Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale Contract

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
100%

I think the lure of being first choice could swing it for us, especially as everyone seems to comment on how brilliant the package shown to new recruits is. Butland chose Stoke over Chelsea because he wanted to play, if he's now not first choice there after his injury problems then there's no reason history wouldn't repeat himself. You'd hope Pickford would asses his options in a similar fashion next season, although I think he's likely to be more in demand. Wouldn't be shocked if one of the Merseyside clubs came in for him, because IMO he's at least on a par with anything they have currently.

Both would cost a fair amount due to their age and nationality but if they came remotely close to fulfilling gathering potential then it's going to be a solid investment either way.

Butland is injured at the moment, Grant is a stop gap keeper - who just happened to have done very well - Butland will be back as number 1 next season and in the England set up.

Good shout on the Liverpool clubs, I can see Hart going to Liverpool and Pickford going to Everton, I would love him at Spurs as the long term replacement for Hugo.

Spurs signing him and loaning him to Brighton for the season :D

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Christ, bloody no chance i assume that was a joke !

Don't get me wrong, it's optimistic to a near mental level, but I see Pickford as probably right on the border of realistic.

Is he going to want to stay in Sunderland in the Championship? Possibly, but he's in a prime position to force himself in to the England squad so I'd hazard a guess that he'd rather stay in the Prem if possible.

Are one of the big clubs going to gamble on him as first choice? He's only played 20-25 games in the Premier League IIRC. I think he's in need of 1/2 more seasons at his current level before he moves up to a top 6 team.

Which leaves from 7th down in the Prem. Not all of them need a keeper. Bournemouth are apparently after Boruc again, Stoke; despite what I said, will probably stick with Butland next year. Burnley have Heatom. West Brom & Saints will keep Foster & Forster.

So who is realistically going to come in for him and be able to offer first team football? Palace,Watford, West Ham. Maybe Newcastle if they come up but will Sunderland do business with them and would he go there?

There are a few big clubs that might take the risk, but if they aren't willing to give him first team football and he's driven enough to want that then I honestly think we'd be in with an outside chance.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Don't get me wrong, it's optimistic to a near mental level, but I see Pickford as probably right on the border of realistic.

Is he going to want to stay in Sunderland in the Championship? Possibly, but he's in a prime position to force himself in to the England squad so I'd hazard a guess that he'd rather stay in the Prem if possible.

Are one of the big clubs going to gamble on him as first choice? He's only played 20-25 games in the Premier League IIRC. I think he's in need of 1/2 more seasons at his current level before he moves up to a top 6 team.

Which leaves from 7th down in the Prem. Not all of them need a keeper. Bournemouth are apparently after Boruc again, Stoke; despite what I said, will probably stick with Butland next year. Burnley have Heatom. West Brom & Saints will keep Foster & Forster.

So who is realistically going to come in for him and be able to offer first team football? Palace,Watford, West Ham. Maybe Newcastle if they come up but will Sunderland do business with them and would he go there?

There are a few big clubs that might take the risk, but if they aren't willing to give him first team football and he's driven enough to want that then I honestly think we'd be in with an outside chance.

Dont forget Newcastle have Krul coming back

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Had a very interesting conversation with a reliable source this afternoon.

He explained it as follows:

Club want to offer Stockdale a one year contract with an option for a second year, Stockdale obviously wants longer term security.

Club very much see Walton as the future hence the reluctance to give a longer term contract to DS.

Negotiations ongoing in the background with promotion to the PL being the priority for the club (quite rightly at the moment)

Maenpaa also to be offered a contract extension, club very keen to develop sanchez and he could replace Ankergren as one of the senior keepers next season.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Butland is injured at the moment, Grant is a stop gap keeper - who just happened to have done very well - Butland will be back as number 1 next season and in the England set up.

Good shout on the Liverpool clubs, I can see Hart going to Liverpool and Pickford going to Everton, I would love him at Spurs as the long term replacement for Hugo.

Spurs signing him and loaning him to Brighton for the season :D

Agree with all of this, Pickford can't and won't spend anymore time as a no2, he is just too good to do that and needs more games.

His price must be 20-25 million.

Stockdale has done terrific for us, I hope he stays and signs an new deal, pretty confident he will, and is one of a few players we have woth Premier League experience.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
He looked rusty understandably, no chance with the goals though, proper unit !

The thing I like about him is he seems to learn from his mistakes, he was pretty poor the first few months for Stoke, then improved massively - his injury came at the worst time.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

I can see all of the top 6 and Everton trying to get hold of Pickford he is that good in my opinion, I personally would be staggered if he went anywhere else.

He is better than the City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Everton keepers already, and with De Gea,Courtios and Lloris all having being linked at some stage with big moves away I can see why they would all be keeping a close eye on Pickford, he certainly wont get any cheaper....

As has been said a purchase and loan out for another year, possibly... unlikely though.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Had a very interesting conversation with a reliable source this afternoon.

He explained it as follows:

Club want to offer Stockdale a one year contract with an option for a second year, Stockdale obviously wants longer term security.

Club very much see Walton as the future hence the reluctance to give a longer term contract to DS.

Negotiations ongoing in the background with promotion to the PL being the priority for the club (quite rightly at the moment)

Maenpaa also to be offered a contract extension, club very keen to develop sanchez and he could replace Ankergren as one of the senior keepers next season.

I think the club are being stingy in this situation. Walton is still very young in keeper terms, so I can't see why Stocko can't be offered two years.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am sure an agreement with Stockdale will be reached as regards wages and length of contract, both taken into account, and hope fully Maenpaa signed and Walton sent on a season loan to a side aiming for the top of Div 1 or even a championship side. If the takeover goes through how about to Portsmouth who will have money to spend.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Yes, I heard him say exactly the same thing at a Q & A session, with the supporters' club. Agents won't let their players sign contracts with those clauses.

I think most players do accept ''relegation clause'' - Perhaps not the ones whose contracts are due for renewal now but what happens is they bring forward the ones who have a few years left to run and re-negotiate their contract. They then get an improved deal based on being in PL , early on but with the ''relegation clause'' built in.

The ones who's contracts are up now. It wouldn't be prudent of the club not to try and get such a clause put into any new contract - Then if they won't agree to it, that's when they go back to the Manager and say ''How much do you really wanna keep him because he won't accept a relegation clause''

I don't actually think that there are any players whos contracts are up for renewal who's abilities are such that they are good enough to dictate. All the really important ones who could conceivably have held out have signed deals fairly recently. Although I don't really know for sure who is out of contract come the end of the season.

Dunk, Duffy, Knockeart etc all signed new deals fairly recently. Agents are far more realistic these days because if they don't sign and they go to another PL side then there will be relegation clauses there as well.

You don't see many Nicola Zigic contracts any more where he sat for 4 years on £65K per week in the Championship and refused to move or go out on loan

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I personally think a one year contract with an option for a second would be smart for any player towards the end of their contract right now. We simply have no idea who will make the step up and who won't. 1 year to prove you're good enough. The only problem with that is if we go down and find ourselves needing to replace people.

Or maybe quadrupling his money, along with the chance to play in the Champions League and win one of the cups would appeal to him more. 2 years at Chelsea sets him and his family up for life, and would still give him a couple more years of football at the end of his career.

This with bells on.

All 3 potentially relegated teams have decent keepers, Fabianski & Pickford are both let down by shithouse defences, whilst Valdez is in a team who simply can't score. All 3 are considerably better than Stockdale IMHO. Then when it comes to back-up keepers, there's Vorm, Begovic, Grant/Butland, Stekelenburg etc.

I'd argue that all of the above are an upgrade on Stockdale,apart from Grant who's about equal.

You think he'd be better than Pickford, Hart, Forster & Butland?

Brave call.

I'd certainly say that if we replaced a leaner DS with any of those 4 then it wouldn't be improving the team in any way for next season.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'd certainly say that if we replaced a leaner DS with any of those 4 then it wouldn't be improving the team in any way for next season.

I think you underestimate just how good those 4 are.... I am not a massive Hart fan - but he is better than Stockdale.

if you put those 4 and Stockdale on the open market, Stockdale would be the last to be picked up

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think you underestimate just how good those 4 are.... I am not a massive Hart fan - but he is better than Stockdale.

if you put those 4 and Stockdale on the open market, Stockdale would be the last to be picked up

I havent seen him very often but where would you place Vorm in relation to Stockdale. Unlike you I believe Hart is by far the best English keeper..

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.

That is 100% true but perhaps not a reflection on the fabric of our squad and next season's requirements. Still though, I probably am wearing a pair of John Inverdale's Rose ****ed glasses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here