Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

spiders

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I love them. In the UK they're harmless wonderful things. Happily clearing up the flies and stuff humans don't like.
I have loads of them in my house, and they're welcome.

This. Bring a wasp anywhere near me and its a different story though - I have to get the wife to deal with those :eek:

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
Seen three huge ones in our house in last few days. Used to be a lot more weirded out by them when I was younger but not so bad now. Large ones are still a bit to much for me.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I found an igenious way of disposal of those outoor real fat arse spiders that we get at this time of the year.

You need a cigarette lighter and a can of WD40 fitted with the little red tube for exact squirting. Just line up red tube with spider from about a foot away and press can and light lighter at exit of red tube simultaneously.

Probably breaking loads of H&S laws but works a treat.

porkdog

May 9, 2008
by the sea
Since my first post I've killed 8 of these big brown bastards. Now I don't normally kill spiders but these were doing my head in. Anyone still have them about?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I had to eject one the nasty House Spiders, referenced in that Grauniad article, from my gf's place tonight, didn't enjoy dealing with it at all. Might invest in some kind of aerosol that can stun them or freeze them before despatch without making too much of a mess.

PriapismBoy

Apr 18, 2011
Durrington
Middle of the night I got up to go for a slash, opened bathroom door with eyes half shut and couldn't be bothered to turn the light on. I walked straight into a spiders web so I freaked out and turned the light on in a panic, I couldn't find the spider but went in the bathroom a min ago and saw the biggest spider I have ever seen. Bloody massive. Think I just shat myself

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Coincidentally, I read an article on this very subject yesterday. Scientists reckon it's going to be a bumper season for spiders, as the summer we've just had has been nigh on perfect for them in terms of weather (and kind to flies, which they eat). Now, as has been said, is the time they all move inside, as it gets colder & they look for mates.

Our largest domestic spider- the Tenegaria Parietina, of course- can grow up to 6" across, and will give you a little bite quite happily. But at least it won't kill you eh?

I usually pluck up the courage to pick them up by one leg & lob them out the window. They don't massively bother me. It's those BASTARD crane-flies I can't stand, annoying, pointless, buzzing, flapping little shits. They'll no doubt be around in their billions soon.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Tenegaria Parientina. Cor, what a beauty!

parietina-male2006.jpg

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Oh, by the way: to whoever it was who said they weren't bothered by a spider that never seemed to move from it's spot on the ceiling...

...a few years ago, I thought the same about a large spider that lived on my bedroom ceiling. Every time it came in, it'd be there in the corner of the room. Never, ever saw it move. I was happy enough with that, not being a big fan of the critters, but so long as it stayed there, no worries.

Then on one occasion I woke up in the middle of the night for some reason. Still lying in bed, I reached out to turn the bedside light on....to find the said spider dangling down from the ceiling directly above my eyes, hanging about 6" from my face :ohmy:

I had to slide myself out of bed sideways so as not to come into contact with the cunning bugger, before coming up with a swift plan to extricate it from my room. No way was it living in the corner after THAT. I don't mind admitting I was momentarily TERRIFIED :lol:

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
When I was (a lot) younger I lived in a house that seemed to be infested with spiders. The bedroom where I slept faced the back garden, which I suppose is why it had the highest concentration of them. Anyway, one night I woke up and felt on crawling ON MY FACE, on my cheek about an inch from my mouth. I've never much cared for them since.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Tremendous thread. I don't mind spiders at all to be honest, but unfortunately my wife and daughter are utterly feeble in their presence. I have disposed of many a massive house spider, I'm fairly sure the big ones live in older houses and ours was built in 1885.

Mind you, I did see a tarantula once, in the wild - in a Mexican rainforest. It really was a thing of beauty.

Brave girl. If it helps, I saw a snake in Haywards Heath 2 weeks ago. NOW THAT IS WEIRD. Looked it up, and I believe it was a grass snake.
My best mate's came across a grass snake in their veggy patch a month ago. I didn't realise how long grass snakes grow. This was was about 5 feet in length, and they apparently grow longer!

Talking of snakes, i have never seen an adder before.
I've seen one twice. Once in Bracknell forest about 2 years ago, the other was on our patio in Newick when I ws about 9 years old. :ohmy:

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
This irrational fear of spiders is perpetuated by parents and friends as you grow up so you all end up hating spiders. I managed to cure my missus's fear of spiders by getting her to handle very small tiny spiders and gradually incresing the size over many weeks, she rarely bats an eyelid these days when she spots one. Similarly my two young sons love spiders and we even adopt the ones in the garden and feed them up on fat juicy caterpillars and bugs to see how big we can get them to grow, got some rather large garden spiders and a couple of beautiful false widows in the back garden now! They are no danger whatsoever and the boys love watching them zip out and attack their prey! Some of the ones pictured on here are just your common house spiders or 'Tedgies' as we call them, they are completely harmless and won't bite you and even if they tried their fangs are not strong enough to break the skin. They are quick buggers though hence why folk don't like them, mind you if you chase them for a minute or so with your finger they quickly run out of puff and then just sit there so you can easily scoop them up and chuck outdoors. Its all about how you grew up I suppose, my Dad loved spiders so I guess I inherited his lack of fear over spiders.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here