Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Whoever it is that is abusing Stockdale on Twitter should be ashamed of themselves. I thought our fans were better than that.

Is he/she definitely an Albion fan? A BBC tv prog recently mentioned that spurs groups getting trolled on twitter, by alleged other spurs fans with opposing views, could quite possibly be fans of other clubs. Who knows over the internet.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Is he/she definitely an Albion fan? A BBC tv prog recently mentioned that spurs groups getting trolled on twitter, by alleged other spurs fans with opposing views, could quite possibly be fans of other clubs. Who knows over the internet.

Well no you cannot tell, but as they retweet just about everything Brighton related, they must be a really sad case if they are not an Albion fan!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
In a pretty batshit crazy season, I reckon those who will keep on denying Stockdale ever makes a mistake take top spot - NSC's version of climate change deniers

Similar to those who blame him for everything. You are pathetic. Nobody claims Stockdale has not made mistakes but idiots like you pretty much blame him every time we concede a goal whether he could have done anything about it or not (even if you weren't at the game and haven't seen it).

Only six teams have conceded less than us in the league. On the other hand, only five teams have scored less. It doesn't take a genius to work out Stockdale is not the reason we're struggling down the bottom (and nor is the defence), yet it is beyond people like you.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I blame Cantor, it seems that almost every time we concede, he subtlety blames the keeper. Our merry band of radio fans on the match thread then jump on the same old bandwagon.
Once again, when fans that were at the game come on, it proves to be wrong again.
Never stops them though.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Whoever it is that is abusing Stockdale on Twitter should be ashamed of themselves. I thought our fans were better than that.

I don't like it either but also don't think DS should be replying. He replied to the 'We Are Brighton' tweet that was sent in the actual game and he wasn't even tagged in bit wanted a row. He should be more professional and ignore it or spend less time on Twitter imo.

As for the bloke 'abusing' him today - it's not actually that bad at all compared to other trolling ive seen on Twitter.

And DS really should have done much better on that 2nd goal - deflection or no deflection...

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Argus view of Wigan's 2nd goal "But poor defending by Greg Halford allowed Mac-Antoine Fortune to cross and Perch grab what had looked an unlikely winner" No mention of Stockdale?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I don't like it either but also don't think DS should be replying. He replied to the 'We Are Brighton' tweet that was sent in the actual game and he wasn't even tagged in bit wanted a row. He should be more professional and ignore it or spend less time on Twitter imo.

As for the bloke 'abusing' him today - it's not actually that bad at all compared to other trolling ive seen on Twitter.

And DS really should have done much better on that 2nd goal - deflection or no deflection...

I agree he should not get involved.

He has also got a lot of support from other fans as well, but ultimately, I do not get twitter and do not understand why someone in the public eye would want to go on there as, as far as I can tell, the negatives outway the positives. But each to their own.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
This has been said on many threads about him. What made you suggest this again today? Did you fault him for their goal or goals. I will watch the FL Show later. Brother reckoned the 2nd was due to a defender getting badly turned but couldnt identify who it was.

It was Halford.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Anybody watching the highlights cannot deny that it was definitely a fumble by Stockdale after very poor defending by our defenders. Interesting point is that nobody other than Greer appealed for offside when surely a player standing on the goal line had to be offside yes the pass went backwards but the shot on goal which followed didnt.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Anybody watching the highlights cannot deny that it was definitely a fumble by Stockdale after very poor defending by our defenders. Interesting point is that nobody other than Greer appealed for offside when surely a player standing on the goal line had to be offside yes the pass went backwards but the shot on goal which followed didnt.

If the pass went backwards then logically, he can't be offside, can he?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

That was my point 2 moves. 1 to pass back put that player onside irrespective but the 2nd move was his shot and when he took it a Wigan player was standing next to DS so would have been in his vision and perhaps distracted him and his concentration. To my way of thinking it was offside, not that it matters now but takes some of the blame from DS.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing

I think it was so close that for him to do anything other than parry it would be asking a lot.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It might be hard to find someone who never admits Stockdale has made a mistake, but I think in every thread that has blamed him for a goal, there has been at least one person arguing he did nothing wrong (which, admittedly, is quite easy and fair for some of those threads given how quick some people are to blame him), which gives the impression there are people who refuse to admit he did anything wrong.

This is a list of goals conceded:

Watford 49
Bournemouth 45
Middlesbrough 34
Norwich 45
Derby 50
Ipswich 50
Brentford 59
Wolves 54
Blackburn 55
Charlton 56
Nottm Forest 65
Sheff Wed 47
Cardiff 58
Birmingham 64
Huddersfield 73
Leeds 60
Bolton 64
Fulham 76
Reading 64
Brighton 52
Rotherham 65
Millwall 67
Wigan 60
Blackpool 88

Only the top six teams have conceded fewer goals than us. You can go through Stockdale's big errors and his big saves and say this one cost us those points, this one gained us these points. I know, I did it ( if you're interested). But look at that list above. We're as low as we are because of our inability to score.

This is goals scored:

Watford 88
Bournemouth 92
Middlesbrough 65
Norwich 83
Derby 82
Ipswich 68
Brentford 73
Wolves 65
Blackburn 59
Charlton 54
Nottm Forest 69
Sheff Wed 43
Cardiff 52
Birmingham 51
Huddersfield 56
Leeds 48
Bolton 55
Fulham 56
Reading 44
Brighton 44
Rotherham 43
Millwall 37
Wigan 39
Blackpool 34

Only five teams have scored fewer goals than us.

That is why we are down the bottom.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Is that the case now?
I thought it was right when I was playing all those years ago, but there seems to be nothing in Law 11 now about being onside if the ball is played backwards (irrespective of where the player is).

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Maybe you didn't watch the highlights yourself.
He wasn't on the goal line, and he wasn't offside.
(sorry about the poor pic)

Attachments

• onside.JPG
    onside.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
This season from 44 league games we have had 12 clean sheets, but failed to score in 17 .

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
i think your picture is fractionally too early when watching on FL Show he was definitely level with DS when DS tried to make the save but it is difficult to see where he was when the shot was taken but Greer, who was our nearest player, did raise his arm. As I say not that it matters but could have had an affect on DS out of the corner of his eye.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I blame Cantor, it seems that almost every time we concede, he subtlety blames the keeper. Our merry band of radio fans on the match thread then jump on the same old bandwagon.
Once again, when fans that were at the game come on, it proves to be wrong again.
Never stops them though.

I hate having to listen to Johnny Cantor when I cannot get to matches, as you can't tell where the ball is on the pitch half of the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here