[News] Steve Wright RIP

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Terrible news.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Bloody hell…that has totally blindsided me!

I grew up listening to Steve Wright in the afternoon, and Friday afternoons were always were his!

loved his shows, even his cheesy Sunday love songs , again a Sunday morning staple for A large listening audience.

truly shocked at hearing this news

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Shocked to hear this. He did look very overweight from when he first appeared but even so..

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I still remember - and often quote - some of his afternoon sketches.

RIP

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Happy memory of Steve Wright when working for BR.

We were sat on the sunny platform at Hassocks on shift but an ASLEF strike day so no trains and Jimmy Knapp was ASLEF leader. On the Steve Wright in the afternoon Radio 1 show boomed "Jimmy, Jimmy oh Jimmy Knapp when will the trains be back", very funny at the time.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Mainly remember his Saturday lunchtimes in the early 80s. Became a staple of the afternoon after that. Must have been sudden. Sad news. RIP

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Shocked.
Where on earth did that come from? Was he ill?
69 years old.
We mostly agreed his time on R2 was up but expected him on another national 'oldies' station somewhere.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Used to get home from school and listen on the wireless.
Also part of the show had a bloke doing a Jagger impression which was very funny.

RIP
Assume the same guy did a Bowie impression too, to introduce the time check.
Used to make me laugh every time.

RIP

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Shocking news. Heard Sara Cox holding back the tears as she paid tribute to him her radio 2 show just now. They are playing his favourite music till 7 now in tribute to him.

A huge part of my radio listening since I was a kid. He added a sense of fun to everything he did.

RIP

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Oh god my heart missed a beat there as I thought it was the funny Steve Wright - the American comedian

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Very sad news. Really enjoyed listening to him in the afternoons as a kid, his shows always seemed such good fun and upbeat.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Very sad to hear this, i for one loved his afternoon show on Radio 2. RIP Steve, will be sadly missed by many.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here