Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephen Dobbie

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Apologies to [MENTION=26309]Bolton va va[/MENTION] who seems a thoroughly decent sort, but Bolton, a 'good club'? Not having it.

Managed by an absolute gobshite and chaired by the guy who campaigned tirelessly to make the Premier League a closed shop, and **** the rest of the proffessional game in the country (until Bolton dropped out of it, of course). And I blame then for Kevin ****ing Nolan. The prick.

Yeah, yeah, OK...

I'm talking more historically. Gartside, Lennon and Nolan are not what Bolton represents to me.

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
Apologies to [MENTION=26309]Bolton va va[/MENTION] who seems a thoroughly decent sort, but Bolton, a 'good club'? Not having it.

Managed by an absolute gobshite and chaired by the guy who campaigned tirelessly to make the Premier League a closed shop, and **** the rest of the proffessional game in the country (until Bolton dropped out of it, of course). And I blame then for Kevin ****ing Nolan. The prick.

No apology necessary, you're perfectly entitled to your opinions but you won't be surprised that i disagree with you on all counts.

Pre Bolton, i also had my doubts about Lennon -not many opposing fans warm to an aggressively, competitive ginger - but he's turned out to be an intelligent & humorous chap, who's had the patience to meet with supporters' club window lickers, & also happily chat to fans in the pubs. How good a manager he is, we still don't know though.

The Gartside stuff was a non-story that was given legs by a London press to support their anti Bolton agenda because we were regularly beating their darlings, Arsenal & West Ham at the time. He chaired an enquiry into several crackpot ideas for the future of the game, like the premier league closed shop (it benefitted his own club so he backed it, same as any other chairman would have ) & iirc admitting Celtic & Rangers into the league, limiting foreigners, & other complete nonsense that was never going to happen & didn't. Campaigned tirelessly ?? no, he didn't.

Nolan was a model professional at Bolton ( & as far as i know, the same elsewhere ), always had time for the fans, & ran a youth football team in his own time. We've had a few tits play for us ( El Hadji Diouf stands out ), but Nolan was one of the good guys & will always be welcome back here.

For several years Bolton were rightly held up as an example of how a club of our size should go about trying to compete in the premier league - there was no extravagent spending..That it has ended so badly for us should serve as a warning to similar sized clubs like Brighton.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
For several years Bolton were rightly held up as an example of how a club of our size should go about trying to compete in the premier league - there was no extravagent spending.

Debts of £170m despite the huge amount of TV money would suggest otherwise.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
...not many opposing fans warm to an aggressively, competitive ginger...

This, I can vouch for...

the premier league closed shop (it benefitted his own club so he backed it, same as any other chairman would have )

Plenty didn't. Anyone who did was, is, and always will be a vile, self-serving ********, who has absolutely zero concern for the well-being of football in England, and deserves no place in the sport.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Gartside was always pushing for the PL to become a closed shop, his actions tainted his football club. Nolan acted like an utter knob when he played against us, so I don't like him, but in fairness he wasn't with Bolton then so you can't really blame them for that one. I don't mind Lennon.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He chaired an enquiry into several crackpot ideas for the future of the game, like the premier league closed shop (it benefitted his own club so he backed it, same as any other chairman would have )
That I disagree with. Anyone who cares about football in this country should be against the PL closed shop, the idea is a complete disgrace, and you're wrong to suggest all other chairman would also back it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here