Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

St Patrick's Day (night) in Brighton

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
I've been a bit spoilt in the last few years; living in South London i had any number of Irish pubs to spend my money in.:drink:

Just wondering if there are any tips for a good night tomorrow? Live music and/or cheap Guinness would be a good start. I'm worried i'm going to have to settle for O'Neills... But if thats my best bet then so be it.

Thoughts? cheers:thumbsup:

(ps. this is NOT a St Patricks Day v St George's Day debate thread)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Haven't you missed it, I thought they moved the date?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Best bet is the Bugle in St Martin Street. A real I rish pub without the fake "craic". They always have live Irish music on Sundays, serve decent Guinness and it's a lovely rambling pub. Bar staff and locals friendly to strangers too.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Wasn't there something stupid this year like the Catholic church moved it to Saturday due to a fixtures clash with Holy Week - whatever THAT is. Nothing to do with a kickback from major Plastic Paddy franchisee Guinness then? Whatever, it all seems to have had a suitably Oirish result - nobody seems to know whether the great day was yesterday or is tomorrow, Bejesus! :lol:

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
It was yesterday as they do not celebrate on a weekday.

I will have a table of 10 for St Georges day at the Metropole though!!

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
Best bet is the Bugle in St Martin Street. A real I rish pub without the fake "craic". They always have live Irish music on Sundays, serve decent Guinness and it's a lovely rambling pub. Bar staff and locals friendly to strangers too.

Ta. I know the gaff; spotted it the other day and wondered if it had some Irish connections (purely because of the vaguely celtic font on the front of the pub!).

I'll definitely bear it in mind. Its a wee bit of a hike for me though, so if anyone has any other suggestions then keep em coming

:drink:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Ta. I know the gaff; spotted it the other day and wondered if it had some Irish connections (purely because of the vaguely celtic font on the front of the pub!).

I'll definitely bear it in mind. Its a wee bit of a hike for me though, so if anyone has any other suggestions then keep em coming

:drink:

No. 49 and no. 25 bus go straight (well, St Martin's St) past it 24 hours a day and bus ride is 5-10 mins from town centre.

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
So why was it moved to the 15th then?

Its 'Day' as a Holy Feast was moved so as not to clash with Palm Sunday, or something tenuous like that. Its not simply because it is a weekday.

However, 17th March remains St Patrick's Day as far as most people are concerned, including myself. Ok?

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Its 'Day' as a Holy Feast was moved so as not to clash with Palm Sunday, or something tenuous like that. Its not simply because it is a weekday.

However, 17th March remains St Patrick's Day as far as most people are concerned, including myself. Ok?

Very OK.

I do not celebrate it and was told yesterday about it being moved. I was not trying to provoke an arguement.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Why should anybody other than Irish people want to celebrate ' Paddys Day'.

You'll be able to spot the real Irish easily.

They'll be wearing these

176017_992Prd.JPG

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Fiddlers Elbow isn't it, on Boyces Street. Best (and cheapest) pint of Guinness in Brighton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here