Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Statistically It's not Burn we're missing, it's Webster

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Probably not - I think he actually has a few injuries / niggles - and the treatment has been pretty heavy going so not sure potentially injuring him any more is a good plan

Agreed, thank God some of the eejits on here aren't running the team...

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Exactly.

Burn was great cover and versatile. Prior to leaving he was playing his best football, and it feels like everyone is clinging to this rather than the near fact, that with everyone fit he was on the bench.

IMO Burn should have kept his place with Dunk returning , not only was he playing his best football (after an extended run in his true position) he was playing bettr than the rest of our defenders and that includes Webster. You suggest people have selective and short memories but forget that Webster was making mistakes which have cost us games..

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
IMO Burn should have kept his place with Dunk returning , not only was he playing his best football (after an extended run in his true position) he was playing bettr than the rest of our defenders and that includes Webster. You suggest people have selective and short memories but forget that Webster was making mistakes which have cost us games..

Not really.

He wasn’t playing better than Webster earlier in the season (IMO). For all the “he did well at LWB”, he actually wasn’t that great, for me, and frequently got caught positionally. As per my post I agree he was playing his best football when he left, but prior to that he certainly wouldn’t have warranted a starting place over Dunk, Webster or Veltman.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Not really.

He wasn’t playing better than Webster earlier in the season (IMO). For all the “he did well at LWB”, he actually wasn’t that great, for me, and frequently got caught positionally. As per my post I agree he was playing his best football when he left, but prior to that he certainly wouldn’t have warranted a starting place over Dunk, Webster or Veltman.

I guess its all a matter of opinions and our centre halves have certainly been on a bit of a roller coaster i.e. Shane Duffy was probably the best of them (defensively) at the start of the season and he has been binned off by everyone. Not sure if Dunk has been at his best all season. Webster is great at coming forward but does have a mistake in him pretty much every game.

The debate is not about Burn as LWB as you say he was a bit erratic , the debate is how well you think he performed as a classic CB and the answer was he was doing brilliantly and we as a team did ok and reasons for that are a) having a decent fill in CB meant we maintained our 5 at the back b) our 'stand-in' CB played very well, got the ball forward much quicker than Dunk does c) Burn actually started to use his height properly both defensively and offensively.

Burn is Paulo Maldini but he wasn't some poor 4th or 5th choice .

The financial losses show why we sold the player and I can accept that but what I don't accept is that he was a poor 4th choice or that we got a good fee for him. Burnley paid £12million for someone with no PL experience and should we seek to replace him from outside the club we may have to pay similar.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I guess its all a matter of opinions and our centre halves have certainly been on a bit of a roller coaster i.e. Shane Duffy was probably the best of them (defensively) at the start of the season and he has been binned off by everyone. Not sure if Dunk has been at his best all season. Webster is great at coming forward but does have a mistake in him pretty much every game.

The debate is not about Burn as LWB as you say he was a bit erratic , the debate is how well you think he performed as a classic CB and the answer was he was doing brilliantly and we as a team did ok and reasons for that are a) having a decent fill in CB meant we maintained our 5 at the back b) our 'stand-in' CB played very well, got the ball forward much quicker than Dunk does c) Burn actually started to use his height properly both defensively and offensively.

Burn is Paulo Maldini but he wasn't some poor 4th or 5th choice .

The financial losses show why we sold the player and I can accept that but what I don't accept is that he was a poor 4th choice or that we got a good fee for him. Burnley paid £12million for someone with no PL experience and should we seek to replace him from outside the club we may have to pay similar.

I think you’re being a bit harsh on Webster, I think in his first season he certainly made errors both positionally and was easily bullied, this year I don’t recall anything that drastic.

Dunk has been up and down, and Duffy had a few good games.

It is opinions, and Burn was certainly never a ‘poor 4th choice’, but he was 4th choice. Fee wise, I maintain £18m was about right, but then with add-ons we may have near that….

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here