Stewards - Thugs

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
I wasn't questioning your fan credentials, I'm mearly pointing out that there is a conflicting interest between this thread and your profession, and if you openly disclose your affiliation with the club by voluntarily choosing your username as 'Steward', openly disclosing the work you do at Withdean and commenting on a thread regarding a stewarding 'incident' then you must appreciate that your "I post on here as a fan" stance could be open to question?

Why ?? i do 3 jobs all of which i leave there whenever i leave whichever i am leaving at the time.

No conflict of interest at all, I aint at work now and have no worries about Football work until the first time i go back after the break, Hence the bottom line of my signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My username was chosen as i believe people on here have a right to know that i am a steward and a fan as well

People can question me all they like i have nothing to hide at all

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
As usual NSC see's it differntly for the bloody sake of it. I know what I saw and I know EVERYBODY was outraged by it and let the stewards know in no uncertain manner. Still as usual lets argue the toss about it.

I was outraged, even though I wasn't there. Stwewards out.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If he had a knife then yes I would say he deserved to be rugby tackled to ground.

But how do would they know if he had a concealed weapon. If they had left him alone and he had stabbed a player, people on here would be asking, why wasn't he stopped?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
But how do would they know if he had a concealed weapon. If they had left him alone and he had stabbed a player, people on here would be asking, why wasn't he stopped?
He was stopped and no problem. He didn't need then need to be practically assaulted by the big bully with the jumped-up attitude.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Cheers mate :thumbsup: , were you there, by any chance

A wonderful view from E block actually, three seats from Soulfinger :wave: :thumbsup:

That said my viewing of the incident, doesn't change my impression that yet again, you open with a high voltage gambit, try to influence replies by adding -'the herd will disagree' (and my right to reply) and two pages later drop in a stale 'Oh i'm off...' and then come back again..

Yesterday, it got right on my tits; today i'm just shaking my head.

Normal service resumes..

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I " went off " as I went out last night. Sorry you do not agree but I do not change my mind this morning albeit that there was only 1 steward that was the problem. And if you do not think there are lots of people who do not disagree just for the bloody sake of it and hunt in packs you do not know NSC very well really do you.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The rugby tackle, armlock and cuffs are fine, but a 'high five' on a football pitch :angry::angry::angry:

This isn't america (thank god) - a manly handshake would have sufficed ;)

Why ?? i do 3 jobs all of which i leave there whenever i leave whichever i am leaving at the time.

No conflict of interest at all, I aint at work now and have no worries about Football work until the first time i go back after the break, Hence the bottom line of my signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My username was chosen as i believe people on here have a right to know that i am a steward and a fan as well

People can question me all they like i have nothing to hide at all

My username was chosen 10 years ago, when North Stand Chat had about 25 members. It's shortened down from the original 'Nice Mister Hilter'.
As NMH I take the piss, tell you NSC people what mincers and drama-queens you are, talk shit about players and what I think about the hot-dog stands and maGOO and what a plonker player 'X' was when he missed an open goal and how my GRAN can tip horses better than you and where's your piano and three poofs and I have NO MATES I feel obliged to agree with.

As a steward though, I am reasonable, friendly, respectful, helpful, polite to opposing fans and staff, treat customer complaints or issues with measured response to address their concerns (and don't take the piss out of the way you people DRESS or stare longingly at your girlfriend's TITS).

I am living a lie and it's a SHAM! :lolol: It's a dichotomy ....but by the way, my actual name is neither NMH or 'Hilter' either.

Still, we're only human, of flesh and blood we're made. I'm an Albion fan since I was 4 and lived a couple of streets away from The Goldstone, and I dream of Brighton spanking the cream of Europe, making United and Arsenal and Chelski our bitches.

I never want our club to get fined, lose points, lose money, get cheated, lose fans, lose respect, or lose professional stature in any department. So, when I put on a stewards jacket, I'm there to make sure the players can function uninterrupted by fan interference, and that the experience works for the audience at large as it is meant to - for a well-organized social entertainment spectacle for all in attendance - whether I can see the match happening on the turf, or not. IF that entails stopping a person with unknown intent from disobeying certain absolute and laid-down RULES (most of which pertain to THE WHOLE LEAGUE), then that is what I and my colleagues will do. Not to hurt a person, but definitely to stop them

In actuality - NONE of you would prefer that the POLICE be the only monitors of crowd control, the ones with a blue 'tit on their heads', let's face it. We might be getting hard-case coppers detoxing from London gang-life coming down and quietly seething, and they might not all see things all the same either.
We have just very few boys-in-blue and they seem reasonable sorts, as it happens.

Way I see it, it's a part-time job worth doing properly.
People do NOT want to watch (even the occasional) dimwits running on the pitch effectively to say "look at me I'm an idiot"
The person/people in question in this thread were very unlikely to be left physically maimed by their stupid flirtation with league rules, and were probably not banned from the ground for life either (though they probably have not been exactly 'rewarded', probably banned for some period of time).

Best interests of both club and spectators, that's an irrefutable bottom line.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
My username was chosen 10 years ago, when North Stand Chat had about 25 members. It's shortened down from the original 'Nice Mister Hilter'.
As NMH I take the piss, tell you NSC people what mincers and drama-queens you are, talk shit about players and what I think about the hot-dog stands and maGOO and what a plonker player 'X' was when he missed an open goal and how my GRAN can tip horses better than you and where's your piano and three poofs and I have NO MATES I feel obliged to agree with.

As a steward though, I am reasonable, friendly, respectful, helpful, polite to opposing fans and staff, treat customer complaints or issues with measured response to address their concerns (and don't take the piss out of the way you people DRESS or stare longingly at your girlfriend's TITS).

I am living a lie and it's a SHAM! :lolol: It's a dichotomy ....but by the way, my actual name is neither NMH or 'Hilter' either.

Still, we're only human, of flesh and blood we're made. I'm an Albion fan since I was 4 and lived a couple of streets away from The Goldstone, and I dream of Brighton spanking the cream of Europe, making United and Arsenal and Chelski our bitches.

I never want our club to get fined, lose points, lose money, get cheated, lose fans, lose respect, or lose professional stature in any department. So, when I put on a stewards jacket, I'm there to make sure the players can function uninterrupted by fan interference, and that the experience works for the audience at large as it is meant to - for a well-organized social entertainment spectacle for all in attendance - whether I can see the match happening on the turf, or not. IF that entails stopping a person with unknown intent from disobeying certain absolute and laid-down RULES (most of which pertain to THE WHOLE LEAGUE), then that is what I and my colleagues will do. Not to hurt a person, but definitely to stop them

In actuality - NONE of you would prefer that the POLICE be the only monitors of crowd control, the ones with a blue 'tit on their heads', let's face it. We might be getting hard-case coppers detoxing from London gang-life coming down and quietly seething, and they might not all see things all the same either.
We have just very few boys-in-blue and they seem reasonable sorts, as it happens.

Way I see it, it's a part-time job worth doing properly.
People do NOT want to watch (even the occasional) dimwits running on the pitch effectively to say "look at me I'm an idiot"
The person/people in question in this thread were very unlikely to be left physically maimed by their stupid flirtation with league rules, and were probably not banned from the ground for life either (though they probably have not been exactly 'rewarded', probably banned for some period of time).

Best interests of both club and spectators, that's an irrefutable bottom line.

And I thought London Irish could rabbit.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I " went off " as I went out last night. Sorry you do not agree but I do not change my mind this morning albeit that there was only 1 steward that was the problem. And if you do not think there are lots of people who do not disagree just for the bloody sake of it and hunt in packs you do not know NSC very well really do you.

Point is you start a thread of with your side of the argument then get stroppy when people disagree with your point of view. Then the persecution complex starts and that is what most people, including me, find irritating because you use this scattergun approach with everyone irrespective of who they are. The fact that you seem to believe that you are somehow different from the 'herd' (something I find demeaning to others) suggests you need to learn how to debate properly and accept other people will not agree with your opinions.

From my vantage point at the back of F Block I thought the stewards were deliberately OTT as they wished to make a point and wanted everyone to see what happens if you do invade the pitch after repeated warnings so that any other overexcited numpties would not join this lone one.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
If I remember correctly there used to be announcements at the Goldstone at the last game of the season for people NOT to invade the pitch at the end , which were ignored as it was traditional to walk/run/stumble/fall over on the hallowed turf of our heroes and for us to show total commitment to the club and players.

announcements probably needed for insurance / league / later prosecution..?

'well your honour, we did tell people not to go on the pitch, so we had to tackle the get onto the ground; his face must have fell onto my boot..':bla:

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
As i was hanging around to watch Swansea get the cup, I was next to the bloke's mum trying to find out where the stewards/police had dragged her child off to!

All the steward could say was 'talk to a copper, and don't bring him to a football game ha ha ha'

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore

Far too many double negatives in there for me to understand... Or care...

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Point is you start a thread of with your side of the argument then get stroppy when people disagree with your point of view. Then the persecution complex starts and that is what most people, including me, find irritating because you use this scattergun approach with everyone irrespective of who they are. The fact that you seem to believe that you are somehow different from the 'herd' (something I find demeaning to others) suggests you need to learn how to debate properly and accept other people will not agree with your opinions.

From my vantage point at the back of F Block I thought the stewards were deliberately OTT as they wished to make a point and wanted everyone to see what happens if you do invade the pitch after repeated warnings so that any other overexcited numpties would not join this lone one.

Fair enough , all valid comments I cannot deny.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern

You can't argue with any of that very sensible post. I'd like to be a tad more flippant and say I loved this thread. US posting up his opinion (as per) and then getting stroppy the MINUTE someone disagrees with him, insinuating all who do so are part of some kind of conspiracy. Then saying he's off and then coming back.

CLASSIC.

I hope he never does flounce for good, although I'd happily put my mortgage on that NEVER happening.

My observation, for what it's worth, on the steward who is getting all the stick for going over the top, is that the arm-lock and hand-hold that he was using were well-executed examples of restraint techniques that are TAUGHT on training courses. The hand-hold looks fierce, but it doesn't cause any damage to the hand. It is effective, because it enables the restrainer to respond easily to any attempt by the restrainee to struggle free, with a quick application of thumb pressure to the back of the hand that will hit a nerve and prevent the escape.

Ten years or so back, such restraint techniques were being taught to social services staff who had dealings with disturbed (and potentially violent) young people in care. These days, I think it is the fashion to deal with such situations differently.

Where some saw a violent intervention yesterday, I was struck by the fact that the steward involved seemed to be showing all the signs of having been trained to do precisely what he did.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My observation, for what it's worth, on the steward who is getting all the stick for going over the top, is that the arm-lock and hand-hold that he was using were well-executed examples of restraint techniques that are TAUGHT on training courses. The hand-hold looks fierce, but it doesn't cause any damage to the hand. It is effective, because it enables the restrainer to respond easily to any attempt by the restrainee to struggle free, with a quick application of thumb pressure to the back of the hand that will hit a nerve and prevent the escape.

Ten years or so back, such restraint techniques were being taught to social services staff who had dealings with disturbed (and potentially violent) young people in care. These days, I think it is the fashion to deal with such situations differently.

Where some saw a violent intervention yesterday, I was struck by the fact that the steward involved seemed to be showing all the signs of having been trained to do precisely what he did.

FACIST

That raises an interesting issue.

Do we want Withdean stewards to receive training in control and restraint techniques? Or do we want them to make it up as they go along?

I think "fascism" is characterised by the authorities being quite happy to employ mindless thugs to keep order. Sending people on training courses (which is my preferred solution) is normally thought of as being at the "woolly liberal" end of the spectrum.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
And if you do not think there are lots of people who do not disagree just for the bloody sake of it and hunt in packs you do not know NSC very well really do you.
Very true. And they are all HOLOCAUST DENIERS too, of course, as you once called people who didn't share your opinion of a film.
You can't argue with any of that very sensible post. I'd like to be a tad more flippant and say I loved this thread. US posting up his opinion (as per) and then getting stroppy the MINUTE someone disagrees with him, insinuating all who do so are part of some kind of conspiracy. Then saying he's off and then coming back.

CLASSIC.

I hope he never does flounce for good, although I'd happily put my mortgage on that NEVER happening.
No chance whatsoever. You're dead right: this is VINTAGE Gav. And that's to be appreciated.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Yes the fan committed an offence by running on the pitch and there is no problem with the lad being rugby tackled because as others have said if he had been allowed to remain on the pitch others would have joined in. However, his treatment after being detained was atrocious and bordered on assault. The guy was neither being violent or attempting to escape and was clearly prepared to leave the pitch peacefully. It was totally unnecessary for the steward to attempt to restrain him by twiting his arm behind his back. I then saw the same steward attempt a simmilar manoeuver on a fan who had merely been pushed onto the running track by a surge in the crowd. This steward then physically assaulted the fan and pulled him further onto the running track. Absolutely disgraceful scenes. What people on here need to rember is stewards are not police, they have no power of arrest (above that of a normal citizen), nor do they have a right to assault the individuals as they did today. It is of little relevance whether or not the people in question had committed an offence - stewards are simply not allowed to behave in that way. It is a shame that many stewards believe because they have unlimited powers just because they are there in an official capacity. That is not to say, of course, that there are many good stewards at withdean.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports