Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stoke City vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I’m hoping for a sudden and unexpectedly damning verdict in the FFP case against Man City, after they beat United in the quarters and Spurs in the semi’s.

Yeovil are then invited to take their place after being pulled out of a hat and we beat them 16 - 0 in the final.

Get money on it.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
When we were sub-par prior we missed Caicedo. Prior to that we missed Welbeck. We can’t keep worrying about this stuff, they gotta improve together as a squad. Our biggest problems tonight were very ineffective finishing and too many touches at centre back; especially from our captain. Plus our World Cup winner was bang average - again. Hard to legislate for that, we either drop him or hope he comes good again.

To push for Europe we must improve.
That's fair enough, and I agree, just putting last nights performance in context. But I don't think you can draw specific attention to specific areas (ineffective finishing and too many touches at centre back), as two vital players were missing. Had they been playing the game would have been played differently.

Clearly our first 11 is very good, but maybe we do have a few key positions where if the first choice isn't available (Estupiñán and March) things aren't as balanced, as you say the squad as whole has to improve, which I think they will.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What you’ve done there is you’ve tacked on an incontrovertible statement into a separate paragraph, at the end of the post. I disagree with points made in the bulk of your reply, but you’ll get “likes” because any disagreement will be seen as disputing your final two sentences.
What I've done there is point out that we're eighth in the hardest league in the world and in the last eight of the oldest cup competition in the world.

You seem contrarian this morning. Are you missing Swanny?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Regarding our performance I think we really missed Estupiñán and March.

Estupiñán and Mitoma link up so well, it's like having three players on the left and March always gives 100% and creates a lot by being so active, coupled with being in prime form recently.
Completely agree. No out ball to either of them like there usually is. Made a huge difference.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Should of been more comfortable but got the job done.

What struck me was the state of Stoke City these days. Atmosphere always used to be guarenteed there , instead , Empty seats , barely any noise until they had a bit of a go last 15. Team full of limited thugs. General doom surrounding the place.

They look in a bad place as a club
Owned by Billionaires too so more proof that having money is no guarantee you’ll be any good. You‘d expect them to be doing much better in the Championship, if they are getting financial backing.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
What I've done there is point out that we're eighth in the hardest league in the world and in the last eight of the oldest cup competition in the world.

I am entitled to make my point of view, just like you. I agree we are eighth in the hardest league in the world, because this is a fact. I also think we haven’t been great in the last three games and need to improve if we are going to stay there or rise higher.

The Seagull

Jan 17, 2021
Eh? Of course not. I want people who disagree with me, to take a balanced view and look at the overall result and the overall performance and not focus on individual mistakes or individuals ! It's a team game. Collective responsibility and all that.

Everyone makes mistakes. If a series of mistakes translate into long-term ineffectiveness, then that is a different matter, and you will find that individual unlikely to feature in the regular starting eleven.
“Balanced view/overall performance”. What’s all this nonsense ! We come on here to complain and say what we want. You’re on the wrong forum, try this one …. imawetwipeforum.co.uk

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Sanctimonious bollocks.

We weren’t great last night, just as we weren’t against Fulham or Palace. Looking at xg and possession levels, it’s not been a great few games. Some very average performances from key individuals (MacAllister, Ferguson, despite the goal).

It’s okay for fans to recognise and discuss a mini dip in level of performance. We will improve again but IMHO we’ve looked a bit off it for a few games now.
Thanks for resorting to insults, well done.

So Jan / Feb - P9 W6 D2 L1 is not good enough. Wow! Perhaps you should enlighten RDZ on what he's doing wrong, I'm sure he'll appreciate.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
“Balanced view/overall performance”. What’s all this nonsense ! We come on here to complain and say what we want. You’re on the wrong forum, try this one …. imawetwipeforum.co.uk
Well, that's your view then. A balanced view is nonsense.

Btw, there's nowt wrong with wet wipes as you descend into old age. We've got a boxful of them in our utility room.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Thanks for resorting to insults, well done.

So Jan / Feb - P9 W6 D2 L1 is not good enough. Wow! Perhaps you should enlighten RDZ on what he's doing wrong, I'm sure he'll appreciate.
We weren’t great last night, just as we weren’t against Fulham or Palace. Looking at xg and possession levels, it’s not been a great few games. Some very average performances from key individuals (MacAllister, Ferguson, despite the goal).

It’s okay for fans to recognise and discuss a mini dip in level of performance. We will improve again but IMHO we’ve looked a bit off it for a few games now.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

Good one. Calling @Swansman. Are you up yet? Put the coffee on lad. This thread needs you to sort out a couple of mischiefmakers and ne'er-do-wells.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
It does look like we are having a small dip of sorts. Thought we lacked the zip out the back last night. Could be due to the lack of crowd and noise making it feel like a friendly.

Hope we are back on it Saturday

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003

We're not quite Man City yet, we're getting there, but not just yet.:)

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I felt we did enough (errmmm obviously) last night, but it felt like certain first teamers were taking it easy, purring along… it made for uncomfortable viewing at times.

I felt our young attacking duo did well enough, but I’m not seeing huge potential just yet… Ferguson though is a genuine striker, in that he had one chance and in it went.

Mitoma was bitty, and Van Hecke looked very uncomfortable with the ball at his feet and is massively one footed… Lamptey was all over the shop like an over enthusiastic kid on the playground… Mac was pressed into errors and looked tired, Caicedo was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch, and even he was bitty.

Undav and Encisco both brilliantly illustrated just how good Welbz is…

To be fair, it wasn’t a huge surprise given that it was a pretty experimental lineup…

Job done, not convincing but we’re still there!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Sanctimonious bollocks.

Sure. So the right way to go about saying performances have dipped is to single out individual players like Undav and slag him off at every opportunity. Serves absolutely no purpose. He's an Albion striker, he will be until the summer at least, he's clearly had a tough time so far and is lacking a bit of confidence but seems a good bloke. Maybe people can get behind him and see what happens. As long as he gives his all, that's ok by me.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Sure. So the right way to go about saying performances have dipped is to single out individual players like Undav and slag him off at every opportunity. Serves absolutely no purpose. He's an Albion striker, he will be until the summer at least, he's clearly had a tough time so far and is lacking a bit of confidence but seems a good bloke. Maybe people can get behind him and see what happens. As long as he gives his all, that's ok by me.
Sadly this level of football is not about 'nice chaps'.
Unfortunately you have to pee or get off the pot.

So far, from what we have seen, some players are struggling to produce. They will be give the opportunity to do so, but if they're not up to it then we move on.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Sadly this level of football is not about 'nice chaps'.
Unfortunately you have to pee or get off the pot.

So far, from what we have seen, some players are struggling to produce. They will be give the opportunity to do so, but if they're not up to it then we move on.
Every youngster who performed last night clearly has the potential to become a top level player so goodness knows what you're watching. You sound like just the type of 'supporter' they need to help them do that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here