Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Stevenage U23's 3 -1 Albion U23's match report.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not sure there will be too many changes in the 25 man squad in January.

Perhaps Skalak replaced by a striker, maybe Murphy to go and be replaced by Ahannach, and Goldson to be loaned out and another central defender brought in.

No point in replacing 5th choice fullback Rosenior just because of last night.

I seriously *worry* about whether Rusk is the right man though for the U23s.

Last edited:

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Surely the remit of a U23/U21's coach is not match results but giving the overage players the required amount of minutes on the pitch when necessary and more importantly bringing through the youngsters and have them ready for the first team when their chance comes? Mind you can only think of Tilley & Molumby that have come through on his watch and they're far from the finished article but I stand to be corrected.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would suggest the changes to the 25 man squad will be minimal. Obviously a striker added if we sign one in January. Are Baldock and Kayal in the current 25 if not add them and possibly replace Skalak and Murphy as they do not seem to offer much for this season and by moving they may get games and a chance to try again at a lower level like Championship. Last night must raise question marks about Krul or Maenpaa as to who should be on the bench for matches.

On the way

Oct 9, 2016
North Herts
Poor performance and result last night against an established and organised lower league side. Would suggest that Stevenage probably played pretty much their first team whereas the Albion played like 2 teams in 1, fringe first teamers and youngsters easily bullied by their gritty opponents.

The game had a Pre-season feel to it with the team selection, players going through the motions to try and get up to speed, that along with the weather conditions probably didn't help, heavy rain with swirling winds on a cold night in Stevenage! a million miles away from the glitz and glamour of the Premier League for those with first team experience who probably would have preferred to have been anywhere else on such a night.

Not really fair on Simon Rusk I feel, probably has a message from above to get the first teamers some much needed game time, which is fair enough, whilst possibly compromising his own preferred team selection, that's part of his role I guess. Did all look very disjointed though and not a great game to introduce your wife to the Albion :lol:

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
Terrible performance. That's the worst I have ever seen Murphy play. Nothing came and to blame for giving away penalty and badly timed missed header for 3rd goal.

They were all very very poor.

On the way

Oct 9, 2016
North Herts
Did any of the Albion players look interested?

Of the first teamers I would say Krul was barking at the defence but easily beaten for their first goal, Schelotto run around a lot but ineffective, Huenemeier plenty of effort but poor game, one of those days, same with Rosenior, just didnt work for either of them, Murphy looked interested initially made space and looked for the early ball but it never came, seemed to lose interest after that, Brown did seem uninterested from the off and never got going, the younger lads seemed keen, plenty of running but lacked any sort of quality, other than the first 10/15 minutes of the second half where we looked like we might claw our way back into the game we got what we deserved, the better won.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here