Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Star Trek Vs Star Wars

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
The 'beaming down' part is theoretically possible. Scientists have already 'beamed' particles elsewhere quite successfully!

I don't think this is correct. They may have replicated the state of a particle by quantum entanglement over a distance, but this is not actually moving anything anywhere.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
This question is Currently being debated on Five Live.
I’ve been a lifelong SW fan (originals) so would always be Team SW.
However, the sheer volume of SW ‘dross’ that’s been launched since this thread was started, is making me want to vote ST in protest!

Agreed Solo, and the new SW films were utter shite but Mandalorian was utterly incredible. Book of Boba Fett starting to get good, EP1 was pretty slow.

I think they've nailed it with these SW series now. Seem to have united both sides of the SW fanbase. Very much looking forward to Rangers of the New Republic and Ahsoka

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
They were both overrated IMO and took themselves way too seriously. I did enjoy the send ups on The Simpsons though

And Galaxy Quest was a brilliant parody of Star Trek

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
A nearly NINE year old necro! Well done all! :clap:

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I preferred Star Wars as a kid, but in recent years I've got much more into Trek. I guess I just need the positive outlook for the future and the sense that humanity's gonna be okay.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Preferred Blake’s 7 (with it’s shaky sets) and Red Dwarf to both Star Wars and Star Trek :shrug:
[MENTION=6741]jakarta[/MENTION] hit the nail on the head with post #5

They were both overrated IMO and took themselves way too seriously. I did enjoy the send ups on The Simpsons though

And Galaxy Quest was a brilliant parody of Star Trek

Love Galaxy Quest - A spot on parody.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Because of my age I loved the early Star Trek, but never got on with Star Wars which was overbloated soap opera. However I quickly went off all the ST spin-offs as all the characters, including all the aliens from myriad difference species, all sounded like they were graduates of Harvard Business School. Voyager was particularly bad in that respect.

Now also I've gone off the originals. Obviously it's gone on record how ground-breaking the role of Nichelle Nichols was, praised at the time by Martin Luther King and acknowledged as a role model by the next generation of black actresses, but that said I now can't stand the racism shown to Spock. Hardly an episode can go by without someone, usually McCoy making derogatory remarks about his origins, his appearance, and his logical Vulcan being and culture.

Yeah, ok, he's a member of a fictitious species, but McCoy's behaviour legitimises racist attitudes. I now find it uncomfortable, whereas as a boy I didn't think anything of it.

All that being said I can watch 'The city at the edge of forever' (Original) and 'The inner light' (Next Gen) over and over again.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Because of my age I loved the early Star Trek, but never got on with Star Wars which was overbloated soap opera. However I quickly went off all the ST spin-offs as all the characters, including all the aliens from myriad difference species, all sounded like they were graduates of Harvard Business School. Voyager was particularly bad in that respect.

Now also I've gone off the originals. Obviously it's gone on record how ground-breaking the role of Nichelle Nichols was, praised at the time by Martin Luther King and acknowledged as a role model by the next generation of black actresses, but that said I now can't stand the racism shown to Spock. Hardly an episode can go by without someone, usually McCoy making derogatory remarks about his origins, his appearance, and his logical Vulcan being and culture.

Yeah, ok, he's a member of a fictitious species, but McCoy's behaviour legitimises racist attitudes. I now find it uncomfortable, whereas as a boy I didn't think anything of it.

All that being said I can watch 'The city at the edge of forever' (Original) and 'The inner light' (Next Gen) over and over again.

Outstanding parody work.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Star Wars was my life as a kid, I used to forgo my 20p per day for sweets in return for a weekly Star Wars figure and I have a number of autographed collectables.
Obviously there's been some hiccups along the way (Jar-Jar Bink's, the '78 holiday special and numerous George Lucas reworks) but then you have the original trilogy and Rogue One is a superb film.
Book of Boba Fett is getting really good (especially yesterday's episode!) and the Mandalorian is phenomenal. I do think series are the way forward for the franchise as the stories can be anywhere in that almost 70 year period and there's a plethora of characters to explore.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The last great thing from Star Wars was The Empire Strikes Back. The Force Awakens was half decent, although a rehash of earlier work. The Mandalorian was good for about the first 4-5 episodes of S1. (All imho obvs)

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Bar the first three films, Stars Wars is dreadful. Whereas Star Trek was consistently good for years.

I watched a bad episode of TNG over any of the recent Star Wars films.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I like both but for me its got to be Trek. Because there would be no Star Wars without Star Trek. Trek paved the way for so many things in science fiction and outside of the genre.

I think recently both franchises have had some really bad spells. The Star Wars films from the “Force Awakens” onwards have been absolute dross. I also absolutely despise the JJ Abrams Star Trek reboot.

But my affection for Star Wars warmed again, after Rogue One and the Mandalorian which were excellent. I’d much prefer any new Star Wars films to move away from the original films, and start telling original stories with new characters.

Also I think Star Trek made a stunning return with Picard. That series was brilliant. It was like a fanboys love letter to Star Trek.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Star Trek all the way. Starwars Has become kiddyfied and with Disney owning them now It's only going to get more family friendly.

Disagree. Disney will broaden the base with a range of kid-friendly Star Wars productions, but they're also doing a great job (IMO) providing new material for the older generations as well. The Mandalorian is excellent, Book of Boba Fett appears to be on a similar level (although only watched the first episode so far), and the post-Disney acquisition movies have generally been a (significantly in some cases, such as Rogue One) higher standard than the immediate pre-Disney offerings (episodes 1 to 3).

In this respect, I'm seeing a similar strategy starting with Star Wars as has been in place for the Marvel universe for a while now. Again - Marvel appears to have benefited strongly from Disney ownership.

Disney offers a lot more than just kids / family friendly material these days.

Anyway, getting back to Star Wars vs Star Trek: I find it hard to split them. Both franchises have their strengths, and both have weaknesses. Both have some absolutely sublime material, both have some absolute stinkers. For me, I watch them for different reasons (although my love of Sci Fi is common to both). It's not a "one or the other" for me. I do have a soft-spot for Star Wars, though - hard to avoid given I was born May 4th :p.

Last edited:

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
Surely Voyager could take on the death Star - or possibly the Borg ? --are you asleep yet ?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

I'm working my way through TNG now. I recently watched 'The Measure of a Man' and I can't help but feel this is TNG's way of moving past those undertones shown towards Spock. I thought it was really well handled.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here