road. Do any cars approaching the T junction just stop for 20secs to let her cross? No. It's incredible. The problem isn't cyclists, many drivers are so obsessed with getting somewhere in the quickest possible time, that all social politeness, manners, curtesy go out of the window. This obsession is driving their hatred of cyclists, because anything that has the potential to slow them down is the enemy. Road rage is everywhere, aimed at vans, lorries, someone changing lanes in queuing traffic, not letting anyone out. You say 'gets drivers backs up' - bloodyhell, what doesn't get a lot drivers backs up!?

Totally agree, I treat those junctions as give way to pedestians. More often than not drivers who chose not to end having to wait to pull out for traffic to clear anyway, and blocking the pedestians from crossing in the process. They are probably the same drivers who overshoot junctions and suddenly stop because they haven't given themselves enough time to see that they actually do have time to enter of cross, so they miss the opportunity that they wanted in the first place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here