Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stewards - Thugs

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Here are the photos (images 5 to 25 in this gallery):-

Roz South - All Things Brighton Beautiful | BHAFC -v- Swansea

I see no evidence of an assault, just evidence of a standard restraint technique being used.

It looks to me like he is trying to break free when near to the crowd, maybe the only thying stopping him from this is the armlock applied by the steward in question, therefore justified action by the stewards, and NOT an assult in any way

Would there be this debate if the steward acted in exactly the same way, but was thin, or female or didn't look like some peoples sterio-type thug?

Btw, is this the same steward that has been targeted for abuse by 'fans' because he tries to get them to sit down?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
The fella did not exactly look like a thug, dressed in replica shirt and jeans! Stewards out of order.

So are you advocating discrimination then?
you only deal with a pitch invader in a professional manner if they look like a thug? or should they just turn a bllind eye because the pitch invader must be above the law as he is wearing a replica shirt? and because of the pitch invaders build, clothes etc does it mean that he is incapable of then striking a player, official or steward?

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
It looks to me like he is trying to break free when near to the crowd, maybe the only thying stopping him from this is the armlock applied by the steward in question, therefore justified action by the stewards, and NOT an assult in any way

Would there be this debate if the steward acted in exactly the same way, but was thin, or female or didn't look like some peoples sterio-type thug?

Btw, is this the same steward that has been targeted for abuse by 'fans' because he tries to get them to sit down?

I think that the issue is not that the individual was restrained but whether it was "appropriate force"? Wouldn't just holding him under his shoulder and by his wrist have been just as an effective restraint?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
With respect Ed, still photos do not show what went on. I am not bashing stewards per se, infact only 1. In my opinion this guy is a loose cannon and should be at least talked to to explain his whole demeanour and attitude. He almost sparked a riot totally unnecessarily imo. Anyway this thread has been done to death. See you next season ( maybe ).

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No doubt they hate you as well Richie :thumbsup:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

That proves my point as to how misleading still photos are as he was making no attempt whatsoever to break free.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Having been MAN handled by stewards reacting COMPLETELY over the top I have good reason to.

On a par with traffic wardens and night club bouncers.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
As someone who is only looking at the photos it does seem that it all went a bit nasty and OTT because you can see in the first pictures that the Brighton fan was compliant and not making threatening gestures. Then cue to the restraints.....was that really necessary?

Not exactly the way to win hearts and minds, is it? And as for the high-fives after (if that's true) - very poor show and very inflammatory.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Looking closely at the photos I actually think they are quite incriminating. He was restrained and compliant with the 2 stewards and walking off with no attempt to break free when steward 3 barges in and the subsequent shows the arm twisting and hand in the back of the head quite well. It does not show the extent of the arm twisting and look of glee on the stewards face or the whole demeanour and high 5's.

MOG

Miserable Old Git
Dec 16, 2007
Off My Trolley.
How many more times do I have to say it. he was already restrained by two stewards when the other steward took it up himself to run 30 yards and have a piece of the action and assaulted the lad pure and simple.

I don't like to spoil a story with the facts, but if you look at the pictures (esp. 5, 6 & 7) you will see that the steward in question did not run over after the man was restrained but was in fact the first one on the scene.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Looking closely at the photos I actually think they are quite incriminating. He was restrained and compliant with the 2 stewards and walking off with no attempt to break free when steward 3 barges in and the subsequent shows the arm twisting and hand in the back of the head quite well. It does not show the extent of the arm twisting and look of glee on the stewards face or the whole demeanour and high 5's.

Exactly. As I have said before it was an individual who saw his opportunity to impress his fellow stewards with a technique he learnt on a training course. High fives said it all. That steward didn't even need to get involved since the guy was already being led away by two stewards, one of whom was a response steward. So the argument that he needed to get involved to hand the guy over to the police is flawed. As others have said instead of preventing a pitch invasion that steward almost sparked a riot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here