Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Special striker?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Special player= proven goalscorer at this level or above, not necessarily prem. Would be my guess.

Big difference from Dick Knight listing 20 strikers that he bid for but didn't get.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
I've heard a few people say that it's a done deal, yes. But I don't believe anything until it's on the official site now. Pretty much all of our signings have come out of nowhere with no rumours at all beforehand.

Do you reckon Austin would start for you? Personally I really rate Barnard, and hes proven himself over couple of seasons at this sort of level. Seem similar sort of players too.

saint_clark

Jan 1, 2011
Do you reckon Austin would start for you? Personally I really rate Barnard, and hes proven himself over couple of seasons at this sort of level. Seem similar sort of players too.

That could be a stumbling block if the rumours are even true - too much competition for his liking, if he fails to score for a couple of games he'll be on the bench. Barnard isn't getting in the side anyway at the mo, Guly has scored 2 and set up 2 in the last 2 games.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
That could be a stumbling block if the rumours are even true - too much competition for his liking, if he fails to score for a couple of games he'll be on the bench. Barnard isn't getting in the side anyway at the mo, Guly has scored 2 and set up 2 in the last 2 games.

We'll take Barnard. Not that you'd ever sell to us, but i'd have him here in a shot.

saint_clark

Jan 1, 2011
We'll take Barnard. Not that you'd ever sell to us, but i'd have him here in a shot.

He's also just come back from a hernia op, so he might be back in place of Guly once properly fit. He was an absolute bargain - £100k and Matt Paterson in exchange. Couldn't believe it.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
He's also just come back from a hernia op, so he might be back in place of Guly once properly fit. He was an absolute bargain - £100k and Matt Paterson in exchange. Couldn't believe it.

He was out of contract a few months later though at Southend if i remember correctly? Also was that at the same time they were in financial trouble with the threat of a points deduction?

Either way, as you say it was a great buy. I'm sure we matched your bid, but couldnt compete on wages.

saint_clark

Jan 1, 2011
He was out of contract a few months later though at Southend if i remember correctly? Also was that at the same time they were in financial trouble with the threat of a points deduction?

Either way, as you say it was a great buy. I'm sure we matched your bid, but couldnt compete on wages.

Really? I know Leeds were in for him but that's the first I heard of you being involved.

shabba

Dec 22, 2004
Bookham
Bollocks

This thread makes me laugh everytime, the Michael Owen one in particular. Might be a young premiership striker who needs games or champsionship striker not getting a game.

A big name in this league is Rowan Vine, don't fancy him myselft but that is the sort of player, forget all the others.

Get real apart from anything else big name premiership strikers have huge ego's and would not even consider coming here.

Good fun for a laugh this thread, even though we have done it may times now!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
This thread makes me laugh everytime, the Michael Owen one in particular. Might be a young premiership striker who needs games or champsionship striker not getting a game.

A big name in this league is Rowan Vine, don't fancy him myselft but that is the sort of player, forget all the others.

Get real apart from anything else big name premiership strikers have huge ego's and would not even consider coming here.

Good fun for a laugh this thread, even though we have done it may times now!

I suspect the truth is as such. We have made enquiries about a big name player with the finance to back it up for the rest of the season. Discussions have taken place, but it's unlikely it going to happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here