Stewards - Thugs

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
I don't like to spoil a story with the facts, but if you look at the pictures (esp. 5, 6 & 7) you will see that the steward in question did not run over after the man was restrained but was in fact the first one on the scene.

Yes, but what happened between pictures 9 and 10 that justified the steward restraining a guy who was already being led off peacefully by two stewards, one of whom was a response steward and who would presumably be trained in the same techniques as the steward who eventually restrained the guy. If he were violent why did the first response steward not see fit to restrain the guy. And if you look at picture 22 you will see the same steward steaming in again for a piece of the action. He clearly thinks he's some kind of one man police force who must restrain eveything that moves an inch over the hoardings and then celebrate afterwards with his friends.

MOG

Miserable Old Git
Dec 16, 2007
Off My Trolley.
paddy, re pic 22, I see 1 police officer and some stewards around somebody who is in a place he shouldn't have been. I'm afraid I don't see any sign of anybody STEAMING IN.
As regards pics 9 & 10, perhaps the fact that the other steward had released his arm, moved to the other side of him and was reaching for something (possibly a radio to make a report) had something to do with the steward in queston taking over and DOING HIS JOB by restraining the person. This is, of course, all supposition as I can only go by the photos.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
paddy, re pic 22, I see 1 police officer and some stewards around somebody who is in a place he shouldn't have been. I'm afraid I don't see any sign of anybody STEAMING IN.
As regards pics 9 & 10, perhaps the fact that the other steward had released his arm, moved to the other side of him and was reaching for something (possibly a radio to make a report) had something to do with the steward in queston taking over and DOING HIS JOB by restraining the person. This is, of course, all supposition as I can only go by the photos.

Re 22, i was sitting in the stand above that incident and that steward attempted to do the same hand restraint when there was a police officer standing next to him. In both incidents his actions were far from proportionate with the threat posed. The guy clearly regards himself as some kind of superhero and was so pleased with his efforts that he decided to high five his fellow stewards. Loose cannon.

Anyway we are unlikely to agree, so i'll just reiterate that the stewards at Withdean, with the exception of this guy, do a fantastic job.

PCBEARDMLORD

Isn't it ?
Jan 30, 2008
Patcham
I think the stewards mistake was walking him back towards the South Stand. Should have just walked east towards the St Johns bit and straight out.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I am more concerned for the welfare of the second man who we see being led away towards the end of the picture gallery, his only crime appears to be his choice of clothing...perhaps our stewards are really Trinny and Suzannah in disguise!

PCBEARDMLORD

Isn't it ?
Jan 30, 2008
Patcham
However, that was there decision, they have to live with any consequences. The fact that several people on here now hate one paticular steward seems a bit hard.

that is his dad, so perhaps understandable
Is that so?

What a remarkable COINCIDENCE that the person who is reported earlier in this thread to have encroached beyond the barriers ONLY because "a steward had dragged him on there" turns out to be the father of the lad who had been nicked two minutes earlier.

What are the odds of that happening?

And the other guy they dragged away was only on the running track because a steward dragged him on there!!

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Is that so?

What a remarkable COINCIDENCE that the person who is reported earlier in this thread to have encroached beyond the barriers ONLY because "a steward had dragged him on there" turns out to be the father of the lad who had been nicked two minutes earlier.

What are the odds of that happening?

Dont get me wrong, the father of the kid who got knicked was having a go at the stewards (Steward 433 I belive) but he was standing behind the barriers and was only on the running track when he was pushed/pulled on there.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Dont get me wrong, the father of the kid who got knicked was having a go at the stewards (Steward 433 I belive) but he was standing behind the barriers and was only on the running track when he was pushed/pulled on there.

Ali he ran onto the track barging past two people as he did so BUT i had it under control and he was going no further SO i believe that what happened after was a bit out of order

Disclaimer ABOVE IS MY PERSONAL VIEW AND NOT THE CLUBS

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Ali he ran onto the track barging past two people as he did so BUT i had it under control and he was going no further SO i believe that what happened after was a bit out of order

Disclaimer ABOVE IS MY PERSONAL VIEW AND NOT THE CLUBS

I was looking along the line so could only see what happened at and in front of the barrier so I couldnt comment about any barging, just saying my take on the issue.

Did you hear what he said to me then?

You said you hoped he was going to have a go, and he said that based on that statement you shouldnt be a steward, meaning that its the wrong mentality to have!!

(If I am getting two diffrent posts confused then I appologise!)

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
I was looking along the line so could only see what happened at and in front of the barrier so I couldnt comment about any barging, just saying my take on the issue.

Nope he made a break for it wasn't pushed or pulled

You said you hoped he was going to have a go, and he said that based on that statement you shouldnt be a steward, meaning that its the wrong mentality to have!!

(If I am getting two diffrent posts confused then I appologise!)

The bloke was out of order the way he spoke to me and at any other quieter games he would have been ejected and banned for it. Not the wrong mentality at all would just mean another troublemaker out of the stands which is good for the club!!

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
The bloke was out of order the way he spoke to me and at any other quieter games he would have been ejected and banned for it. Not the wrong mentality at all would just mean another troublemaker out of the stands which is good for the club!!

Like I said I was only looking along the line so couldnt see any barging or 'making a break for it' and I was also out of earshot so couldnt hear anything that was said.

In response to your earlier comment, maybe you should have re-phrased that as it does sound like you wanted him to have a go because you wanted some 'trouble'

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
In response to your earlier comment, maybe you should have re-phrased that as it does sound like you wanted him to have a go because you wanted some 'trouble'

All i want when i am working there is a quiet game hence yet another trouble maker would be out of the way for a few games and might make these people realise they cannot behave like that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports