Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Statins

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
So here I am, a young(ish) 45. I think I'm pretty fit. I eat a healthy diet - not too much meat, lots of fibre and all that. I'm not overweight. I exercise regularly. I don't smoke or do any other drugs. OK, so I probably drink "a little" (insert ironic smiley here) more beer than a doctor would recommend, but besides that I thought I was doing pretty well.

Then this morning the doctor tells me I've genetically-inherited high cholesterol from my parents and has put me on statins, probably for the rest of my life. Previously I'd always considered them an old people's drug.

Am I justified in feeling as cheated and pissed off about it as I do? Or is everyone else on them too and just manfully getting on with life with a stiff upper lip and all that?

Sorry for grumbling... :down:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Hmmmmm I'd do my own investigating before you take anything prescribed due to "genetically inheriting" cholesterol....

There are many a thing you can add to your diet to help cholesterol levels prior to resorting to drugs...statins although helpful do have a few side effect which my Dad has branded as "socially unacceptable" (ie farting) also I believe although am not sure that you have to moderate your alcohol...

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
tedebear said:
Hmmmmm I'd do my own investigating before you take anything prescribed due to "genetically inheriting" cholesterol....

There are many a thing you can add to your diet to help cholesterol levels prior to resorting to drugs...statins although helpful do have a few side effect which my Dad has branded as "socially unacceptable" (ie farting) also I believe although am not sure that you have to moderate your alcohol...

Unfortunately the doctor is probably right though. Both my mum and dad have it. My lifestyle is identical to Mrs Trufflehound's, including the beer part, yet her levels were 40% lower than mine. The genes are the only difference between us.

Cutting down the beer might make a light difference, but not enough statistically according to the doctor. and my diet is already a model of low cholesterolness, to no avail...

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Tsk, bummer, sorry to hear that. To state the bleedin' obvious (if that is the right term with cholesterol), better to find out now something like that than when it's too late. And if, as Tedster says, flatulence is the only side effect, you of all people can always blame it on the sprout curry.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Man of Harveys said:
Tsk, bummer, sorry to hear that. To state the bleedin' obvious (if that is the right term with cholesterol), better to find out now something like that than when it's too late. And if, as Tedster says, flatulence is the only side effect, you of all people can always blame it on the sprout curry.

Absolutely. Try not to worry about it too much Truffle.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Sorry - I probably wasn't clear - the doctor has probably got it spot on - its very common, what I was saying is that you can try quite a few other ways of reducing your "bad" cholesterol before you try statins, although the side effects of statins are not common, they are quite yucky! Statins stop the production of the bad cholesterol in your liver, diet and exercise can do this although people with a predisposition (like yourself) or diabetics (like eastlondonseagull) make it much harder or impossible.

I'd try other natural diet and exercise before resorting to statins if it were me - thats what I was trying to say (badly) :down: :lol:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
Man of Harveys said:

I already fart enough to lift the duvet at night, so I don't suppose I'll notice that much difference. It's more that whenever I visit my parents these days I look at the array of little pills they get out and have to take every dinner time, and I think "poor sods, they're starting to get old - hope I don't get like that." And now here I am...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm on them as preventative for hereditary reasons as well. Probably won't make you feel any better but you are not alone :lol:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
tedebear said:
I'd try other natural diet and exercise before resorting to statins if it were me - thats what I was trying to say (badly) :down: :lol:

No, you said it fine. I was a bit surprised I admit. I was expecting him to say something like: "Change your lifestyle habits, come back in six months and if things haven't improved, THEN we'll try drugs".

But his theory was" "You're young, you're healthy, you're thin, you don't smoke, your parents have it. QED. Lifestyle changes won't help you. Drugs for you it is then..."

Maybe he has shares in the drugs company.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Trufflehound said:
Perhaps we should form a support group. :lolol:

The only support group I want to go near is the one I can see from the bar before the main act is on stage :lolol:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Well your doc will know far better than me :blush: but my Dad took them for a bit and had some abdominal discomfort (shall we say) and decided to look into other ways of keeping the chol. down, he's done ok for about 8 years now and has it tested each 6 months with his doc. I believe celery is high on his diet but I'll check with him.....

There is a place in this world for preventative drugs, but I'm a firm believer in understanding how we can naturally sort things out...

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
tedebear said:
There is a place in this world for preventative drugs, but I'm a firm believer in understanding how we can naturally sort things out...

I'm 100% with you there. This is the first prescription drug I've been given since I was 15 (i.e. a bloody long time). Which makes it a double pisser. I've never been one to reach for the medicine cabinet unless absolutely necessary.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
What should we do to cheer you up?
Cocoa_chi_clown.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here