Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stepdad threatened by the club

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The club have the right to claim back the money in my view but don't always get it right as I looked at renewals and Mini was an adult yet he moves to U21 next season but eventually it was changed.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I got a similar email recently. You buy a ST, give your date of birth and then claim for a cheaper ticket. In my case I renewed my wifes ticket (DOB 1962) as an under 21 ticket. It was genuine as it was for my Daughter, just didn't change name. Last month the club caught up with me and question the DOB. I explained and they accepted it to the point of changing the details. But the ticket is only used for under 21 or over 65 (both same price).
Main point here is that slowly someone in the office must be checking all 20,000 ST's. Wonder how far they have got?

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
I got a similar email recently. You buy a ST, give your date of birth and then claim for a cheaper ticket. In my case I renewed my wifes ticket (DOB 1962) as an under 21 ticket. It was genuine as it was for my Daughter, just didn't change name. Last month the club caught up with me and question the DOB. I explained and they accepted it to the point of changing the details. But the ticket is only used for under 21 or over 65 (both same price).
Main point here is that slowly someone in the office must be checking all 20,000 ST's. Wonder how far they have got?

They won't need to look at the full priced tickets, which would be the vast majority. I don't know but maybe a quarter are reduced price, so only 5,000 or so.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The club have the right to claim back the money in my view but don't always get it right as I looked at renewals and Mini was an adult yet he moves to U21 next season but eventually it was changed.

Of course they don't - they have over 20,000 individual set of circumstances and a bought-in system which is likely to have bugs.

But you contacted them and they put it right. As they always would in this situation.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Like in all circumstances where money is owing to 'the provider'.
Speak to them, see if you come to some compromise, where it is agreeable by both parties to clear the debt off in installments? :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think some are being a bit harsh on Marmaduke.

As said, the club are losing £1m a month, so can't afford to subsidise people, but they shouldn't be demanding payment before he can attend the Bolton game

I'd write to Mr Barber pointing out my loyal service and asking for a bit longer to pay what should have been billed earlier.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I've noticed, by accident, that you can buy a ticket at concession rate online, and allocate it to someone in Friends & Family list who is too old for it. That seems a bit odd.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
:
I've noticed, by accident, that you can by a ticket at concession rate online, and allocate it to someone in Friends & Family list who is too old for it. That seems a bit odd.

by accident :whistle:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think some are being a bit harsh on Marmaduke.

As said, the club are losing £1m a month, so can't afford to subsidise people, but they shouldn't be demanding payment before he can attend the Bolton game

I'd write to Mr Barber pointing out my loyal service and asking for a bit longer to pay what should have been billed earlier.

If this was the first communication i would agree completely but if it's part of a discussion which has been ongoing for some time, maybe not

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If this was the first communication i would agree completely but if it's part of a discussion which has been ongoing for some time, maybe not
Indeed we may not know the whole story, but some were jumping straight to the conclusion that the stepdad is in the wrong without having any evidence. Taking the OP at face value, I'd just suggest they contact Mr Barber and ask for longer to pay what's owed, and all should be good. It could have just been someone from the club who was having to deal with lots of outstanding debt from people who were pulling a fast one, and they got a bit over zealous.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Now im going to be paranoid as I scan my concession ticket this afternoon. Think I will just stay at home rather than risk a steward deciding im in the wrong

bus pass might do the job?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
If something costs £50, and they only charge your card £40 by mistake, do you keep schtum? I know that if I pay for my lunch with a tenner and they give me change for a twenty, I always point out their mistake and hand back the extra. Don't you? If something is delivered by mistake to your address when its meant for your neighbour, do you keep it so the company has to send out a replacement? I would have thought its just part and parcel of being a good citizen in our society. But hey, maybe our values and morals really have gone down the drain.

good job sharia law hasn't kicked in yet.....the pour old chap would have his hands cut off...!!

Smoky McPot

May 12, 2009
Hang on, have you never accidentally bought the wrong train ticket (i.e off peak but travelled on peak), they normally give you a chance to pay the difference. How is this any different? You owe the club a sum of money and they have every right to stop you attending until your debt is paid. More to this story than meets the eye.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The club changed the concession pension age from 60 to 65 approx 5 years ago. Some of us were already over 60 but not yet 65, but already at the concession rate. It's possible that it was a genuine mistake.
I was paying concession rate aged 63 because the club agreed that those who had already reached that milestone wouldn't have to revert to full price. The first renewal at the Amex, Ie. March 2012 saw my ticket price rise to adult. I drove to the ticket office to explain the club policy for us inbetweeners. It went back down to the concession rate again. I wasn't the only one, as there were several of us in the queue that day.

It is possible that this has happened to the OP's relative, but discussion with the club is important, not posting it on Nsc.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
It would be interesting to know what lengths the club have gone to in order to clamp down on age related ticket issues. Do you have to provide proof of age when buying a season ticket at a concessionary rate? I wonder if they have cross referenced the date of births provided by those aged 65+ with the electoral roll? If I were in charge and I thought it was a widespread problem it's what I'd do despite it being a time consuming task.

I thought it was established at the time applying for ST and think I remember offering uo my drivers license as proof. I understood from that time that an OAP concession depended upon age at the time of application and did not change if 65 was reached during the season but would be applied in subsequent seasons.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Catching up with my email this morning and I've just seen I missed a release about this from the club yesterday.

It states that the club will always look to work out a payment plan and not demand a lump sum where possible, and they are well aware that there are some genuine mistakes that happen.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I have Adult and one under twenty one season ticket......I accidentally used U21 (they look the same) and was challenged, my son had allready gone through with my adult ticket. However it was easy he showed the adult ticket to Steward and all was settled. I am now carefull to use correct ticket.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hang on, have you never accidentally bought the wrong train ticket (i.e off peak but travelled on peak), they normally give you a chance to pay the difference. How is this any different? You owe the club a sum of money and they have every right to stop you attending until your debt is paid. More to this story than meets the eye.

Accidently buy the wrong train ticket? Given the Byzantine fare structure and different carriers in the UK do you mean accidentally buy the right ticket?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

If you were using the wrong train season ticket - certainly over a period of time - you'd get to present your excuses in court...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here