Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stadium Upgrades

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Appreciate like all clubs lost money during covid. However since than have received £150/200m in transfers including Potter payment, Bigger TV fee for where we finished last season and payment for W/C players. Cant be short of money. Surely some can be invested in improving fan experience including improving travel and looking into safe standing.
I'm always surprised how little fans understand about finance, despite all the available information (including from our own prof of footy finance). Not worth arguing, but suffice to say we don't make a profit. And also that this club is hugely focused on the fans, however hard you, @Hamilton et al try to spin the niggles into an anti fan conspiracy theory.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I'm always surprised how little fans understand about finance, despite all the available information (including from our own prof of footy finance). Not worth arguing, but suffice to say we don't make a profit. And also that this club is hugely focused on the fans, however hard you, @Hamilton et al try to spin the niggles into an anti fan conspiracy theory

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I dont get where you get anti fan conspiracy from. If anything completely the opposite. I was just stating with £150m income and £160m plus in transfer fees we must have money in bank. If we havent your right I dont understand football finances.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I don't think I have sat for a game in the North since the championship, and I'm 2/3rds of the way up in line with the 18 yard box, so I guess the vast majority of the North is now standing :shrug:

Although it is nice to give my knees a rest at halftime on a comfy seat (Ben Roberts aside) :wink:
I thought it might be nice to give my booing a rest at halftime. Then out came Roberts and Mendy...

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Are you referring to the 33 fans who attended a forum on the subject or the survey the club ran back in 2016? I can’t find these results anywhere.

Either way, a lot has changed. Perhaps now is the time to reignite the debate.
You can always move to the north stand if you’re so keen to stand , half of them seem to . There’s no debate , it’s much more comfortable and safer to sit . End of debate .

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I dont get where you get anti fan conspiracy from. If anything completely the opposite. I was just stating with £150m income and £160m plus in transfer fees we must have money in bank. If we havent your right I dont understand football finances.
Yes. Assuming club stop paying PL wages (50k a week average pay to first team squad), Sign no players (we’ve just spent £10m on a 17 year old Argentinian , the £427m owed to Bloom is written off, and stop investing in improvements to the Amex / Lancing etc (amongst other things) .

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Money received in transfer fees all goes into the accounts for the year the transfer is completed, even if the actual cash is paid in instalments.
My very rough estimate of last year's accounts (so far not published) and making a forward estimate of this year's - with lots of assumptions made on finishing position and transfer fees for various players and compo for Potter, his coaches and Winstanley - is that we might come close to breaking even for our 6 years so far in the Premier League. Probably still be a loss of around 10-20m though. So no, we don't have money in the bank unless Tony Bloom either borrows it or puts it there out of his own pocket, and that's before even considering the losses made in the Championship to get there in the first place.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
My very rough estimate of last year's accounts (so far not published) and making a forward estimate of this year's - with lots of assumptions made on finishing position and transfer fees for various players and compo for Potter, his coaches and Winstanley - is that we might come close to breaking even for our 6 years so far in the Premier League. Probably still be a loss of around 10-20m though. So no, we don't have money in the bank unless Tony Bloom either borrows it or puts it there out of his own pocket, and that's before even considering the losses made in the Championship to get there in the first pl
Interesting. All I would say if a clubs has £150m income and £160m plus in transfer income something very wrong with football if still lose money. Goodness knows how much other clubs are losing that have not had our transfer income.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
My very rough estimate of last year's accounts (so far not published) and making a forward estimate of this year's - with lots of assumptions made on finishing position and transfer fees for various players and compo for Potter, his coaches and Winstanley - is that we might come close to breaking even for our 6 years so far in the Premier League. Probably still be a loss of around 10-20m though. So no, we don't have money in the bank unless Tony Bloom either borrows it or puts it there out of his own pocket, and that's before even considering the losses made in the Championship to get there in the first place.

Surely, that should read, "unless BHAFC either borrow it or Tony Bloom puts it there out of his own pocket." We should never lose sight of the fact that it is BHAFC that is borrowing the money no matter how wonderful our benefactor and current custodian of the club is.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Interesting. All I would say if a clubs has £150m income and £160m plus in transfer income something very wrong with football if still lose money. Goodness knows how much other clubs are losing that have not had our transfer income.
We definitely won't be losing money with such levels of transfer income every season. In the current season, where we have about 145m in transfer income (including the Potter compo), my guesstimate is that we make a profit in the region of 80-100m.

This is only based on previous seasons accounts though and contains a load of assumptions and could be way off. My guesstimate for last season (where we had 70m in transfers) is 25-30m profit, and we should find out how close I am with that within the next few weeks.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Is it really that surprising - given you’re across Albions revenue in a year (£150m) and must therefore follow football finances closely - that’s it’s news to you that many Premier League clubs including the Albion post big losses every year or what they might be . (Especially as this info is shared on here regularly)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You can always move to the north stand if you’re so keen to stand , half of them seem to . There’s no debate , it’s much more comfortable and safer to sit . End of debate .
It's bad enough having to put up with the weird supporters who lose their shit if we fail to score every time we get the ball, and whine (like tethered dogs left outside Tesco in the rain) about the lack of getting into them if the opponents have more than 5% possession.

If I'm forced to stand, I'm out.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We definitely won't be losing money with such levels of transfer income every season. In the current season, where we have about 145m in transfer income (including the Potter compo), my guesstimate is that we make a profit in the region of 80-100m.

This is only based on previous seasons accounts though and contains a load of assumptions and could be way off. My guesstimate for last season (where we had 70m in transfers) is 25-30m profit, and we should find out how close I am with that within the next few weeks.
If we have 15 players on an average £50K a week, that £40 million a year. That soon adds up.

And let's not forget amortization. ???

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
The club has never resisted it. If anything, the fans did.

When the club sought opinions on this - way ahead of every other club - the reaction that came back from the fans was basically ambivalence. If we actually want it, we shout for it.

Woah, hang on a minute. If you remember, the club sent out a very badly worded and misleading survey way before safe standing was a thing at other clubs and has used the outcome of the survey as evidence for not having safe standing ever since.

Much like Brexit, I suspect if they were to send out another survey asking for people's opinions the feedback would be very different now

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It's bad enough having to put up with the weird supporters who lose their shit if we fail to score every time we get the ball, and whine (like tethered dogs left outside Tesco in the rain) about the lack of getting into them if the opponents have more than 5% possession.

If I'm forced to stand, I'm out.

You can always move to the east stand if you're keen to avoid fans who are losing their shit , half of them seem to. There's no debate , it's much more comfortable and safer to sit and say nothing . End of debate.

(to borrow a quote :))

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
You actually haven't been able to move into the North Stand for the last two summers. No movement into allowed.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Woah, hang on a minute. If you remember, the club sent out a very badly worded and misleading survey way before safe standing was a thing at other clubs and has used the outcome of the survey as evidence for not having safe standing ever since.
Absolutely this. It was a very swayed survey which either accidentally or deliberately went against safe standing.

I suspect a simple, "would you like to see safe standing in some parts of the AMEX" would have had a much more favourable response.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If we have 15 players on an average £50K a week, that £40 million a year. That soon adds up.

And let's not forget amortization. ???
My estimates account for amortisation. We spent about 60m in 21-22, so the amortisation figure would've gone up by about 15m based on that. We did however see Izquierdo and Ryan's contracts both come to an end, so that should've reduced the increase to about 10m to somewhere between 55-60m for the year (it was 46.4m in 20-21).

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

Much like Brexit, I suspect if they were to send out another survey asking for people's opinions the feedback would be very different now
Based on the posts whenever this comes up, I suspect they'd be inundated with responses from people who sit in areas that wouldn't be affected by the change.
To be fair, I include my own posts in on the matter in that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here