Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spanish Dave - What exactly does he do?!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hey Mr Stat, do you think there is anything in the hypothesis that we struggle with home midweek games for some reason. I believe that the following results all midweek at home, cost us automatic promotion:

Cardiff
Ipswich
Leeds
Millwall
Blackburn
Charlton
Leicester

I can't think we played well in any of these games, win any two of these and we're up. Not only the result but I remember most of these games being lamentable from ourselves. Are we tired in the evening?
Every team can look back at games x y and z that cost them promotion/safety, that's the nature of this division, this season.

We have had periods of time, this season, where we just haven't played any kind of attacking football.
It didn't matter when in the week it was, what matters is Gus became to reliant on not losing, than winning.
It's no surprise we got into the play-offs from the moment Gus said 'we now have to risk losing to win more'.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Farewell Spanish Dave What-Does-He-Do thread - thanks for the memories. You put in a great shift, with some memorable bounces....

Dec 19, 2011
Hove
Re: Spanish Dave - what exactly does he do?!

Whatever it is, he'll be doing it for someone else. :(

Regardless of what he did, he was one of my favourite players last season for non-footballing reasons alone.

Like Bruno, he clearly has alot of affection for the fans and loved the City,and unlike some of his colleagues, appeared to be enjoying himself last season.

RIP Spanish Dave

Akerr99

Sep 25, 2010
Wantage
Spanish Dave - what exactly does he do?!

Reading this very late, but have to comment on Calderon v Zaha. I like Calderon as a person but he is not a great right back. In the first leg, Bridge handled Zaha very well so Holloway put Zaha on Calderon in the second half and it almost worked. Calderon lacks pace, is often out of position and is beaten too easily by a winger attacking the right hand edge of the box. Admittedly, he has learned not to lunge in and give away penalties or free kicks (remember December 2010 game v Charlton at the Withdean ?). But for me, the most telling comment was from my boss (a United fan) whom I took to watch the away game at Peterborough in April - "good team but your right back is rubbish"

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Spanish Dave - what exactly does he do?!

Reading this very late, but have to comment on Calderon v Zaha. I like Calderon as a person but he is not a great right back. In the first leg, Bridge handled Zaha very well so Holloway put Zaha on Calderon in the second half and it almost worked. Calderon lacks pace, is often out of position and is beaten too easily by a winger attacking the right hand edge of the box. Admittedly, he has learned not to lunge in and give away penalties or free kicks (remember December 2010 game v Charlton at the Withdean ?). But for me, the most telling comment was from my boss (a United fan) whom I took to watch the away game at Peterborough in April - "good team but your right back is rubbish"

I've just read this. Tell your boss he is a cock ;-)

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
He will be assisting the f**k out of Ulloa next season, free kick from Spanish Dave, bang,Ulloa 1-0, this will happen many times next season.

Unbelieve.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
What does he do? He looks great in this season's home shirt.
david-l229-951908_478x359.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here