Staines

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Changing it's name to Staines-upon-Thames.

There's going to be uproar, the West Staines Massive will never accept it, but the East Side have sold them out. Blood on the streets.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think Shit Staines is more appropriate.

arkan

Jan 26, 2010
Sittingbourne
Always sounded grotty, but now it sounds wet and grotty.

to be fair to the place, i thought exactly the same, but i went there a couple of months ago (the missus lives near by) and its actually not that bad at all. It was clean, not full to the brim with chavs like crawley or redhill, good facilities (shops/nice cinema) and it had a very good vietnamese food stall in the market.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
to be fair to the place, i thought exactly the same, but i went there a couple of months ago (the missus lives near by) and its actually not that bad at all. It was clean, not full to the brim with chavs like crawley or redhill, good facilities (shops/nice cinema) and it had a very good vietnamese food stall in the market.

I don't have an issue with the place, not sure I've ever been there - just the name !!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Just pure snobbery. They've tried to say that other Thames-side towns are the same, but places like Kingston and Richmond have the 'On Thames' suffix to differentiate them from Kingston upon Hull and Richmond in Yorkshire. There's only one Staines!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I was on a training course in Staines all of last week and noticed that some of the street signs already say "Staines upon Thames". I remember thinking how odd it looked, and was sure it had never been called that in my lifetime.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-16213204

The Surrey town of Staines is to change its name to Staines-upon-Thames after senior councillors confirmed the move at a meeting on Thursday.
Spelthorne borough council's cabinet backed the change after consulting residents and businesses.
The council said it hoped promoting the town's riverside location would help boost its economy.
Of the 35 councillors who attended the meeting 25 voted for the name change, six abstained and four voted against.
Staines Town FC has been among those campaigning against the name change.
There will be a formal ceremony on 20 May to mark the official renaming.
Councillor Colin Davies said: "All those who voted for this excellent measure recognise that by evoking its historic position on the River Thames, Staines-upon-Thames can display its best to the world at large."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports