Steve Coppell on Monday

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle Buck said:
The fact that we needed the compensation money meant that the club did not make all that much effort to keep Coppell

That's not a fact, that's just the usual rumour and supposition pushed around by the usual anti-Dick Knight suspects. You correctly referred to it as a rumour earlier in this thread, how did it become "fact"?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
That's not a fact, that's just the usual rumour and supposition pushed around by the usual anti-Dick Knight suspects. You correctly referred to it as a rumour earlier in this thread, how did it become "fact"?

Apologies for my poor grammar. Never really thought of the idea that the club may not have made that much effort to keep Coppell as they needed the money as an anti Knight thing, more just a financial reality. I just think Coppell gets a rough deal from our fans.

Now why are you not out dancing a silly dance, drinking black stuff and being generally a touch nationalistic on your patron saint's day?

LDH said:
got to get stick. I don't think he did a good job here. We still got relegated and all he did was bring in short term fixes that failed. Old players who've since cost us a lot of money (Rodger, Blackwell), loans we had no chance of keeping (Sidwell, Ingermarsson) in fact the only player he bought in that was any good was leon knight. Don't forget he also ignored most of the youth team (virgo was dropped and left our by him).

...and to top it all off he left at the first opportunity he got.

More or less spot on. I think Coppell is a fine tactician and man manager. But the big black mark against him was that he didn't have the vision to see that the youth coming through was probably a better bet than the sticking-plaster solutions of ageing pros and short-term loan players. In the end, Coppell knew his solutions were not sustainable, he couldn't see any way out of the constant struggle and haggling of the loan system, so he walked to easier pastures where he didn't have to do any of that.

Dick Knight knew the inevitable was coming because he'd probably been looking at Coppell's cheery face weeks beforehand. And too bloody right we then screwed a bit of cash out of Madjeski, we weren't going to let Reading have him for nothing, FFS!

McGhee came in and had a team in decline that was heading out of the play-off places. He took a short-time to acclimatise, and then had Virgs and Harding in the team straight away. At every opportunity he's given young players their chance and picked them over the ageing pros, as Mayo, Watto and Harty have found to their cost at various times.

I may boo Coppell in a fairly pantomime way next Monday, and at other times I may applaud him, depends on my whims at the time.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck said:
Apologies for my poor grammar. Never really thought of the idea that the club may not have made that much effort to keep Coppell as they needed the money as an anti Knight thing, more just a financial reality. I just think Coppell gets a rough deal from our fans.

Now why are you not out dancing a silly dance, drinking black stuff and being generally a touch nationalistic on your patron saint's day?

Fair enough. Still at work, and Mr Plod takes some exception to drunken Plastic Paddies careering down the A23 of an evening.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
More or less spot on. I think Coppell is a fine tactician and man manager. But the big black mark against him was that he didn't have the vision to see that the youth coming through was probably a better bet than the stinking-plaster solutions of ageing pros and short-term loan players. In the end, Coppell knew his solutions were not sustainable, he couldn't see any way out of the constant struggle and haggling of the loan system, so he walked to easier pastures where he didn't have to do any of that.

Maybe you have been celebrating a bit too much today because that is some rewriting of history that you have managed there. When Coppell left we were top, 3 points clear, had a game in hand and had just played our best match of the season at Rushden. Hardly a club in crisis or the wheels coming off. He went as Reading had more prospects than us and the Albion needed any cash they could get there hands on (as they still do).

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
There was a gap though between Coppell leaving us at the top and McGhee taking us over (Bob Booker was in charge for that time) when we were slipping down.

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
KinkyGoebels said:
Ehat a load of gash.

Taylor said with the playing budget he was offered there was no chance of the team staying up, he was right.

When Coppell arrived he was given more money.

Tayor is a class manager and did a first class job for brighton

I for one wish him well.

Some people need to take there adams blinkers of

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Good call. Think we are in the minority.
Still want to give C*****l shit. He did walk out and dump us. He used us and no getting away from it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
yes it was

The side last year was not very good - yes it got promoted but more due to luck than judgement sometimes, so coppell taking it top was fairly impressive

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
sams dad said:
Was the 4-0 defeat at Brentford, Booker's
last game in charge?

No, the next one, the defeat against Stockport (our 3rd defeat in a row)

Uncle Buck said:
Maybe you have been celebrating a bit too much today because that is some rewriting of history that you have managed there. When Coppell left we were top, 3 points clear, had a game in hand and had just played our best match of the season at Rushden. Hardly a club in crisis or the wheels coming off. He went as Reading had more prospects than us and the Albion needed any cash they could get there hands on (as they still do).

That's all true that first bit, but if you look at what happened straight after he left, you can see the problem. Fair play to Coppell, while he was here, he delayed the inevitable because he has great strengths as a manager. As for our great win at the paper tigers of Rushden, well yes, I wasn't on NSC at the time, but I hope you weren't one of the ones who forget about that and turned very quickly on Zesh Rehman.

I shudder to think of the young guys we might have lost to other clubs had Coppell stayed, Virgs was virtually gone already.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
That's all true that first bit, but if you look at what happened straight after he left, you can see the problem. Fair play to Coppell, while he was here, he delayed the inevitable because he has great strengths as a manager. As for our great win at the paper tigers of Rushden, well yes, I wasn't on NSC at the time, but I hope you weren't one of the ones who forget about that and turned very quickly on Zesh Rehman.

I shudder to think of the young guys we might have lost to other clubs had Coppell stayed, Virgs was virtually gone already.

I think the thing about Coppell not using the youth is a bit of a myth. He started last season with Hinshlewood at centre back, had brought McPhee in and was already playing Harding. It just happened that he did not rate Virgo, which happens with managers. It would have been a pain to have lost him, but it happens. Coppell had a system and had a happy knack of being able to sign players that fitted into his system.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
I dont think we should boo him, I loathe this Judas crap which is so perpetuated in the premiership/tabloids, its utter no-brain drivel. Coppell would have kept us up if he had been signed from the start of that season and his signings made a difference, whether they were short or long term. He`s hardly to know a couple of them will never play again when he signed them! He was intelligent, tactically aware and although not perfect and ex-palace he doesn`t deserve a serious slating. I might even give him a clap. He did try really hard to keep us up when he was here, from an impossible position we actually had real hope at times, he said a few times leading up to his departure that he would like to manage a team actually capable of thinking about promotion for once instead of forever being a relegation saviour and no one else would have chosen to stay given the offer he eventually got, and we still are one of the few clubs who can say they received a transfer fee for a manager!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
But when all is said and done he's still P*l*ce :eek: :D

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I know Uncle Buck. I was trying to be humerous.

time for bed I reckon

Night night :)

Uncle Buck said:
I think the thing about Coppell not using the youth is a bit of a myth. He started last season with Hinshlewood at centre back, had brought McPhee in and was already playing Harding. It just happened that he did not rate Virgo, which happens with managers. It would have been a pain to have lost him, but it happens. Coppell had a system and had a happy knack of being able to sign players that fitted into his system.

Yes, he did blood young players, but they never got extended runs and were always shoved out of the way by the latest ageing pro signing or loanee. Would Hinsh and Harding have hung around to fight their way through this Coppell "system", well, we'll never know because he f***ed off to Reading.

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
London Irish said:
Yes, he did blood young players, but they never got extended runs and were always shoved out of the way by the latest ageing pro signing or loanee. Would Hinsh and Harding have hung around to fight their way through this Coppell "system", well, we'll never know because he f***ed off to Reading.
But this was some time ago. They were younger, it's possible Coppell saw them in the same way McGhee now sees the likes of Robinson and Jarret , no?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports