Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stay in your homes! How long could you last?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Watching all the terrible things happening in Japan at the moment got Mrs T and myself thinking: how long could we survive if something similar happened here?

So how much of a food store do you have for an emergency? Here's your scenario:

Your local nuclear power plant has just blown up, releasing a dense cloud of radioactive dust into the atmosphere. The authorities have issued a warning to stay in your home until further notice with immediate effect. If you so much as open a window, your face will melt, so no sneaky popping out to the shops.

Your electricity has gone off, with no chance of it returning, because the power station has just exploded. That means even if you have a well-stocked freezer, it will all go off in a couple of days. Eat the contents wisely and quickly.

Fortunately the glowing rubble is providing enough heat for your area that you won't freeze to death. And for the purposes of this exercise, Allah has smiled on you and you have retained a means of cooking (Primus stove or suchlike), and incredibly you still have a safe water supply, so you're OK for boiling rice etc.

Eating household pets, lodgers, live-in mothers-in-law etc. in order to survive longer is permissable, but must be specified.

I reckon we could last about 25 days, although the last few meals will consist of boiled rice with mixed herbs, so will not be that mouthwatering.

Add another 25 days if beer and wine supplies count as part of your 5-a-day.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
i once did 55 days on 2 smoothies a day and water.

what we "need to eat" is not fixed, we can alchemically change our physiology....there is no norm.

cold is a sensation that one can thwart with consciousness.

freezers are not needed, one can bury food in the ground, or bags in cold water etc.

25 days? you are very lame.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
i once did 55 days on 2 smoothies a day and water.

what we "need to eat" is not fixed, we can alchemically change our physiology....there is no norm.

cold is a sensation that one can thwart with consciousness.

freezers are not needed, one can bury food in the ground, or bags in cold water etc.

25 days? you are very lame.

What i meant to specify in the OP was 'eating more or less your normal quantities each day, not rationing'. And you can't bury anything in the ground as you can't go outside.

But yes, I realise 25 days is not long. That's why I have been buying more tins of baked beans lately...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The safe water supply and cooking facility are key here.

If we planned carefully... i.e. assumed it was going to be a LONG time, and we didn't have to do any physical work to ensure survival... then I think the 5 of us could survive for at least 60 days with some sort of food... and then another 20-30 days at least after that.

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull
What i meant to specify in the OP was 'eating more or less your normal quantities each day, not rationing'. And you can't bury anything in the ground as you can't go outside.

But yes, I realise 25 days is not long. That's why I have been buying more tins of baked beans lately...

No nuclear power stations in Swindon.....plus Ganges Curry house delivers

So all will be OK

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The safe water supply and cooking facility are key here.

If we planned carefully... i.e. assumed it was going to be a LONG time, and we didn't have to do any physical work to ensure survival... then I think the 5 of us could survive for at least 60 days with some sort of food... and then another 20-30 days at least after that.
Interesting challenge for us would be digging through the floor of the dining room to get to the freezer and barbecue in the garage - Bear Grylls would question the value of the food in the freezer compared to the calorific outlay in digging...

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
i thought swindon had already had a massive nuclear fallout - all the six fingers and strange people?

(ill get me coat)

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Interesting challenge for us would be digging through the floor of the dining room to get to the freezer and barbecue in the garage - Bear Grylls would question the value of the food in the freezer compared to the calorific outlay in digging...

If it's a wooden floor, then you should not have much difficulty, and would also have a great supply of wood for fires, manufacturing makeshift furniture, or addition shelter from the radiation, splinting broken limbs etc...

I would go for it.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
i thought swindon had already had a massive nuclear fallout - all the six fingers and strange people?

(ill get me coat)

I've managed two and a half days so far. I have enough to see me through the next two days, then I have enough staples(rice, pasta, noodles) to see me through another 7 or 8 days. Nothing to go with them though...

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
I've managed two and a half days so far. I have enough to see me through the next two days, then I have enough staples(rice, pasta, noodles) to see me through another 7 or 8 days. Nothing to go with them though...

Will Swindon's Ganges curry house deliver to Tokyo? It might be worth giving them a call...

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
If it's a wooden floor, then you should not have much difficulty, and would also have a great supply of wood for fires, manufacturing makeshift furniture, or addition shelter from the radiation, splinting broken limbs etc...

I would go for it.
Not an expert on house construction but I'm guessing the garage roof would be more substantial...? I am liking, however, your idea about the manufacture of makeshift furniture - could prove invaluable.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
They are currently evaluating plans to build the biggest one in Europe, 26 miles away in Didcot...:thumbsup:

Aren't they propising on building the first nuclear FUSION power plant in Didcot? In which case there won't be the danger of a nuclear fallout.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Not an expert on house construction but I'm guessing the garage roof would be more substantial...? I am liking, however, your idea about the manufacture of makeshift furniture - could prove invaluable.

If you have wooden floorboards in the kitchen... then you probably have a layer of insulation material (rockwool-type stuff) and then pink fire-resistant plasterboard.

Nothing that a decent carving knife couldn't get through!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No nuclear power stations in Swindon.....

but you'll find you have a couple up wind of you in the Bristol channel which are under 100 miles away.

i could do a week to 10 days or so. frankly anything serious enough to keep you indoors much longer you'll wish you were dead anyway and just take your chances. and very few have access to an off mains water supply to see them through either.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
No need for freezer, when I have two large cats in the house - fresh meat "on the hoof". Mind you, I'm not sure if I should eat them or their food first.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here