[Albion] Steve Gritt at half time

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I'm not sure if it just me, but I find the PA awful to try to hear, particularly when anyone who is not Richie Reynolds speaking.

Surely in this day & age, a PA system can be made to be properly audible?!

Nope. Absolutely not only you.

From the NS all I hear is crackling and mumbling Reynolds. He needs to improve his diction and get a decent mic. It's shocking.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Nope. Absolutely not only you.

From the NS all I hear is crackling and mumbling Reynolds. He needs to improve his diction and get a decent mic. It's shocking.

Is it not the acoustics as well? i agree I can never clearly make out any of the HT guests.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I thought they got a very good reception for those of us still in our seats. But half time now seems to be about getting as many pints and pies in your face as possible. And the club like it that way. All about the money hence why they don't usually do anything of note at half time. Why bother when all it does is potentially reduce revenue. I can see PB saying just that right now.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'm not sure if it just me, but I find the PA awful to try to hear, particularly when anyone who is not Richie Reynolds speaking.

I agree but it should be the other way round, let's hear the guests and have Reynolds on mute, the guy is a self important **** imho

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Agreed, Richie Reynolds has his faults but if he should suddenly up and leave how or what would the club replace him with? On the very odd occasion when he hasn't been in attendance the whole pre match shebang has suffered.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I thought they got a very good reception for those of us still in our seats. But half time now seems to be about getting as many pints and pies in your face as possible. And the club like it that way. All about the money hence why they don't usually do anything of note at half time. Why bother when all it does is potentially reduce revenue. I can see PB saying just that right now.

Steve and the players had a standing ovation around me from the fans in their seats at half time - but agreed it was patchy given queues for pints. .
(as for club not spending ££ if they don't have to - then i'm guessing they've coughed up expenses for Steve = players to come down for the weekend, watch the game , attend the Friday night dinner etc
I doubt there was much of a profit either in the 40 page special in the programme, or the re-edit of the video looking back at 25 years since 1997 , or organising for the rights / stream on Youtube and so on. They do this because the people working there - are fans of the club and/or they respect the history of the club and its not all about the bottom line. )

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
15000 to 20000 new fans (plastic if you want) have joined since those dark days and as others have said before, probably know little about Steve Gritt, or ultimately are too young.

What he achieved in that second half of the season winning almost every home game was miraculous (yes, the away form remained crap) but his status as an Albion legend will not be forgotten. Used to love the 'he's got no hair but we don't care' song too.

Indeed, in many ways for those of us who experienced those days, it is like supporting a whole different club now.

So much has changed, from the sheer number of our supporters now, right the way through to playing our games at a new stadium. The name Brighton & Hove Albion might remain the same, and yes we still play in blue & white stripes, but how many other things have remained constant since then?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Thats an ultra-jaundiced view of things to take, particularly when its hardly a uniquely BHA thing. Would you prefer there were NO pints and pies available at HT ? (well there were no burgers in the WSU yesterday, but I digress). Personally I like a quick half time pint and a catch-up on the concourse with some mates I rarely get to see other than at the Amex, plus a squiz at the other half times to see whereabouts my lastest acca has bombed. I don't want to stay in my seat for 15-20 minutes staring into space or picking peanuts out of poo.

Its not like Barber has armed stewards marching people to the kiosks at gunpoint to buy the pre-match or half time scram is it (not that I want to give him any ideas).

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Agree that HT is a bit of an issue in getting big crowds to watch the guests, but having them 10 mins before KO would run into the same issues, IMO. Because a lot of people will be doing the same thing as they are at half time :cheers::drink:

And, if it IS going to be at HT, the same goes for an announcement before the game. You're preaching solely to the audience who would typically be there anyway, not the masses.

It's difficult to get right. I propose a five-minute break half way through the first half. Not long enough to get people into the concourse, just enough time for some extra TV ad revenue and a captive audience. The players could even stay out on the pitch and listen to the chat too :lolol:

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Agree that HT is a bit of an issue in getting big crowds to watch the guests, but having them 10 mins before KO would run into the same issues, IMO. Because a lot of people will be doing the same thing as they are at half time :cheers::drink:

And, if it IS going to be at HT, the same goes for an announcement before the game. You're preaching solely to the audience who would typically be there anyway, not the masses.

It's difficult to get right. I propose a five-minute break half way through the first half. Not long enough to get people into the concourse, just enough time for some extra TV ad revenue and a captive audience. The players could even stay out on the pitch and listen to the chat too :lolol:

Why not have the guests primed to be interviewed during a second half substitution? I watched a game at the weekend and the player going off shuffled along and shook hands and hugged his team mates on the way off like he was never going to see them again. Plenty of time for an interview.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I think it's a case of damned whatever they do.

Are lots of fans in the bar pre match, or still travelling in? Yes

In the bar or loo at half time too.

It's not a new thing. But a bit more promotion might encourage people to hang about a bit.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
This is exactly why the atmosphere isn't what it should be, too many there who have gone stale, or have none of the Albion diehard history instilled in them.
We, unfortunately, lack spunk in too many areas of the ground.

If only they could prove me wrong, have any decibel tests been done.:lol:

"let's be having you"

Unfortunately we lack 'spunk' on the pitch.......................:facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports