Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Still need a striker? (merged)

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I agree. Possibly with no out and out striker, in a true "false 9"?

TBH, I can only see Dobbie playing the Barnes type role. Therefore, has Gus brought him in to play? or just as cover?

Same for Hammond is he another squad signing (cover for Crofty) or Dickers replacement?

I'm glad Gus will have the headaches re team selection.. He'll earn his bread this season that's for sure.

I'm confused:shrug::dunce:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
TBH, I can only see Dobbie playing the Barnes type role. Therefore, has Gus brought him in to play? or just as cover?

Same for Hammond is he another squad signing (cover for Crofty) or Dickers replacement?

I'm glad Gus will have the headaches re team selection.. He'll earn his bread this season that's for sure.

I'm confused:shrug::dunce:

If Gus has been after Dobbie all summer, as he says, then it would not be as cover for anyone! Gus also appears to be an admirer of Hammond, so again, unlikely he is here as cover for anyone. Beyond that, I don't have a clue what Gus has in mind other than that we may now actually see Gus' preferred style of play executed properly, and with players capable of making it exciting and fruitful in terms of goals.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I think Hammond signing on loan is a bit odd - surplus to what we need? With all the midfield strength we've got now, can't see Dicker or Harley getting another look in.

If Dean Keeps Harley off of the pitch then he will have been worth every fcuking penny

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Would still like a more physical presence up front, but its been a good night. I'm surprised we didn't see more outgoings Harley etc.....

I agree, but you cannot make clubs buy them. Perhaps loans in a week or so?
For sure they are not likely to get many games with us and in their own interest, being out of contract at the end of the season, they need to play this year in order to get a good deal next year.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
If Gus has been after Dobbie all summer, as he says, then it would not be as cover for anyone! Gus also appears to be an admirer of Hammond, so again, unlikely he is here as cover for anyone. Beyond that, I don't have a clue what Gus has in mind other than that we may now actually see Gus' preferred style of play executed properly, and with players capable of making it exciting and fruitful in terms of goals.

Lets hope so, it's sure gonna be interesting to see the next few games line ups :thumbsup:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I'm sure we do need another striker. We can only get 90 day loans in the loan window, but that takes us most of the way until January, where perhaps we'll get someone more permanent.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Haven't got a clue how Gus is going to set up or for that matter keep all these players happy. Suspect we'll be more and more like Spain with just one man up front but goals coming from everywhere. Looked at the starting 11 thread last night for ages and could not come to a conclusion at all other than lots of rotation.

So he might go for a big target man as a loan if he can get the right quality. If not I think Gus will be happy now.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ashley Barnes will do what he does best: confound his critics and contribute far more than his fair share of goals. With a tightened defence not shipping many goals and our army of attacking midfielders hopefully pinging them in from all over the place, a new striker may well not be needed.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
No need for a striker now, Dobbie will do the business.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You'd trade it ALL in? So Bruno, Bridge, Crofts, Hammond, Lopez and Dobbie, for 1 striker? That's a bit silly.

oops - and Orlandi!
Good point, sorry Tomasz.

So Kuszczak, Bruno, Bridge, Crofts, Hammond, Lopez, Dobbie and Orlandi, Noone out. Wow.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
No. We don't need a striker. We paid a lot of money for a striker we don't use. Why buy another one to run around and deliver crosses that he should be in the middle to meet ? Gus doesn't really play with a striker. We have little nippy chaps to follow in our clever play and score. We can thus score - like some other teams I'm sure you all know about - whilst not playing "traditional" strikers. This is the Gus way. And when we get to the Premier League in 3/4 years time,perhaps we will make an offer to Michael Owen who will,presumably,still be looking for "the right club".

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But I wouldn't call Zamora lambert holt and Roberts lumps
But if you thought we were getting someone like Zamora or Lambert you were in cloud cuckoo land.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Now that we have a strong base in central midfield with Crofts, Hammond and Bridcutt, the lack of a muscular striker doesn't matter so much. Plenty of goals elsewhere in the team and the first 2 of those midfielders are both excellent at getting into the box to meet crosses.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Do Barcelona , real Madrid & Spain have a target man

Do they play in the English Championship - without over-reacting Refs?
I don't agree with much you say Pork Pie, but I agree with this. The reason Spain have been so successful is a) they have the best players in the world and my mum could manage them to glory, and b) the WC and Euros are played in the heat which suits a possession game, and also the Spanish players are used to (the heat). That style does not suit our league so well, where the opposition can run around for 90 minutes with no fear of extra time.

Still, with the quality of the squad we have, we should be competitive.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I don't agree with much you say Pork Pie, but I agree with this. The reason Spain have been so successful is a) they have the best players in the world and my mum could manage them to glory, and b) the WC and Euros are played in the heat which suits a possession game, and also the Spanish players are used to (the heat). That style does not suit our league so well, where the opposition can run around for 90 minutes with no fear of extra time.

Still, with the quality of the squad we have, we should be competitive.

I think the physicality of The Championship is another factor. And Refs offer a lot less protection than foreign ones.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here