Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stewart Lee at the Dome tonight

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Saw him the other week in London for the first time and have to say I was disappointed. Ok, so he was high as a kite after breaking his ankle, so may have not got the full authentic Lee experience, but just didn't find it funny. It was drawn out, haphazard, no real cohesion to the show, the gurneying was weird, definitely not the show I was expecting. That's ok though, lots of people in the audience did, bloke behind us was in hysterics.
Do you mean gurning rather than gurneying? He does love a long drawn out, repetitive bit somewhere in the show that most people find interminable. I think it's something to do with his love of free jazz. The bit in Tornado where he acts Ricky Gervais 'Saying the Unsayable' had gurning for absolutely ages. When I saw it live I was in bits, as every time he failed he would try again, but not before some lovely bits of really well observed mime that made it obvious it was Gervais, capturing his onstage mannerisms perfectly. The TV recording seemed to have less focus on the impression and more just on the faces and wasn't as funny.

Did you see Snowflake/Tornado or his latest show BasicLee? The latter has only just started and will develop. He always plays a huge number of nights at The Leicester Square Theatre and the show changes. I saw him in Brighton a few years back when he was doing 'in progress' shows to be developed as part of Comedy Vehicle. Some was a long way from what it became by the time it was recorded.

When I saw him after lockdown at the De La Warr, there was a malfunction with the prop that ends Tornado. It fell early when the curtain was pulled and it hit the stage behind him, missing him by a couple of feet. He rode the incident so well that we were confused for a short while as to whether it was deliberate. Had he been a couple of paces back from the front of the stage, it could have killed him. Had he seen what happened from our angle, he may have been a lot more shaken than he seemed.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Seems maybe he's just not for me and I except that, comedy is all about different strokes for different folks. I'll admit I've not really watched him before, but went more on the fact that other friends said how good he was and thought, might as well give him a go and see what the fuss is about. Glad I've seen him, but will leave him to his fans now.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Seems maybe he's just not for me and I except that, comedy is all about different strokes for different folks. I'll admit I've not really watched him before, but went more on the fact that other friends said how good he was and thought, might as well give him a go and see what the fuss is about. Glad I've seen him, but will leave him to his fans now.
He's a tough sell cold I reckon. It's like he's always deconstructing what a comedian does rather than outright comedy. Constantly shining a light in the face of the absurdity of someone making a living by making people laugh. He partly has contempt for the audience for paying to see him, as well as contempt for himself doing it, but also takes you on a journey, testing what he can get away with - hence the really uncomfortable moments such as the Gervais saying the unsayable, summed up by the Mum'sNet review 'it was too long' to which he replied 'like that bit has a length of time it should be' it's a challenge to the audience. He's able to mock, parody, and satirise his own work within his own act. I genuinely think he is a genius, but equally accept going to see him for the first time may leave people scratching their heads thinking WTF was that!?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’m off to see the chap tonight at The Dome. Very much looking forward to it…. Anyone seen the new tour ?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I’m off to see the chap tonight at The Dome. Very much looking forward to it…. Anyone seen the new tour ?
I have seen it twice, different venues. No spoilers but the same “thing” happened at both performances. It felt a lot less special the second time around.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Saw him Wednesday. Seen him throughout his career. As he says himself, he operates within narrow parameters (he’s always done the same thing). You either get him or you don’t. Brilliant.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Saw him Wednesday. Seen him throughout his career. As he says himself, he operates within narrow parameters (he’s always done the same thing). You either get him or you don’t. Brilliant.
Did an entirely natural “incident” occur?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I have seen it twice, different venues. No spoilers but the same “thing” happened at both performances. It felt a lot less special the second time around.
Yeah I get that…. In fact it has to be 90 % scripted… The art is to use that 10% properly. He can do that.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Is that a critique of him generally Tom or this particular show.
Not seen him live admittedly, tho have seen a couple of comedy specials online. Like many have said, you either get him or you don't. I don't. Just felt like I was being bashed over the head with that endless repetition riff thing to the point where it became a headache

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think I get him, and he's incredibly clever. Just don't find him that funny. A bit like Bill Hicks. Genius, visionary, great social commentator etc - sure.

As a comedian? Meh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here