Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sporting Teams/Clubs

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
As it's a new year, I'm in my mid-20's and living an amazingly sedentary lifestyle I've decided turn to you, glorious NSC (well, it sometimes is), with a question.

Are there people out there who belong to any clubs/teams that are welcoming new members/players?

To clarify, I'm not only talking about football (mostly as I consider myself to be terrible) but sports like badminton, handball, cricket (yes, out of season, just an example), tennis etc. as well.

You might be thinking 'why is he asking on here? Clearly I must direct him to google and allow him to find his own enlightenment' but alas, that avenue has been explored, e-mails have been sent and all of them (barring brighton handball club who, at my second attempt, told me I was too late...) have been studiously ignored. I make no claims to any real sporting ability but I very much want to get out there and find something I enjoy...

All that being said, is there a fellow NSC'er out there that can help (remember, search engines don't count)?

(Also, should anyone else be having similar issues, say so, you might get assistance too)

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I play for Staplefield Cricket Club and we are always on the look out for new blood.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I play for Chailey Cricket Club. We're a fun side to play for and very laid back (hence the reason I started playing for them!).

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Thank you for the replies guys, I shall have a look into each one (like location for the two cricket clubs, neither place rings a bell in my brighton-centric mind) and go from there :)

I'm a little surprised at the lack of other posts, for some reason I had assumed that NSC would be full of budding sportsme...people. Ilusion shattered there.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I think you will find that most people on here are big fat hairy men with spots who play world of Warcraft and browse NSC.....while living in their mothers basement

Speaking from your personal situation there? ;)

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
It's probably the time of year to be honest. I play football, cricket and looking to get back into American Football, but being half way through the football season it's probably a bit late to get involved in that, and a bit too early to be thinking about cricket.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Where do you play American Football, would love to get involved in that? I livei n Crawley now if that helps?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
It's probably the time of year to be honest. I play football, cricket and looking to get back into American Football, but being half way through the football season it's probably a bit late to get involved in that, and a bit too early to be thinking about cricket.

I think you're right there, I was coaching a youth team at the start of the season and didn't even think of trying to play for someone's z-team as well. I'll have to pursue it later in the year I suspect.

Still, it never hurts to show early interest I guess, especially with cricket as I've not played since college and at this point doubt I could even hold a bat... *sigh*

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

Pre-season starts about now, it's a summer sport at senior level over here.

That said, Sussex Thunder just got themselves promoted to the top division so you'd want to be pretty good or at least a good athlete to fit in there these days. That's actually my problem - wanna get back playing but don't fancy Div 1/Prem, been there done it and I'm not good enough! But the nearest Div 2 team is Maidstone.

For anyone interested who has played or likes a bit of football/rugby/American football/gaelic, there is an Aussie Rules team based in Brighton, we will be starting pre-season training soon and all welcome! PM or post here for details!

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
For anyone interested who has played or likes a bit of football/rugby/American football/gaelic, there is an Aussie Rules team based in Brighton, we will be starting pre-season training soon and all welcome! PM or post here for details!

Go on, post some details, I suspect I lack the physical presence to be any good (from what little I know of it) but I'm sure someone will find it useful!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here