Stoke Away - Advice Required

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roddy

Feb 14, 2005
Me and a mate are planning to see The Albion up at Stoke next month but I'm in two minds whether or not to take my children aged 7 and 9.

I've followed The Albion for many, many years and have been to several potentially "dodgy" away games in the past but not with my children. I realise that Stoke aren't in the Millwall/Cardiff category but also know that they have their fair share of idiots.

I've checked on the usual internet guides for information on parking and such like but was wondering if anyone had any further info which will help me make my decision.

Thanks.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Its fine if you follow all the usual precautions. Don't go to the centre for a pre match drink or wearing colours. Stoke is one of the poorest areas in the country and it is like a time warp in places.

Last time we went, we parked at the Powerleague 5 a side car park (you really can't miss it trust me, its right by the stadium) and had a pre match pint there. No hint of trouble, although the beer was terrible.

I do remember a Stoke fan being chucked out for fighting another Stoke fan last time and Tony Rougier hitting the corner flag from the 6 yard box with a free header.

Albion Rob

Roddy said:
Me and a mate are planning to see The Albion up at Stoke next month but I'm in two minds whether or not to take my children aged 7 and 9.

I've followed The Albion for many, many years and have been to several potentially "dodgy" away games in the past but not with my children. I realise that Stoke aren't in the Millwall/Cardiff category but also know that they have their fair share of idiots.

I've checked on the usual internet guides for information on parking and such like but was wondering if anyone had any further info which will help me make my decision.

Thanks.

I finished uni there in 2002 and will tell you what i know.

I never saw any serious trouble there. Their idiot elemnt only turn out for local derbies/high profile games etc. They also seem to be quite big on the 'hooligan ethics' up there and so I would very much doubt you will have any trouble if you're just a normal fan with kids. Added to this, a lot of their 'boys' have been banned (there was a massive purge after the riot against Cardiff).

The atmosphere is generally a bit intimifdating but the police up there have got their act tgether since that Cardiff game and are generally pretty well organised.

Outside the ground after can feel a bit intimidating as you're just surrounded but Igenerally found Stokies to be quite likeable and fairly knowledgeable about football - you're more likely to get into a chat about prospects for the rest of the season than to get a smack in the mouth.

Couple of other pointers, the ground is a long way from any kind of town and I think the car park is usually filled by home members so you may be best ringing ahead and checking out the situation.

I reckon as long as you don't behave in such a way as if you're looking for a fight (I'm sure you wouldn't) then you'll be fine.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I parked in that Power League car aprk last time too and it was pretty good, if a bit slow to get out of afterwards. Just by the ground and although the beer was pretty shit it seemed friendly enough and there was a decent atmosphere.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
The burberry buffoons mainly turn up for big games (they were out in force for the Leeds game by all accounts) but I can't see our clash being described as such.

Parking is an arse. The car-park around the stadium is a nightmare to get out of after the game but you can find some spaces in the factory car-parks around the ground. The Booker cash&carry one was popular and is quite close to the A500 and the stadium.

Don't go for a drink in Stoke town centre. Most of the pubs are home fan only and are generally real dives. Like the Old West saloons where the piano stops playing when a stranger enters. Still remember the change in atmosphere when I went into the Commercial Inn on London Road for a pint. That was when I lived near the place as well.

The Power League by the Stadium is mostly populated by replica shirt clad supporters who should be welcoming. Like the Harvester by the Stadium it does get packed on matchday.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I shouldn't think there'd be any trouble at Stoke - my Dad was happy to take me in the home end at the old ground when I was young, so I can't see a problem now.

I shall be going up for this game with my Dad in tow (his first game since the play-off final). Though I have my own pre-match arrangements as my sister lives a little north of Stoke, and there is a nice pub just opposite her house.

Albion Rob

Albion Dan said:
Were getting the train up, how do you get from the town to teh ground?

It's a really long walk. Head for Stoke town centre (as opposed to Hanley city centre) from the train station, when you get to the Wetherspoons, walk take the road on the left (goes past wollies) and keep on walking down that road, it goes on for ages. When you get most of the way along there you will pick up the crowds anyway, they get decent attendances and loads of them walk to games to stop at the rough pubs on the way. You will see the stadium a long way off but don't be deceived, it looks close but is really a long way off as it is on a hill.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Albion Dan said:

Not sure if you'll be herded around like cattle as we were, but we walked out of the station into row after row of riot police and were herded onto double deceker buses that they then forced us to pay for to get us to the Brittannia (and back again after the game, though they held us back for 40 minutes before letting us get on the buses).

It's walkable but tis a fair way from the station. Taxi would be your best bet if the police let you.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Albion Dan said:

Taxi rank is at the end of platform 1. Think the fare would be about 4/5 quid. They're official cabs so the driver will know where he's going, unlike many of the cheapo mini-cab companies employees.

Buses leave from Stoke town centre opposite the church. Turn right out of the front entrance and walk down towards the Roebuck. Turn right at the traffic junction and go under the railway bridge and over the A500. Take a left at the end of the bridge over the A500 towards the Glebe. Buses leave from the stop a few hundred yards ahead, opposite Harry's Bar. I spent many, many hours in those two establishments but on match-days they're home fan only.

There's two routes to use if walking. You could follow the directions for the buses, go past the bus stops, dog-leg left and follow Campbell Road to the stadium. This route will take you past the old Victoria Ground site that's still unused. Or go down the steps on the LHS after going under the rail bridge and go down to the canal. Go right and follow the towpath to the ground.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
I think its already been mentioned but the 5 a side place (I think its called 'Strikers' now) is really a good place to park, although I seem to remember that it cost £3. apart from that its also a good place to go for a drink as its very family orientated although I have only been there for U21 games.

All in all i've always thought that trouble at Stoke is pretty much limited to the train station/ town centre and never seen any round the ground even before the event of the spectacular (ahem) Britania Stadium

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Starry said:
Not sure if you'll be herded around like cattle as we were, but we walked out of the station into row after row of riot police and were herded onto double deceker buses that they then forced us to pay for to get us to the Brittannia (and back again after the game, though they held us back for 40 minutes before letting us get on the buses).

It's walkable but tis a fair way from the station. Taxi would be your best bet if the police let you.

I think you got hit by the biggest security "lock down" in Stoke since the Cardiff play-off game in 2002. For us "nice" supporters (;) ) they won't be so draconian. Did you connect with a train service or did they make you wait at the station for half an hour? I remember once seeing a huge line of Birmingham fans being forced to wait outside the station for their train after they'd played Port Vale. They looked like a load of naughty schoolkids waiting outside the headmasters office!

And judging by Ali's post, it seems like taxi prices might have risen a bit since I last used one.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
RoyalAli said:
Taxi cost about £8 for 4 of us.
Quite surprised you have THREE friends.

:tosser:

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
RoyalAli said:
Wow, you're clever aren't you?

You must be pretty pathetic to try and hide the holes in your own life by making immature comments about mine?

:jester:

maybe you should take ROUGGERS on trisha.

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
RoyalAli said:
Wow, you're clever aren't you?

You must be pretty pathetic to try and hide the holes in your own life by making immature comments about mine?

:ohmy:

Don't be such a BITCH.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
My lifes just DANDY Sally, just DANDY.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
You see SALLY, you are making a fool of yourself yet again:jester: