Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Still keeping the faith with Potter?

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Couldn't give a shit about the style of play. We were brainwashed by Poyet in League 1 but soon saw style wasn't everything.

The main thing is at the moment we look like staying up. Happy with that.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am one of the few who still regards Poyet as an Albion legend... and even I would say what we're experiencing now under Potter surpasses what Poyet did with that struggling League One team who went on to win the league "****ing brilliantly".

Our time in the Premier League so far has been as expected. We have been relegation fodder who has relied on rigid defensive displays to grind out results.

Not anymore.

Under Potter, we are playing like the big clubs do. We're coming at our opposition with confidence. We're dominating possession. We're making and scoring plenty of opportunities. We can beat sides including the Champions League finalists 3-0 on our day.

We go 1-0 up. Sit back and defend? No. We're looking for a 2nd. A third. Like the big clubs play.

Down to 10 men? Backs to the wall? No. We will stick to our philosophy and play football. We were so unlucky not to get a deserved point v Villa.

Potter has been a true revolution so far. I really can't believe how a manager can change a club so much in such a short time.

We were not unlucky but more down to being naive other than that I would agree. We deserved a point but couldnt play to get one.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Why on earth would one not (keep faith with Potter)

Other than some red cards (moments of madness) and questionable decisions we would be seriously further up that table.

None of those were down to Graham Potter who has made the Albion a pleasure to watch in just a few short months should say weeks !

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How many times did we score 3 in a game last season?

If we didn't have men sent off v Southampton and Villa, chances are we'd be appropriately higher than 9 goals in.

I don't think our goalscoring is, or will be, an issue this season. Those two unfortunate games are really disguising how good we have been this season, in every department.

I largely agree. As I tweeted on Saturday evening, in a parallel universe right now, another Brighton & Hove Albion have had a little bit more rub of the green and are sitting pretty in the top four right now.

...but you said we are scoring plenty, and I still contend we are not (yet).

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We were not unlucky but more down to being naive other than that I would agree. We deserved a point but couldnt play to get one.

Tend to agree, luck didn't come into it. We needed to keep good shape and see the game out, so when Targett got in behind us, it was naive...... IMO

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If we deserved a point but didn't get one, then we are by definition unlucky.

No not true, we deserved a point by the way that we played until the 4th minute of added time and were undone by stupid play. Gross should never have had a speculative shot to give Heaton the ball he should have ushered March down to the corner flag and given him the ball or similar with somebody down the right.. Very poor and naive.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I love Potter's style of football.

To the idiots who base everything on the results, we lost 4-0 to City, had more possession than City throughout the game, plus Guardiola really praised us and our footballing style. I personally thought the game against City up until the Spurs game was the best football we'd ever played in my eyes even so we lost 4-0.

Yesterday Palace played City, only had 29% possession, 2 shots on target but only lost 2-0. The fools who claim results are everything would have Palace down as doing better than us based on stats, but in reality, we played like a team who could match City for possession and had a fair few chances to nab a goal. We did miles better than Palace but yet according to results they did better than us which proves we've got to stop with this 'results mean everything' crap and sit back and realise the football we're now watching, the more competitively even matches we get to enjoy, the attractiveness in our football and how this style will not only suit more skilled, talented players but it'll attract more too.

a truly great time to be a Brighton fan. Enjoy.

Potter= The English Wenger. .

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You don't get points based on how well you play, you get them based on scoring as many or more goals than your opponents. We are struggling with that. Still. That final third is still a problem area. I know others think we would have gone on to score a boatload with 11 men. But we had 11 men v burnley and only got 1. 11 v west ham and only got 1. People will point to getting 3 against Tottenham, so I don't think it's unreasonable to point out we had 11 v Man City (a city who haven't been as dominant early this season, who we had chances against) and a young Chelsea side and got no goals. For all we know, we might have struggled to add to the one we scored (as we have done too often this season) despite the sort of dominance we showed v Newcastle (where we also failed to convert that pressure to goals).

I find it so frustrating that it impacts on my enjoyment of the game. All that good work in the first two thirds undone by poor decision making and/or poor execution in the final third.

Those issues were there under Hughton (and Sammi, and Poyet...) - in the premier league, at least. But, under Hughton we didn't get so many chances so there was less frustration in those particular failings, just boredom.

I think we get too caught up in the idea of failed attacks = better, more deserving of a win than successful defence. No, I'm not saying I loved the football under Hughton, I just don't automatically think attacking a lot means you deserve more than you end up getting out of a game if you can't convert your chances or breakdown a stout defence, or that attacking more is better.

So as poor as the football was under Hughton, I don't know if the more attacking football under Potter is enough to overcome the increasingly notable frustrations and limitations of our final third play. I don't know if I'd rather be bored, but relaxed, or frustrated and annoyed.

But, I don't hold Potter responsible for this... yet. He has had one transfer window (which closed before he saw his players in a competitive match), and a quarter of a season. Either through coaching, or along with the rest of those responsible, bringing in replacements, I'm giving him time to worm on and improve that part of the team.

To be honest, though, I don't think I ever lose faith in our managers. I may get angry and disappointed with results or form, but I don't like calling for managers to go, and football can be weird and a single game can spark a turn around in fortune, another transfer window can change things, so I cling to the idea that if those with the power to actually sack them decide to keep a manager on (and let me be clear, I don't think those people are anywhere near considering if they have to make that decision, nor do I think they should be), that change will come.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I love Potter's style of football.

To the idiots who base everything on the results, we lost 4-0 to City, had more possession than City throughout the game, plus Guardiola really praised us and our footballing style. I personally thought the game against City up until the Spurs game was the best football we'd ever played in my eyes even so we lost 4-0.

Yesterday Palace played City, only had 29% possession, 2 shots on target but only lost 2-0. The fools who claim results are everything would have Palace down as doing better than us based on stats, but in reality, we played like a team who could match City for possession and had a fair few chances to nab a goal. We did miles better than Palace but yet according to results they did better than us which proves we've got to stop with this 'results mean everything' crap and sit back and realise the football we're now watching, the more competitively even matches we get to enjoy, the attractiveness in our football and how this style will not only suit more skilled, talented players but it'll attract more too.

a truly great time to be a Brighton fan. Enjoy.

Potter= The English Wenger. .

Don't be too proud of this systematical terror Potter’s constructed. The ability to destroy another team is insignificant next to the power of the VARce.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here