Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Statistics don't lie!!!!!!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I thought they were marginally better than in the first half where Mitoma would put them out of play at the back post. I didn't think putting the ball in the air was a particularly astute tactic full stop when they had so many tall players.

If we had to cross it I'd have liked drilled low crosses, cause a bit of panic. I also wanted to see us run at them more. Win free kicks in dangerous places, get them booked and then greater opportunity arises as they become reluctant to tackle. But that is my quite simplistic take on it. I suppose that whatever the plan was we didn't really carry it out.

Yeah going a goal down isn't a great start and going three down really isn't recommended!

Agree with all your points.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It springs to mind 3 games at the Amex this year; Leicester 5-2, Brentford 3-3, Everton 1-5.

In each game we were caught cold early in the game and went behind. They were probably similar opening goals tbh (although I'm guessing a bit). In both the Leicester and Brentford games we responded, but also got caught again.

What didn't happen against Everton was carrying that same intensity of threat that the other 2 games had. We are going to make mistakes in most games, but to make so many in that first 35 mins, it was like someone had saved up 5 or 6 games-worths of mistakes and chucked them all into this game.

I think this is why RDZ spoke about mentality. We can look at selections, tactics, goalkeepers and anything else, BUT, none of those matter if you keep repeating fundamental mistakes. There was no getting back yesterday simply because of the volume of mistakes.

Law of averages, we were going to get caught out badly sooner or later. (I didn’t see the Forest game, so can’t comment). Not hindsight, I said it at the time, Manure could’ve been several goals up against first halves Wembley and the Amex. Some great saves and awful shooting preventing that. The decent defensive unit of Estupinan, Dunk, Veltman and one other CB, a thing of earlier this season. Opened up at will.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Such stats are quantative not qualitative data. Their five shots were taken in vast open spaces and ours were through a packed penalty box. This kind of openness to counterattacks was a frequent flaw under Potter, but yesterday was the first time it has really been obvious under RDZ.

Smug though he will be feeling over stuffing the flavour of the month foreign tactical genius, I don't buy that Dyche's tactics were the main issue. Everton's team executed their plan very well but the low block, quick attack is not something that we haven't faced and beaten this season. For me it was our tiredness and poor passing that gave them the opportunities. We started terribly and as the lead increased, our risk taking also increased and we frequently left ourselves massively open. I worry that last night was the result of a small, depleted and relatively inexperienced squad playing 5 games in 15 days. I worry because starting next weekend the same squad now has to play 5 in 14 days.
Exactly this. Too few quality players for rotation. Buonanotte doesn't even seem to want to play, Undav hopeless, and Welbz all over the place, and that's just the forward line. This could just be the oddball game where everything went wrong, but I wouldn't be overly surprised if we fail to win another game. Just so want to be wrong...

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Had Everton finished like that for their other matches this season, they would have easily sewn up the title by now, Haaland or no Haaland.

Even without the improved finishing, had Pickford shown that sort of form over the whole season, they would certainly be mid table.

It's a funny old game
Agreed and if we played like that all season we would be fighting with stains for bottom spot. I guess it goes to show the tight tolerances of this league

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Surely it's a smash, smash, smash, smash, smash and grab?
I initially described it as the biggest steal since Reynolds and Co stopped the train in 1963, till my Aston Villa supporting mate pointed out that Bruce and cop didn’t rob 5 trains that night only the one 😂

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Exactly this. Too few quality players for rotation. Buonanotte doesn't even seem to want to play, Undav hopeless, and Welbz all over the place, and that's just the forward line. This could just be the oddball game where everything went wrong, but I wouldn't be overly surprised if we fail to win another game. Just so want to be wrong...
This has to be classic Albion / Football fan mentality. Don't lose more than 2 in a row all season, then following 1 big defeat we're going to loose 6 in a row...come on, pull yourself together.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It was a classic Dyche smash and grab raid. Their counter attacking was excellent, our defending wasn't.
The more I think about it, it was a case of everything going right for Everton and nothing going right for us.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
A perfect demonstration of the phrase " Lies, damned lies, and statistics" :(
I did a semester of statistics at uni and will forever remember one example used about head injuries during WW1
Halfway through the war army issue headwear was upgraded from cloth caps to tin helmets.
It was a shock to find that this upgrade INCREASED the number of head injury casualties!!!

How come?

Because fewer were dying from their head injuries ...

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
87% of statistics quoted, are just made up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here