Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Star Lizard - what exactly do we know?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I would beg to differ. As long as speculation is not maliciously founded, surely in an open society any company should be open to scrutiny and comment?
Any speculation from outside our support base will be maliciously founded, by definition.

And as Danny Baker often said, never shine daylight on magic.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's not just about the algorithms and data, but also how you work with the players once you have them and that is where we are streets ahead of other clubs
Exactly......the data and maths geeks at Starlizard are just another cog in a complex machine. It's the setup of the whole club from top to bottom that is the 'secret'.

Sep 2, 2023
So star lizard is owned by Tony Bloom as far as i understand it and Star Lizard bets on football matches. Tony Bloom owns 2 football clubs. Is this not potentially a conflict of interest?

Just seems to be a bit to close to the edge in this day and age given how strict the rules are around betting and footballers and people involved in football. I have heard that the kit man, tea lady and groundsman are not allowed to place bets in case they have inside knowledge about team selections or injuries which would give them an unfair advantage.

Not suggesting there is any wrong doing but is it possible there could be a knudge knudge wink wink now and again between starlizard employees and people at the club and that this could potentially end up with the club in hot water?

I know Saudis can lollop peoples heads off for jumping a red light and still own football clubs so guess there is nothing to worry about.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
So star lizard is owned by Tony Bloom as far as i understand it and Star Lizard bets on football matches. Tony Bloom owns 2 football clubs. Is this not potentially a conflict of interest?

Just seems to be a bit to close to the edge in this day and age given how strict the rules are around betting and footballers and people involved in football. I have heard that the kit man, tea lady and groundsman are not allowed to place bets in case they have inside knowledge about team selections or injuries which would give them an unfair advantage.

Not suggesting there is any wrong doing but is it possible there could be a knudge knudge wink wink now and again between starlizard employees and people at the club and that this could potentially end up with the club in hot water?

I know Saudis can lollop peoples heads off for jumping a red light and still own football clubs so guess there is nothing to worry about.
Keep up at the back 😁

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Because of what happened with the Brentford owners. No one can move between departments.

Well, that’s according to this:

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
The difference between standard data and analytics and Starlizard i think is relatively straightforward in this context.

As a football team, I'd be primarily looking across datasets with an individual focus. I.e. what can this player do, what are their attributes and their contribution. What could they do for my team? It's kind of the standard Football Manager stuff on steroids.

Starlizard focuses on value as a whole to try to gain an edge on the bookmakers. To do this well requires broader and much deeper analysis across many more factors, time of day, weather, fatigue, all sorts which affect outcomes. It's very heavy D&A likely backed by some clever AI.

In the process of that analysis, you likely find things that you can exploit or that dont go as you expect. You might argue Mitoma's impact at Kawasaki Frontale or De Zerbi's impact at Sassuolo could be such events. When these events dont go as expected, you analyse and re-model.

Starlizard probably caught these influences early and found value and opportunity. We as a rather unique customer, were well placed to also exploit them commercially.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Can't quite believe that nobody realises it's a huge AI project. :shrug:

Also, add up the numbers in 1901. Comes to 11.

Then search 'Star Lizard' in Gematria. It's 128. Comes to 11.

Things that make you go Hmmm....
Screenshot_20230909_064040_Chrome.jpg

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
This is the Athletics take on Starlizard in relation to us.

The starting point for Brighton’s ability to source low-cost gems is the worldwide data on players of owner-chairman Tony Bloom, which nobody else can replicate.

The 53-year-old sports betting entrepreneur has his own software that filters the whole market. The algorithm is a secret, kept even from those inside the club.

Brighton are a client of Bloom’s company, Starlizard, buying in the data that supports the recruitment programme.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Any speculation from outside our support base will be maliciously founded, by definition.

And as Danny Baker often said, never shine daylight on magic.
The first part I partly agree with. Not all outside interest is nasty though, some is just interest.

The second part is a sentiment that sounds fine but it's never practically true as our nature dictates that we are curious and that has been the driver of advancement. I think Danny Baker's quote is a modern equivalent of curiosity killed the cat.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The first part I partly agree with. Not all outside interest is nasty though, some is just interest.

The second part is a sentiment that sounds fine but it's never practically true as our nature dictates that we are curious and that has been the driver of advancement. I think Danny Baker's quote is a modern equivalent of curiosity killed the cat.
I just finished reading DB's third installment of his life story. I have every amount of time for him, That quote is completely apt, in my view.

And as a scientist I of course have curiosity. But I also appreciate the more moral/philosophical issue around my need to know, my right to know and, at the end of the day who gains what by my new knowledge.

I really don't want to know how Tony does it. Any more than I want to know how Ingrid Bergman did that thing she did that made me want to crawl through broken glass.

I think you are just being nosey. :wink:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I just finished reading DB's third installment of his life story. I have every amount of time for him, That quote is completely apt, in my view.

And as a scientist I of course have curiosity. But I also appreciate the more moral/philosophical issue around my need to know, my right to know and, at the end of the day who gains what by my new knowledge.

I really don't want to know how Tony does it. Any more than I want to know how Ingrid Bergman did that thing she did that made me want to crawl through broken glass.

I think you are just being nosey. :wink:
Not really nosey personally, I am actually quite happy for them to just get on with it. I can accept there is a magical algorithm. I am not in favour though of people stating what should and should not interest other people unless of course as you said earlier the intention is mischievous or malicious or against the law.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
You're not "interested". You are just an extremely nosey individual with little or no life of any value.

A question for you..;

How long will it be before you run away snivelling and demanding that all your previous posts are deleted from NSC as you did before as Mustafa 1 and causing Bozza one of the most difficult periods of his tenure in charge of NSC....a forum which so many of us derive such pleasure from ?

I shall refrain from describing you as an utter scumbag this time.

Of course I'm interested, it's fascinating. Brighton and Hove Albion is the awe of the football world right now, and nobody seems to know exactly how we're doing it... including our own fans.

I don't think it's 'nosey' to want to understand more about one of our favourite things.

In regards to your unnecessary abusive language, I can only suggest that you to try to be a bit more positive throughout your twilight years. It's a light hearted, Albion themed thread that many will find interesting & enjoy. It's not about Mustafa, most people won't even a clue who I am. Just enjoy the thread, or don't open it, for your own good, please, you miserable old fart.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Here is a Brighton algorithm I found on the interweb. Not sure its the same one TB uses though.

Brighton sandwich​

6 tablespoons Jam
250 grams Butter
100 grams Golden caster sugar
250 Grams Plain flour
140 grams Rice flour

Set the oven to 180*c
Grease and line a 20cm square tin
Tip the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat until pale and fluffy.
Add the flours and beat and then bring the mixture together with your hands
Divide the mix in 2
Line the base of the tin with half the mix, pressing it into place with your hands.
Spread the jam almost up to the edges
Top with the remaining shortbread.
Press down and then prick all over with a fork
Bake for 25-30 minutes until it's just turning golden
Leave to cool in the tin, sprinkled with sugar
Cut into 16 pieces.

• Haha
Reactions: cjd

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here