Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Stage Mannerisms of Musical Artists You Could do Without.

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset
EDIT: No, my mistake. Just checked. Humperdink's a gripper[/QUOTE]

Humperdink's a gripper is probably the sentence I least expected to see on NSC this morning.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Poncing about on stage is nothing but a distraction from your musical performance, unless you're playing something really simple.

The big record companies and managers, the Vacuous corporate tat end of the scale, like Cowell and the like will actually employ people to trin artists in stage presence and everything associated . . . . Things like Hoffs eyes sideways is no accident.

I often get told I look disinterested and sad/grumpy on stage . . . . The fact of the matter is I'm just trying my hardest to play bass reasonably well and not really giving a shit about anything else as its not important at that time. This is why good guitarists often look like eppileptic goldfish.

Mark King of Level 42 is a nice guy, and a very good bass player. But Level 42 didn't do it for me as a band.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Mark King of Level 42 is a nice guy, and a very good bass player. But Level 42 didn't do it for me as a band.

Is that both versions of the band? As quite a fan it always irks me that people don't know their early jazz funk stuff. Sadly casual listeners will always associate them with the World Machine album onwards when they changed direction drastically.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
GG Allin anybody?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Is that both versions of the band? As quite a fan it always irks me that people don't know their early jazz funk stuff. Sadly casual listeners will always associate them with the World Machine album onwards when they changed direction drastically.

I preferred the earlier stuff, but can still here parodies of it in the latter.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Axl Rose's silly sliding from side to side dance. :facepalm:

Not great but much better than Ozzy's plod from one side of the stage to the other whilst clapping. By contrast in the metal world Bruce Dickinson on stage is brilliant and only sometimes spoilt but an unjustified rant about not much at all.

As for the king of Spinal Tapesque guitar moves it has to be Yngwie Malmsteen. His signature move being the guitar spin round the back of his neck and then kicks a pick into the crowd. You're always hoping that one day he'll **** himself with the headstock!

I'm sure you've all watched stage/video performances of bands or solo artists, but rather than being totally focused on their music your attention is diverted away by a certain mannerism of one of the performers which you find slightly jarring and undermines the whole performance. It might be the way they move or the way they hold their musical instrument or something as insignificant as a facial mannerism.

It's easy to tolerate if it's from a musical performer who you don't particularly like because you can just take the piss, but sometimes it's from an artist whose musical artistry you really admire and love, and you have to watch their performance with that nagging and slightly guilty thought jabbing at the back of your mind as you think "I wish he didn't do that thing with his legs" or "why does he hold his microphone like that".

I imagine many a musical performance has been utterly ruined by such thoughts or maybe it's just me...

I thought Susanna Hoffs of The Bangles was pretty damn hot but that coy little sideways glance she used to affect used to really put me off my stroke.

View attachment 124832

View attachment 124833

View attachment 124834

Now 61 and a little older than I _ :down::down::ohmy:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
David Gray's bobble head. I don't know how he doesn't get dizzy.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Blondie, when she does that weird shape with her mouth - she kind of puts her lower jaw to one side. As sexy as it it annoying to watch.

Skip to 54 seconds in and you'll see what I mean. She did it a lot. On 1m 14s she does it a treat... Phwooaar, and Grrrr... :whisky:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here