Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stavros from The Seagull Specials 1970/80's

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I don't know why, but in the middle of the night, Stavros who used to work for the club and help run the 'Seagull Specials' suddenly came into my head.

Nicknamed after the much loved member of the Kojak detective series, I think his real name was Tony and he lived in West Worthing.

Does anyone else remember him, or like Bobby Ewing was this all part of an elaborate dream?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
There was some reminiscing about him on a thread a few months ago talking about the Seagulls Specials. Can't remember much about what was said other than that it mentioned him.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Stavros is a legend. I almost knocked him off his bike in Hove back in the 80's.

My first instinct was to say "sorry Stavros". He loved it.

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
I don't know why, but in the middle of the night, Stavros who used to work for the club and help run the 'Seagull Specials' suddenly came into my head.

Nicknamed after the much loved member of the Kojak detective series, I think his real name was Tony and he lived in West Worthing.

Does anyone else remember him, or like Bobby Ewing was this all part of an elaborate dream?
Remember him well. He would always advise putting the blinds down when the train was going through a dodgy area.

Proved good advice after we played Man City at Maine Road as stones and bricks rained down on the windows.

Along with Chris ‘do you think I’m sexy‘ Tilley, Stavros brings back great memories of those away days of that bygone era.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes! Remember him well. The 'Seagull Specials' were absolutely brilliant. I only ever knew him as Stavros, as mentioned his first name was Tony and think his surname was McCleod, but I could be wrong. He was in some ways the Albion personified. Sadly missed along with Ron Pavey and Tony Millard, other legends of that era. :(

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
The Seagulls Special... bangers, mash, beans and gravy for 60p after a cold game up north.

Nectar from the gods.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The Seagulls Special... bangers, mash, beans and gravy for 60p after a cold game up north.

Nectar from the gods.
Oh yes, the bangers, mash and beans. Heavenly. What with the card schools and the smuggled alcohol it really was a social club on wheels. Talking of the card schools I do believe @Gwylan put himself through university on the money he won!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’m sure he lived in Tarring in Worthing didn’t he ? Or maybe the memories are blurred. Always bollocking us Clifton lot.

veuve

Jun 27, 2015
I was on the ss to the Luton away game ,when we explained we couldn't get to the Newcastle game (3 ss sold out) he wrote us out tickets for the guards van.top man.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Nectar from the gods.
Surprised none of you died from food poisoning! British Rail couldn’t make a BLT back in the day never mind serve such exotic fayre as that!

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Yeah, remember Stavros. I worked with him as a train Guard. Tony was a lovely guy. Was a Guard at West Worthing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here