Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] stadium:mk - League One playoffs

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Nah, I can’t get on board with that. I get that the career of your typical, middleweight professional footballer is different and more complex than that of the average man on the street, but there’s still room for basic principle. I’m a very similar age to Lewington and understood enough about the Wimbledon / MK situation at the time to be appalled by it.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on this one. I find the concept of MK Dons fundamentally wrong and I will always struggle to see the views who sympathise with them. It must never be allowed to happen again.

Indeed we'll have to disagree. I dont sympathise with them but I understand him and the dozen or so teammates that went along with relocating.

Yes, there is room for "basic principle" - don't murder, rape or rob someone.

Is there room for a 20 year old footballer, a few years after the ITV crash that made clubs unable to take a shot at some in-and-out youngster from the Championship, to turn down £30-50k a year and choose a very uncertain future, possibly losing his income and his future in football?

15 or so players and multiple staff members made the move from Wimbledon to MK. Its very easy from a distance, up on a high horse, to sit and say "naw, he should have made the moral decision - go into unemployment" but it might not be as easy in reality.

Like he said himself:

“I joined Wimbledon as a seven-year-old kid and when the time came to relocate I didn’t want it to happen, just like everyone else.

“When we first moved they told us the name would remain as Wimbledon but then we had our kit colour changed from blue to white ... and before too long we became known as MK Dons.

“People didn’t like it – and I totally understand that. But I was 19 years old when we moved and not in a position where I could turn down a professional contract.

“I know some Wimbledon fans still don’t like me for being here.

“I just hope people appreciate that I had to go with the flow at that stage of my career.”

As time went on, he probably felt at home in the new club and what can you say about that? When you feel at home you feel at home and people can accept it or dislike it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here