Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephen Ward deal NOT done (yet?)

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Just on the Argus website from Jackett this morning:

Jackett revealed Wolves had not received any bid for Ward or Doyle, who has been linked with QPR.

He said: “Nothing has happened on either of them – there has been no contact from any club.”

The next paragraph in the local Wolves rag says we've been negotiations with him for weeks. Contradictory rubbish.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Stephen ward medical completed. Rival offers can still come in at the very last minute and scupper the deal and final details need to be signed off but looking very likely within next 24 hrs to be announced as a deal done.

Just under two hours to go.......

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
I would hope that there is no way we are going to pay him the salary he is on let alone the 10k we paid last year.
He's a left back, not the most important position in the team and we already have one in Chicksen.
Chicksen is 22 and if he is not ready to be our no:1 now he will never be.
I would rather invest in other area's.
I would imagine we will leave this one late to get another year loan as Wolves will want his salary off their books..

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
The next paragraph in the local Wolves rag says we've been negotiations with him for weeks. Contradictory rubbish.

It needed the earlier bit of the article to make sense:

Ward and his representative are free to negotiate a move for the player.

But they have been told he must take a pay cut if he is to sign a more permanent deal with the Seagulls, for whom he starred on loan last season.

That could prove to be more of a sticking point than a potential transfer fee in the region of £100,000.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I would hope that there is no way we are going to pay him the salary he is on let alone the 10k we paid last year.
He's a left back, not the most important position in the team and we already have one in Chicksen.
I would imagine we will leave this one late to get another year loan as Wolves will want his salary off their books..

Ward was one of our best players last season. With his (PL and international) experience, he was well worth the 10K we paid him last year. And I very much doubt we'll find a better player for fewer wages. Starting the season with Chicksen as our ONLY LB option scares me too. Ward was also one of the most passionate players we had last year, despite bring on loan.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004

Assuming you,re not on the wind up....

We play one up front.

To help make that work we need to have good, overlapping full backs capable of delivering crosses and slotting through balls.
You cannot rely on just the 2 wide men to always be in the right position, even if they are, decent attacking full backs help them out.

Ward was/is a very effective attacking full back, as is Bruno and Calde to be fair.

Full back is one of the most overlooked positions on the park, they can often be the difference between victory and defeat.

Oh, and by the way, the lad can defend a bit too.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
"have been told he must take a pay cut if he is to sign a more permanent deal with the Seagulls, for whom he starred on loan last season.
That could prove to be more of a sticking point than a potential transfer fee in the region of £100,000."

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/11334827._/

£100k is a relative bargain for a player of his quality.

Actually forget the word relative. It is an ABSOLUTE bargain if true.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here