Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stop Cycling up Ditchling Beacon!!!!

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
It's not a great road for cars.
It's a local 'icon' for cyclists.

But it's a road not a cycle path, which is why I steer clear.
Ditchling is more of an annual trip out, nothing more.

What specific reasons do you have for driving it?
(Genuine question I don't know the other roads across the Downs, but I'm sure there's plenty more car friendly roads, than that one)

I never knew roads were exclusively for cars, nowadays..

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
As an aside, I went in my old Previa to Newhaven and back today via the Iford/Kingston road.
This is a typical country road and is designated 50mph until you reach the 30mph hamlets :ohmy:thank christ.
I thought 40mph was fast enough due to the amount of cyclists and hikers lurking on every bend.
Considering the speed motorists are allowed to go I'm surprised anyone on a bike would risk it - let alone walkers:eek:

To even things up tho,on my way back I had a prick in a blue Scirocco VW right up my arse from Newhaven to the Kingston roundabout onto the main Lewes Road.

I probably saved a few lives holding him up:moo:

Judging by the look I got as he sped away towards the Amex he wasn't a happy bunny:lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
foska-i-pay-road-tax-short-sleeve-jersey.jpg

8303010953_88847a191b_z.jpg

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Will these be available in the club shop------in blue please.
Shirley that florescent fellow should have both hands on the bike and be looking the right way-----accident waiting to happen in my view:rolleyes:
Bit of an own goal there Stat:blush:

I think your becoming a secret geek Simmo.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
As an aside, I went in my old Previa to Newhaven and back today via the Iford/Kingston road.
This is a typical country road and is designated 50mph until you reach the 30mph hamlets :ohmy:thank christ.
I thought 40mph was fast enough due to the amount of cyclists and hikers lurking on every bend.
Considering the speed motorists are allowed to go I'm surprised anyone on a bike would risk it - let alone walkers:eek:

To even things up tho,on my way back I had a prick in a blue Scirocco VW right up my arse from Newhaven to the Kingston roundabout onto the main Lewes Road.

I probably saved a few lives holding him up:moo:

Judging by the look I got as he sped away towards the Amex he wasn't a happy bunny:lolol:

You didn't call round for a cup of tea, oh hang on I went for a spin in my VW Scirocco:whistle:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
This is getting far too sensible for my liking! BAN CYCLISTS ON COUNTRY ROADS! MAKE THEM PAY THEIR OWN TAX!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I went up Ditchling Beacon today and got stuck behind [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]
:p

View attachment 56174

I wish I was in such fine shape.

Anyway you'd know it if you were 'stuck' behind me up the Beacon.
I'm the cyclist waving you through at the very first opportunity.

fcportaloo

Nov 1, 2009
Road tax doesn't exist. It's car tax, a tax on cars and other vehicles, not a tax on roads or a fee to use them. Motorists do not pay directly for the roads. Roads are paid for via general and local taxation. In 1926, Winston Churchill started the process to abolish road tax. It was finally culled in 1937. Car tax is based on amount of CO2 emitted so, if a fee had to be paid, cyclists - who are sometimes branded as 'tax-dodgers' - would pay the same as 'tax-dodgers' such as disabled drivers, police cars, the Royal family, and band A motorists, ie £0. Most cyclists are also car-owners, too, so pay VED. Many of those who believe road tax exists, want cyclists off the roads or, at least registered, but bicycle licensing is an expensive folly.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Road tax doesn't exist. It's car tax, a tax on cars and other vehicles, not a tax on roads or a fee to use them. Motorists do not pay directly for the roads. Roads are paid for via general and local taxation. In 1926, Winston Churchill started the process to abolish road tax. It was finally culled in 1937. Car tax is based on amount of CO2 emitted so, if a fee had to be paid, cyclists - who are sometimes branded as 'tax-dodgers' - would pay the same as 'tax-dodgers' such as disabled drivers, police cars, the Royal family, and band A motorists, ie £0. Most cyclists are also car-owners, too, so pay VED. Many of those who believe road tax exists, want cyclists off the roads or, at least registered, but bicycle licensing is an expensive folly.

The thing is, I reckon most cyclists would have no problem with licencing and insurance. The costs would have to low though because governments want more cycle usage and would not want to make it prohibitively expensive. Setting the system up would be a logistical nightmare. If it were costed, I suspect there would be widespread criticism (and not just from regular cyclists) on the bases of inconsistency with the current 'policy' of reducing red tape, uneconomic use of central funds and poor prioritising of funds in these austere times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here