Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Spurs have got some front!

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
A club that has consistently spend sh*t loads of cash thinking they will get somewhere and have got absolutely nowhere
because they buy rubbish and are owned by cretins.

Disgraceful club.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I share the feelings of my fellow NSCers on this subject, but as someone working in Dementia healthcare, I have found Spurs to be very generous towards one of the gentlemen I look after, a lifetime Spurs fan. Players past and present have written and sent photos to him, and Poch himself was great in sending a signed letter and merchandise free of charge. All I had to do was ask. Haven't tried contacting Jose M. yet, but I'd be surprised if he didn't respond just as positively. I'm no Spurs apologist, but I just wanted to point out a different side to them. And as we know as Albion fans, the best thing to come out of White Hart Lane was Bobby Smith!
Code:

My experience of them was very different.

We did a walk around all London Club Grounds over a 2 day period to raise money for a couple of Charities supporting children with Cancer.

I have quite decent contacts within a lot of clubs and Spurs donated virtually nothing. They gave us a pendant. Only West Ham gave less. They gave nothing.

Arsenal Chelsea Millwall and QPR gave the most. Brighton gave more than both Spurs and West Ham.

So I was shocked by how little Spurs donated.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Code:

My experience of them was very different.

We did a walk around all London Club Grounds over a 2 day period to raise money for a couple of Charities supporting children with Cancer.

I have quite decent contacts within a lot of clubs and Spurs donated virtually nothing. They gave us a pendant. Only West Ham gave less. They gave nothing.

Arsenal Chelsea Millwall and QPR gave the most. Brighton gave more than both Spurs and West Ham.

So I was shocked by how little Spurs donated.

Interesting anecdote, sad how WHUFC were also poor.

I would’ve guessed that Millwall were generous.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Contract is a contract, yes he MAY choose to donate some of his earnings to charitable causes and probably does but I'd tell them to take a hike!

Why doesn't 'a contract is a contract' apply to players who seemingly everyone is demanding take a pay cut because they can afford it, even when they are donating to charitable causes?

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Horrible club, horrible fans.

Capture.JPG

I would be seriously embarrassed to support them.

Yep... i am

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
When you consider he’s being paid £8.5m for doing nothing it doesn’t seem that crazy.

I can think of a few players in that category.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Interesting anecdote, sad how WHUFC were also poor.

I would’ve guessed that Millwall were generous.

Chelsea even brought out their PL Trophy and let all the walkers individually and collectively get their photo taken with it. One of my mates dropped the lid and you could see them panicking that it might be dented

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Why doesn't 'a contract is a contract' apply to players who seemingly everyone is demanding take a pay cut because they can afford it, even when they are donating to charitable causes?

See later post, as in business those that earn the most take the deepest cut and this industry should be no different

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Chelsea even brought out their PL Trophy and let all the walkers individually and collectively get their photo taken with it. One of my mates dropped the lid and you could see them panicking that it might be dented

This reminds me of a story involving Charlton manager Jimmy Seed after winning the FA Cup in 1947. The team had left the Valley for a reception at Greenwich Town Hall and Jimmy was going to follow in his car. He was putting the cup into his car, balancing it on his thigh while opening the door, when the lid fell off and the knob on top broke off! A local garage took pity on him and welded it back on as a temporary fix until he could get it to a silversmith. Apparently nobody at the reception noticed!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
See later post, as in business those that earn the most take the deepest cut and this industry should be no different

That doesn't follow, though, that just reinforces the double standards.

Poch is getting 8.5m - over £160,000 per week. According to this article: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/every-premier-league-clubs-average-20916779 (first most obvious link on google for weekly wage averages, from November) puts it above the average wage at every football club in the premier league (and more than double the average wage at Tottenham).

For him 'a contract is a contract'.

For players, some of whom, yes, will be comfortably above the average, some below the average, and for many at the lower end of the table even being above their club's average is still less than Pochettino 'should take the deepest cuts because they earn the most'.

Both pochettino and the players are among the highest earners at their clubs, both Pochettino and the players have contracts.

If your argument is 'a contract is a contract' neither should take pay cuts, if your argument is 'those that earn the most should take the deepest cut' then both should take pay cuts.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
That doesn't follow, though, that just reinforces the double standards.

Poch is getting 8.5m - over £160,000 per week. According to this article: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/every-premier-league-clubs-average-20916779 (first most obvious link on google for weekly wage averages, from November) puts it above the average wage at every football club in the premier league (and more than double the average wage at Tottenham).

For him 'a contract is a contract'.

For players, some of whom, yes, will be comfortably above the average, some below the average, and for many at the lower end of the table even being above their club's average is still less than Pochettino 'should take the deepest cuts because they earn the most'.

Both pochettino and the players are among the highest earners at their clubs, both Pochettino and the players have contracts.

If your argument is 'a contract is a contract' neither should take pay cuts, if your argument is 'those that earn the most should take the deepest cut' then both should take pay cuts.

But he's been sacked, it's like agreeing severance pay and then six months later the company that sacked you asks for help, are you really going to feel up to that?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
But he's been sacked, it's like agreeing severance pay and then six months later the company that sacked you asks for help, are you really going to feel up to that?
Exactly. They have sacked him. Just because they are paying the severence figure over time doesn't mean they can wriggle out of some of it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Well, there's two thoughts here.

1) 'He's been sacked' is a different argument to 'a contract is a contract', and if your initial argument was 'oh right sack him, then expect him to help you out? I don't think so' I wouldn't have responded.

2) I'll admit, I probably wouldn't help Spurs out if I were in his position, but let's also recognise it's still a massive amount of money given how this season he was not getting the results he had in the past, on top of the incredible wage he was given while he still worked there, that could impact on lower earners being furloughed or forced to miss out on their money. My understanding is that he is only still receiving the money because he hasn't taken another job - the moment he gets a new job they're no longer obliged to pay him. Watford, Arsenal, Everton and West Ham have all appointed new managers since Mourinho took over at Spurs, so that's four vacancies he could have walked into in the premier league alone. Any one of those clubs would have taken him. So there is also an element of him choosing to keep taking Spurs' money when other job opportunities have been available (again, I don't know if I would in his position, but I can also understand Spurs asking).

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Although the people behind Spurs aren't short of a few quid, I think Spurs are the "top 6 club" least able to withstand the financial pressures that the virus will bring. Things were always going to be a bit tight for them for a few years after spending £1bn on a stadium. The loss of matchday income is more of a blow for them then other teams as they've mortgaged themselves to the hilt.

Levy is not like a TB type figure who will personally gift a decent proportion of his wealth out of the good of his heart.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here