Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Statement from Mr Barber

The Club - Mr. Barber - is still in a difficult situaiton but how much is due to them? This statement contains some utter bollox such as "we do intend to appoint an experienced interim manager to oversee first-team training, working with our existing staff. Given the uncertainty of recent weeks, we have had to consider and plan for every eventuality to ensure we eliminate any possibility of disruption to our preparations for the new season."

Mmm that will be interesting and some may say nigh on impossible - lots more spin to come and iots more screwing fans (customers) to maximise profits (minimise losses) - it's a whole new world....

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Why's that then? Because I think someone is a lying, manipulative cock?

What evidence do you have to back up that damning character assassination? Do you know him? Have you observed him at work? Surely no right-minded person would come up with such a statement without hard evidence. Why would anyone want to insult someone with words like that just for the fun of it? Please tell us what you know!

I presume you also have the same opinion of Tony Bloom and the Board, because everything Barber has done and said will have been at their request or with their approval.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I suspect a new poll now would be an interesting read..... Gus stay or go?.... I suspect the result will be in the region of 80% for Gus to go given the current circumstances and known details.

PS: I have no idea how to do a poll by the way, even if I could be bothered.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
The Club - Mr. Barber - is still in a difficult situaiton but how much is due to them? This statement contains some utter bollox such as "we do intend to appoint an experienced interim manager to oversee first-team training, working with our existing staff. Given the uncertainty of recent weeks, we have had to consider and plan for every eventuality to ensure we eliminate any possibility of disruption to our preparations for the new season."

Mmm that will be interesting and some may say nigh on impossible - lots more spin to come and iots more screwing fans (customers) to maximise profits (minimise losses) - it's a whole new world....

1. I don't feel that I'm being screwed by the Club.
2. I am perfectly happy to be called a customer and a fan, as that's exactly what I am.
3. I'd much rather the Club had profits than losses!

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I suspect a new poll now would be an interesting read..... Gus stay or go?.... I suspect the result will be in the region of 80% for Gus to go given the current circumstances and known details.

About 95% I reckon.

What I don't like about every Barber statement is the fact he keeps putting the 'looking for players' in the same sentence as 'cutting costs'. It makes me slighty worried . . .

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Fortunately we have the most experienced man in the World at dealing with this sort of thing, working for the Club. Spooky or what?

History of Vancouver Whitecaps FC
An ownership group in Vancouver were granted the seventeenth Major League Soccer franchise on March 18, 2009 by MLS Commissioner Don Garber.[SUP][3][/SUP] While no name was provided at the Vancouver announcement, over a year later the club confirmed it would keep the Whitecaps name.[SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP][SUP][6][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP]
In preparation for its first MLS season, the Whitecaps brought in executive talent from around the world. On November 24, 2009, Paul Barber, former Tottenham Hotspur F.C. executive, was announced to join the club as CEO. Others joining him included former D.C. United head coach Tom Soehn as Director of Operations and Dutch national Richard Grootscholten as the Technical Director and head coach of the residency program.
As the head coach of the USL and later USSF Division 2 Vancouver Whitecaps, former Iceland international Teitur Thordarson was confirmed as head coach on September 2, 2010 for the inaugural MLS season.[SUP][8][/SUP] He was subsequently relieved of his duties on May 30, 2011 after the Whitecaps won just one of their first twelve matches. Tom Soehn, Whitecaps FC director of soccer operations, replaced Thordarson on an interim basis.[SUP][9][/SUP]
The Whitecaps began play in the 2011 MLS season with their first match on March 19, 2011, against rival Canadians Toronto FC, which they won 4–2. The first goal in the Whitecaps' MLS era was scored by Eric Hassli.[SUP][10][/SUP] After their winning start the Whitecaps struggled, and failed to secure another victory in their next 11 MLS games, drawing six and losing five. In the aftermath of their 1–1 tie with the New York Red Bulls on May 30 head coach Teitur Thordarson was fired.[SUP][11][/SUP] Tom Soehn took over coaching duties for the remainder of the 2011 season, while Martin Rennie was announced as the new permanent head coach on August 9, taking over officially on November 3.[SUP][12][/SUP]
On March 3, 2012, the Whitecaps won their first minor, pre-season cup at the 2012 Walt Disney World Pro Soccer Classic defeating Toronto FC 1–0 thanks to a goal by Camilo.
On October 21, 2012, the Whitecaps became the first Canadian team to earn a spot in the MLS playoffs.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
What evidence do you have to back up that damning character assassination? Do you know him? Have you observed him at work? Surely no right-minded person would come up with such a statement without hard evidence. Why would anyone want to insult someone with words like that just for the fun of it? Please tell us what you know!

I presume you also have the same opinion of Tony Bloom and the Board, because everything Barber has done and said will have been at their request or with their approval.

Well, according to an earlier post on a different topic, Arundel_Seagull says, "I certainly don't read something put infront of me and treat it as gospel.I form my own opinion based on instinct, dissecting and researching the topic via unbiased sources and learning from past events."

So that must be the answer to your question :)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Indeed.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Every time Mr B writes something it's good. Reassuring. I hope his team step up to the standard he expects.

He does at least allude - albeit subtly - to a few things the club may have done differently without admitting mistakes.

I just hope he can provide communication like this on a more regular basis - even if it is to say there's not much more we can tell you. If I were the club, I'd diarise a CEO's weekly update for fans.

RupertsFlan

Nov 28, 2012

Interesting points you raise.

Perhaps you could now come up with the difficult piece and suggest in detail what YOU would do.

I suspect (and am happy to be be proven wrong) that you simply complain about things in very general terms rather than detail and have as much idea as to what the alternatives required are as the other simpletons that complain with no idea as to what the other options are.

Perhaps start with:

1. Specifically how are the fans being screwed? Direct debits for season tickets, cost of food and drinks pretty much in line with pubs and restaurants.

2. The idea of minimise losses and maximising profits - could you explain how you would run the business? I suspect you would need to pay players and staff etc and for that you would need cash. Perhaps you are mulit billionaire who would simply throw money at the club? But then of course that would mean your rather tiny brain has not understood what Financial Fair Play means?

3. Utter bollox in the statement. 'We do intend to appoint......' - it's the line you picked out as bollox. Precisely what in this bollox - you must have real inside knoweldge or are, in fact part of the decision making at the club to be able to tell everyone on here factually that they do not intend to appoint an experienced manager..

So if you coudl answer those in detail that would b great. If not of course I will maintain my initial thought that you have simply scribbled down the first thing that came to mind without minding whether or not it contained a grain of sense or truth.

Thanks.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Well, according to an earlier post on a different topic, Arundel_Seagull says, "I certainly don't read something put infront of me and treat it as gospel.I form my own opinion based on instinct, dissecting and researching the topic via unbiased sources and learning from past events."

So that must be the answer to your question :)

I'll ignore instinct ,and I'd love to now what he has learned from past events to give him that opinion of Barber. And if he lets us know the result of his dissecting and researching, along with his 'unbiased sources', it might be possible to agree with him.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Give him a break, he's only ruined our reputation and lossed all our appeal to new players and managers
If I had to choose the way we would sack poyet, on live TV would be my first. Great going Paul

I thought I knew sarcasm, but I honestly can't work out whether this is pro- or anti-Barber. You could read it either way ...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Every time Mr B writes something it's good. Reassuring. I hope his team step up to the standard he expects.

He does at least allude - albeit subtly - to a few things the club may have done differently without admitting mistakes.

I just hope he can provide communication like this on a more regular basis - even if it is to say there's not much more we can tell you. If I were the club, I'd diarise a CEO's weekly update for fans.

I think he's most likely an approachable bloke, somewhat demonised. At the end of the day, he went through an interview process with our chairman:
TB: we need to be profitable
PB: I have experience of doing that
TB: we need to run this club like a business, it needs to stand on it's own 2 feet and aspire to the highest level
PB: I also have experience of doing that, here is my CV, here is my setting out of how I will achieve it...
TB: That looks great, you're hired.

Fans turn on PB - only doing everything he has been hired to do by our chairman....

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Recent events have not stopped our recruitment team, led by David Burke, our head of football operations, identifying player targets and we can expect to see some movement on this front over the next few weeks. As usual, this is something the chairman continues to be heavily involved in too. Similarly, we continue to work behind the scenes on new contracts for those players who were with us last season and we want to retain. Again, as is normally the case, these discussions take place over a number of weeks and typically accelerate as pre-season commences. And, despite the issues we have faced of late, we are not behind with any of this work.

Most of it is very well versed, but this bit may highlight what was potentially the tension between Gus vs the board. Why are we signing up players / extending contracts without a manager??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here