Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stabbings

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I don't find that satisfactory. Going on about them being in the wrong area is just blaming the victims. This isn't a general tourist issue. It's not bad luck that the person stabbed happened to be a football fan.

Foreign football fans have been getting stabbed in Rome for being foreign football fans for some time now. It continues because nobody does anything about it. Fans need to demand more of football authorities to take action.
It's not victim blaming. It's just saying that when we go abroad we won't be as clued up as locals about hotspots and the advice we receive will likely not cover it. Hence it is a problem that any of us could fall victim to. It's no-ones fault but the attackers.

The scum that attacked Jack and his mates may well not be anything to do with football at all. Just people who have clocked on to an opportunity to attack unsuspecting individuals in a place they would be vulnerable.

It's not a football problem. It is a social problem.

I was once victim of a potential mugging in Preston. (I got away). It was after a match. Nothing to do with the game. In Wigan, one of our group was attacked by some NF nuts. Again, nothing to do with the game.

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I remember Smudge saying that they’re are more cheats, liars, thieves etc per square mile in Rome than anywhere else. My dad told me the best whore he had was in Rome at the end of the war.
Yeah I know.
…. I know a lot about Rome…. both sides.
I think he meant Rochester…

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Bit of a long shot in the circumstances, but Jack is (understandably) trying to source a crutch or walking stick to make attending the game a bit easier. Hospital didn't provide one for him.

Any ideas?
Chemist

Been in a similar situation, broke leg in Spain and left hospital with no crutches cos they don't provide them!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It's not victim blaming. It's just saying that when we go abroad we won't be as clued up as locals about hotspots and the advice we receive will likely not cover it. Hence it is a problem that any of us could fall victim to.

The scum that attacked Jack and his mates may well not be anything to do with football at all. Just people who have clocked onto an opportunity to attack unsuspecting individuals in a place they would be vulnerable.

I was once victim of a potential mugging in Preston. (I got away). It was after a match. Nothing to do with the game. In Wigan, one of our group was attacked by some NF nuts. Again, nothing to do with the game.
It's a football problem.

Fans are continually targeted for being fans.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Bit of a long shot in the circumstances, but Jack is (understandably) trying to source a crutch or walking stick to make attending the game a bit easier. Hospital didn't provide one for him.

Any ideas?
Just messaged Jack but pass along

"Ask your travel insurance company if there are any agents in Rome that can help as they may know local facilities that can help you"

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's a football problem.

But that's not the underlying reason as there is no rational attached to it. Crystal Palace are our rivals, but how many would actually attack a Palace fan unless threatened by them ? Very few. So why would most not feel a call to arms ? It's a social issue.

In this Rome case it is more than that. It's opportunism and criminality.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I don't find that satisfactory. Going on about them being in the wrong area is just blaming the victims. This isn't a general tourist issue. It's not bad luck that the person stabbed happened to be a football fan.

Foreign football fans have been getting stabbed in Rome for being foreign football fans for some time now. It continues because nobody does anything about it. Fans need to demand more of football authorities to take action.
But what realistically can be done? Emphasis on the word realistically…(nb: everything you suggest will probably be unrealistic, just saying…)

Gianluca Fidene

Mar 7, 2024
It's a football problem.

Not in that place.
Zone around Stazione Termini is an unsafe place.
I know that there are cheaper hotel but late night is a very dangerous place.
Duca d Aosta bridge is, instead, a dangerous place, for away football fans.
I’m a former AS Roma ultras, now 43 years old, and I can tell you that we have nothing against Brighton. With Manchester United and Liverpool were other type of bad stories.
Sorry again for what happened. Now I m going to my seat in curva sud. And next week I will be in brighton.

Ps for the man looking for a crutch he must fo to a FARMACIA. But they are quiet expensive in that zone.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
It's not victim blaming. It's just saying that when we go abroad we won't be as clued up as locals about hotspots and the advice we receive will likely not cover it. Hence it is a problem that any of us could fall victim to. It's no-ones fault but the attackers.

The scum that attacked Jack and his mates may well not be anything to do with football at all. Just people who have clocked on to an opportunity to attack unsuspecting individuals in a place they would be vulnerable.

Yet..... there is almost no history of buttock stabbings during any of the many rugby 6 nations games that are held in the same stadium.....so to me that says it is football's issue.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Not in that place.
Zone around Stazione Termini is an unsafe place.
I know that there are cheaper hotel but late night is a very dangerous place.
Duca d Aosta bridge is, instead, a dangerous place, for away football fans.
I’m a former AS Roma ultras, now 43 years old, and I can tell you that we have nothing against Brighton. With Manchester United and Liverpool were other type of bad stories.
Sorry again for what happened. Now I m going to my seat in curva sud. And next week I will be in brighton.

Ps for the man looking for a crutch he must fo to a FARMACIA. But they are quiet expensive in that zone.
The trouble is, especially if there are more incidents tonight or tomorrow,... our own home grown fools will take it upon themselves to make their own mark against Roma fans next week.... and so it goes on.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
There always some f***er that has to ruin everything. Best wishes to Jack and anybody else encountering any trouble.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yet..... there is almost no history of buttock stabbings during any of the many rugby 6 nations games that are held in the same stadium.....so to me that says it is football's issue.
This is exactly the point.

Football fans need to stop finding excuses for what is clearly a repeated pattern of football related violence.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
But what realistically can be done? Emphasis on the word realistically…(nb: everything you suggest will probably be unrealistic, just saying…)
Everyone needs to look at themselves don't they?

The police. They must know there is this history of stabbings and know where Brighton fans are congregating. Are they putting police out there, are they making enough effort to secure convictions? Maybe they are. But it's a legitimate question for them to answer

The club. Roma. Are they doing enough to take the worst excesses off the culture of football ultra's?

UEFA. Do they just accept this as something that happens whenever a British team gets drawn in Roma? At what point do we start talking about sporting sanction? I think it's time

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I’ve just checked my EHIC card and it’s about to run out so have submitted the forms to get a new one (which was quite easy in fairness). Hadn’t thought to do it before but this was a good prompt…

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here