Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - with Spoilers - discussion thread

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Just finished watching it at the IMAX in Norwich.

I loved it, I really did and need to watch it again asap.

Still cant get Solo falling from that platform out of my mind though. Haunting.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I keep coming back to this thread because I can't get the film out of head. I'm middle aged, I don't watch many action films and nothing from the Marvel catalogue. I watch a lot of low budget drama and yet there is just something about Star Wars that I find utterly enthralling.

The sequence where Rey gathers the lightsaber from under Ren's nose using the force and the original, unaltered 1977 score played totally got me. I had a lump in my throat the size of a melon. Films of this sort just shouldn't do this to me.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think this is the only possibility if she isn't Lukes daughter. She clearly wasn't aware that she could be related. If she was his daughter I struggle to believe that Luke wouldn't have her already at his side. He would have rescued her.

Also the standoff at the end was too long. If they were father and daughter they would have known. Particually with his sabre factored in.
I've just quoted you guys, as you are the most recent to wonder about Rey's origins.

The obvious answer is that she is of the Skywalker lineage somehow, as she is so strong in the Force.

But, having now seen it twice, there's something about the confrontation with Kylo Ren at the end that got me thinking.

Her fighting style.

Who does it remind you of?

Obi Wan? No.

Luke? Nope.

Any other Jedi? No.

Darth Vader? Nope.

She fights almost exactly like Emperor Palatine, at least almost exactly like his lightsaber style at the end of Revenge of the Sith.

Clearly her force powers are coming to her without any training, so must be coming from and inspired by someone else.

Could she be somehow created by the Emperor?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've just quoted you guys, as you are the most recent to wonder about Rey's origins.
I think those guys should go for a beer together.

Her fighting style.

Who does it remind you of?

Obi Wan? No.

Luke? Nope.

Any other Jedi? No.

Darth Vader? Nope.

She fights almost exactly like Emperor Palatine, at least almost exactly like his lightsaber style at the end of Revenge of the Sith.

Clearly her force powers are coming to her without any training, so must be coming from and inspired by someone else.

Could she be somehow created by the Emperor?
Ooo, that's messy. He'd have to be a grandparent, so we've got missing parents too.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I'm 35 and was pant wettingly excited about this film coming out. My co-workers who are just a few years younger than me(30 and 29) have never seen any of the films(originals or prequels) have no interest in seeing them and have no interest in watching this one. It blew my mind that anyone could feel this way. So I'm wondering if it's an age thing, was I at the youngest end of the age spectrum that would have grown up loving them?

You're theory's probably about right, as I'm in the same age bracket as your co-workers. Having said that, I do know plenty of people my age and younger who are as obsessed by SW as anyone.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I walked out of the cinema 6 hours ago but cannot get the film out of my mind.

I'm finding it quite distracting and am in a but of a daze with it all.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I walked out of the cinema 6 hours ago but cannot get the film out of my mind.

I'm finding it quite distracting and am in a but of a daze with it all.
So you hated it?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
As [MENTION=24838]Bladders[/MENTION] has said, it has created a strong emotional response for me also. Both the Han Solo death and the moment when Rey realises her true power during the fight with Ren/Ben.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
I've never watched more then 20 mins of Star Wars until this one, always got bored and turned it off. My mate dragged me along to this on Saturday, not knowing anything about the previous episodes.
I thought it was fantastic, and will be watching the rest asap, along with this one again.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
As @Bladders has said, it has created a strong emotional response for me also. Both the Han Solo death and the moment when Rey realises her true power during the fight with Ren/Ben.

This is the bit that got me the most. I could kind of see it coming on that platform, but honestly didn't think it would ACTUALLY happen.

Seeing one of my favourite film characters not go out in a blaze of glory, but murdered in cold blood by his son, and then watching his lifeless body just fall into that mist. Then seeing Chewy go ballistic.

A very powerful scene.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I wasn't being serious.

As @Bladders has said, it has created a strong emotional response for me also. Both the Han Solo death and the moment when Rey realises her true power during the fight with Ren/Ben.
She got a feeling of her power a bit before that. Rey was just so good, far better than I expected her to be.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
That is Star Wars. And they're not all coincidences, the force guides everything. But if you don't like that sort of thing, I guess you didn't like the original:
Luke and uncle Owen go and buy some droids, and happen to pick up the one droid that has the plans to the death star. Said droid runs away, Luke goes to find it, get's knocked out, and the person that the droid was looking for is out and about and finds them. So they go to Alderaan, which blows up while they're on the way there. So they land on a space station, and rescue a princess, who happens to be Luke's sister.

Eh? I'm not knocking Bond, but if you don't like seeing the same thing repeated, could you have come up with a worse example? Bond charms lady, gets what he needs, lady dies, Bond kills all the bad guys.

I love Star Wars, but I wouldn't expect an adult to start watching it now and feel the same. The main reason is that when I was a kid there was nothing in the world like Star Wars. Nothing that had such an interesting and diverse world (galaxy), that had the movie effects, that had the imaginative power of the force. To say nothing came close is a huge understatement. And those characters still exist (although one died on Thursday :( ) and I got to see them again, in the same magical world. Children can feel the same though. Right now my daughter is demanding that we watch Revenge of the Sith again.

I saw the original in 1977 thanks.

My point was (and stands) is was too much of an apology to a small group of geeks who know apparently better. Sorry everyone - we'll just remake the first one after completely ******* up the prequels.

I loved the original series. Have a radio (not remote) R2D2 and unfortunately have long lost the complete comic book story with a different ending

Was expecting something much much better in terms of story.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Seeing one of my favourite film characters not go out in a blaze of glory, but murdered in cold blood by his son, and then watching his lifeless body just fall into that mist.

A very powerful scene.[/QUOTE]

Reminded me of the moment Sirius was struck with a spell, causing him to fall through the Veil in the Death Chamber to his death.
Really Harry Potter story.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I saw the original in 1977 thanks.
Not sure why you're thanking me, but you're most welcome.
My point was (and stands) is was too much of an apology to a small group of geeks who know apparently better. Sorry everyone - we'll just remake the first one after completely ******* up the prequels.
It doesn't really stand, because it seems this movie has appealed to a hell of a lot more people than a small group of geeks. You complained about the coincidences that brought the characters together, but you fail to grasp that was how it was with the originals too.

This is just a hunch, but perhaps when you saw the original in 1977 you weren't a grumpy old man.

Was expecting something much much better in terms of story.
You didn't like it, fair enough, you can't please everyone. I was just pointing out that one of your main complaints this time also applies to the originals. It's easy to forget that the originals weren't perfect either.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Seeing one of my favourite film characters not go out in a blaze of glory, but murdered in cold blood by his son, and then watching his lifeless body just fall into that mist.

A very powerful scene.

Reminded me of the moment Sirius was struck with a spell, causing him to fall through the Veil in the Death Chamber to his death.
Really Harry Potter story.[/QUOTE]

Never seen a HP film so can't comment

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here