Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stewards - Thugs

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
Anyway, as a response steward he had to go to where the problem was and get involved.

no he did not there was already a response steward there.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Anyway, as a response steward he had to go to where the problem was and get involved.

no he did not there was already a response steward there.

Quite. In both cases the situation was already under control. He just came steaming in for reasons of his own. The high-five said it all. No problem whatsoever with the conduct of any other steward yesterday, but maybe that guy should be sent to watch over the Park and ride or something. If his services have to be retained at all. Yesterday he did WAY more harm than good.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Yeah he deserved to be assaulted and handcuffed :shootself. Have you ever done anything down to high spirits ?. He should have been taking off and warned but the glee , excessive violent behaviour and hand cuffs were ridiculous. I can only assume you did not see the incident.

Wait a minute, He decided to ignore the ground regs, and the stewards and go onto the pitch, then ran as the stewards approached him, so do you think that if the said get off the pitch at that stage he would say ok and walk straight back off? - NO, so how do you stop him if you don't rugby tackle him?

The stewards there, as at any other ground in the country are just doing their job, and all they get is stick, what would you think if you got publically criticised every time for doing your job?

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Wait a minute, He decided to ignore the ground regs, and the stewards and go onto the pitch, then ran as the stewards approached him, so do you think that if the said get off the pitch at that stage he would say ok and walk straight back off? - NO, so how do you stop him if you don't rugby tackle him?

The stewards there, as at any other ground in the country are just doing their job, and all they get is stick, what would you think if you got publically criticised every time for doing your job?

The issue is not with the rugby tackle, rather the behaviour of the response steward who took it upon himself to steam in and assault a fan who, after being caught, was clearly prepared to walk off peacefully. The same steward then saw fit to give simmilar treatment to a fan who was merely pushed a couple of feet onto the running track. It is not in the stewards job description to act as a police force. If they believed the man who ran onto the pitch would try and escape in a violent manner, the police should have been called to detain him immediately, not leave it to a steward to man handle him over to where the police were standing.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
If it was a Swansea fan that ran onto the pitch and got rugby tackled to the grouns and then restrained like he did everyone would be praising the stewards!!

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
If it was a Swansea fan that ran onto the pitch and got rugby tackled to the grouns and then restrained like he did everyone would be praising the stewards!!

I think the point is the steward who attempted to restrain the fan was acting beyond his powers. If they suspected he was violent and needed to be restrained in that way the only indivdiuals who should be involed were the police. Totaly unnecessary.

I think the point is the steward who attempted to restrain the fan was acting beyond his powers. If they suspected he was violent and needed to be restrained in that way the only indivdiuals who should be involed were the police.
I'm not sure that this is the case. The football club is responsible for enforcing the rules that forbid pitch incursions.

I, for one, don't want the police to take the initiative in deciding how to enforce ground regulations. That way lies real trouble.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What a lot of people fail to remember is that the stewards and security are present to maintain the safety of ALL supporters. It is their duty.

Dealing with anyone who transgresses has to be done in an appropriate manner to maintain the safety of all. Being heavy handed does not achieve this as it runs the risk of antagonising other members of the crowd and leading to greater problems. I used to work at Wembley as a steward, whilst what I have written is simple common sense it was also one of the first things drummed into us.

Whilst the pitch invader will prob be dealt with by the police I feel the club should relieve the stewards and security of their positions as they are clearly not intelligent or experienced enough to undertake their responsibilities.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
What a lot of people fail to remember is that the stewards and security are present to maintain the safety of ALL supporters. It is their duty.

Dealing with anyone who transgresses has to be done in an appropriate manner to maintain the safety of all. Being heavy handed does not achieve this as it runs the risk of antagonising other members of the crowd and leading to greater problems. I used to work at Wembley as a steward, whilst what I have written is simple common sense it was also one of the first things drummed into us.

Whilst the pitch invader will prob be dealt with by the police I feel the club should relieve the stewards and security of their positions as they are clearly not intelligent or experienced enough to undertake their responsibilities.

So who do you propose will provide the stewarding levels we need for a match to go ahead then??

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So who do you propose will provide the stewarding levels we need for a match to go ahead then??

It's not my line of work to determine and/or recruit security resource for football matches. Maybe you are better placed to answer this question?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

What I do know though is that Wembley used to recruit a significant number of their security from my university and it seemed to work well. Maybe Sussex Uni could be a good place to get appropriate people?

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
It's not my line of work to determine and/or recruit security resource for football matches. Maybe you are better placed to answer this question?

Options are as follows

1 Get a private firm in Ticket prices go up as they charge a fortune

2 Police would never be able to provide enough manpower and even if they could costs would be more than a private security company!!

Us stewards are all trained to current FL standard Either in CEMS or NVQ level 2

Supervisors are trained to a higher level

Response stewards are also SIA trained

Do you really think going outside would EVER be cost effective as it would mean a huge rise in ticket prices.

We are all trained to do the jobs we do

Lastly the pair who were taken away had already been banned earlier in the season and had been warned that day.

The second person was NOT pushed he barged past two people and i was 2 foot away and grabbed him first, BUT yes i had it under control.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Options are as follows

1 Get a private firm in Ticket prices go up as they charge a fortune

2 Police would never be able to provide enough manpower and even if they could costs would be more than a private security company!!

Us stewards are all trained to current FL standard Either in CEMS or NVQ level 2

Supervisors are trained to a higher level

Response stewards are also SIA trained

Do you really think going outside would EVER be cost effective as it would mean a huge rise in ticket prices.

We are all trained to do the jobs we do

Lastly the pair who were taken away had already been banned earlier in the season and had been warned that day.

The second person was NOT pushed he barged past two people and i was 2 foot away and grabbed him first, BUT yes i had it under control.

I'm not really sure where your response it going. My view is that because of the reasons I have given the people involved in yesterday's incident should be dismissed as they have failed in their responsibilities and duties to people like me. Given the display yesterday, I suggest that the stewards and security involved were a greater threat to the overall peace than the pitch invader.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
I'm not really sure where your response it going. My view is that because of the reasons I have given the people involved in yesterday's incident should be dismissed as they have failed in their responsibilities and duties to people like me. Given the display yesterday, I suggest that the stewards and security involved were a greater threat to the overall peace than the pitch invader.

The response steward is a very highly trained professional with many years of experience.

The person who he restrained AS HE IS SUPPOSED TO was a known troublemaker who has been banned in the past.

How much do you think the stewards would have been blasted IF he had have been allowed to assult a player.

As for the abuse shouted from certain members of the crowd well!! Talk about OTT as he was doing his job as he was trained to.

Is there any need for certain supporters of OUR club to threaten me because some stupid idiot decided he would break the law??

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
I'm not sure that this is the case. The football club is responsible for enforcing the rules that forbid pitch incursions.

I, for one, don't want the police to take the initiative in deciding how to enforce ground regulations. That way lies real trouble.

The football club is indeed responsible for enforcing the rules, however, this does not give a steward the right to run 20 yards to restrain someone who was walking off quite peacefully under the supervision of two other stewards. The police are there to prevent any criminal offences being committed and if the situation dictates that an individual needs restraining or to be arrested. Stewards do not have the right to restrain an individual in the way that the steward in question did, regardless of whether he was breaching ground rules.

I, for one, would rather individuals who need to be restrained are dealt with immediately by the full-time highly trained professional police force who have the appropriate powers. For part-time stewards with not nearly the experience or training of police officers to restrain an individual is dangeours for both themselves and the person they are attempting to restrain. Lets leave enforcement to those who deal with such situtions five days a week, rather than those who work once every two weeks.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The response steward is a very highly trained professional with many years of experience.

The person who he restrained AS HE IS SUPPOSED TO was a known troublemaker who has been banned in the past.

How much do you think the stewards would have been blasted IF he had have been allowed to assult a player.

As for the abuse shouted from certain members of the crowd well!! Talk about OTT as he was doing his job as he was trained to.

Is there any need for certain supporters of OUR club to threaten me because some stupid idiot decided he would break the law??

So can you honestly say that the absolute minimum force was required?

I would hate to see these guys in action in a real emergency. God help us.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
So can you honestly say that the absolute minimum force was required?

I would hate to see these guys in action in a real emergency. God help us.

I didn't see how he left the pitch just heard from several people and the 32 different versions on here

A real emergency oh sorry so giving up my own freetime unpaid for training has done nothing then ??

How the hell can you make that last comment as you have NO clue what level we are trained to and what procedures are in place :shootself

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
The football club is indeed responsible for enforcing the rules, however, this does not give a steward the right to run 20 yards to restrain someone who was walking off quite peacefully under the supervision of two other stewards. The police are there to prevent any criminal offences being committed and if the situation dictates that an individual needs restraining or to be arrested. Stewards do not have the right to restrain an individual in the way that the steward in question did, regardless of whether he was breaching ground rules.
Actually yes response stewards DO have the right of restraint
I, for one, would rather individuals who need to be restrained are dealt with immediately by the full-time highly trained professional police force who have the appropriate powers. For part-time stewards with not nearly the experience or training of police officers to restrain an individual is dangeours for both themselves and the person they are attempting to restrain. Lets leave enforcement to those who deal with such situtions five days a week, rather than those who work once every two weeks.

Are you happy to pay more for a ticket then as more than half of the games this year were police free and most response stewards work as security staff full time not just once every two weeks

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London

I have no issue with stewards stewarding but if this guy was a known troblemaker why was it left to a response steward who, with all due respect, has about 10% of the training, ability to make decisions, and powers, of a full-time police officer. It just leads to dangerous situations. If, for instance the steward unintentionally broke the guy's arm; he would be up before a court the very next day on an ABH charge. Or, if the guy became violent and lashed out at a steward who, as a result suffered an injury which prevented them from doing their daily job; would they want compensation from the club? The point is, when it comes to restraining or heavy physical contact with individuals, it is safer for all concerned if the situation is left to the police.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here