Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Steve Sidwell signs one year deal

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Far too harsh. Exceeded all expectations last season and will be a valuable part of the squad again and has Premier League experience.

Not harsh, he wasn't deemed good enough for the Prem 2 seasons ago, that's why he dropped down to us to get a game, and even then he was behind Kayal and Stephens.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Eh? Of the five players usually found in the middle of the park for us last season only Sidwell is over thirty and the next oldest, Kayal, is 29.

Beram Kayal - 29
Dale Stephens - 27
Steve Sidwell - 34
Ollie Norwood - 26
Richie Towell - 25

Give us an average age of around 28 which is admittedly on the higher end of the spectrum but hardly over the hill.
Towell who couldn't get into our squad in the Championship and Norwood. Give over they are absolutely nowhere good enough for the Premier league :lol:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
You said "our aging midfield".

All of the players listed are in our midfield, for now.

You were chucking in players like Towell and Norwood to lower the age. I would be gutted if either are named in the 25 man squad.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Not harsh, he wasn't deemed good enough for the Prem 2 seasons ago, that's why he dropped down to us to get a game, and even then he was behind Kayal and Stephens.

And yet he had a far better season than Beram and therefore played a lot more games.
He's a good defensive sub too.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Good news. The more bite in midfield the better (the philisopher Joseph Barton excepted). Seems to like us all over again. And patently LOVES his song :lol:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
You were chucking in players like Towell and Norwood to lower the age. I would be gutted if either are named in the 25 man squad.

No. Norwood and Towell made appearances in the first team last season. If I wanted to lower the age I'd have thrown in someone like Rohan Ince but that would have been disingenuous given his lack of appearances last year.

EDIT: Or I'd have included Knockaert, March, Skalak and Murphy all of whom are listed on the club website as midfielders.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Great stuff

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Has been told he is wanted for his experience around the squad but to expect less game time.
Does that mean outside the 25 man PL squad, but available for EFL / FA cup games ? ???

Probably not the case, but you never know.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
When did the photo of "new signing holding up shirt" extend to existing players signing a new contract?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Exactly right thing to do. 1 year contract playing a bit part role and ideal for the bench and dressing room. Then we don't have to pay him at all the season after unless we drop down again and wish to. Hope he plays limited football but makes a big impact (for the good) in that little time. Means more money to spend on some starting calibre players and no need to buy a young bench player who'll never break through just for depth.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
And yet he had a far better season than Beram and therefore played a lot more games.
He's a good defensive sub too.

Without Sidwell we would have struggled to get auto imo. Deserved contract, he looked way off the pace early in his original loan spell but was very solid, competitive and calm throughout last season. Quality player who may not be first choice next season but brings massive experience of a league very few in our squad have played in. I doubt he'll let us down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here