Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Southgate

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It is certainly becoming harder to defend Southgate when he ignores Lewis Dunk and we ship 4 goals at home to Hungary, our worst home defeat in decades. He is a better CB than Guehi, Tomori, Coady and Mings.

Furthermore, this 'playing a right back at left back' is bollocks, it's not working.

And he's not getting the most out of players like Grealish or Foden, and he gives too much gametime to the likes of Saka (ordinary) and Sterling (on the wane).

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It is certainly becoming harder to defend Southgate when he ignores Lewis Dunk and we ship 4 goals at home to Hungary, our worst home defeat in decades. He is a better CB than Guehi, Tomori, Coady and Mings.

Furthermore, this 'playing a right back at left back' is bollocks, it's not working.

And he's not getting the most out of players like Grealish or Foden, and he gives too much gametime to the likes of Saka (ordinary) and Sterling (on the wane).

Re. Saka. A goal or assist every other game at the age of 20 is hardly ordinary. Especially, in an inconsistent team. Comparable numbers to Foden, who is surrounded by better players in a well-oiled machine.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

If Southgate ever picks Guehi again after yesterday's fiasco it proves that either 1. he learns nothing or 2. he has an agenda.

Edit: Dunk was binned after a few training sessions and a decent performance in a 3-0 win so, if Guehi ever plays again the answer is obviously 2.

Last edited:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

I agree with the left back thing but based on form for club and country Saka is miles above Grealish.
And Tomori has just been one of the key players for the Serie A champions whereas Dunk shouldn't be in our team anymore according to many of our fans

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When Southgate is leaves/sacked/resigns and the FA appoint Dyche.

What will be fracking hilarious will be the amount of posters, on here, complaining about not getting GPott.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Coady plays in a 3 at Wolves and is good, Southgate plays him in a 2

Dier should have been in the squad after the season he had

Not calling up a LB was just weird, Even if you call up someone he doesn't think is completely ready to help with the balance of the side for the practice.

He is a coward and doesn't want to deal with dropping one of the RBs so calls them all up

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
If Southgate ever picks Guehi again after yesterday's fiasco it proves that either 1. he learns nothing or 2. he has an agenda.

Edit: Dunk was binned after a few training sessions and a decent performance in a 3-0 win so, if Guehi ever plays again the answer is obviously 2.

Guehi is fine, him and Tomori are good, they proved it at club level

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I agree with the left back thing but based on form for club and country Saka is miles above Grealish.
And Tomori has just been one of the key players for the Serie A champions whereas Dunk shouldn't be in our team anymore according to many of our fans

How on earth have you arrived at that?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Whilst that is mildly amusing, Sir Chris did at least know how to defend well.

In the 25 games Southgate has managed England since the beginning of 2021, England have conceded 10, four of which were in the last match and this includes a run of 9 games without conceding up to the Euros Semi-Final. Up until this last match, our defending has been largely exceptional in terms of goals conceded, especially when you take into account that the defence is mainly made up of Maguire, Stones, Mings and Coady.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
In the 25 games Southgate has managed England since the beginning of 2021, England have conceded 10, four of which were in the last match and this includes a run of 9 games without conceding up to the Euros Semi-Final. Up until this last match, our defending has been largely exceptional in terms of goals conceded, especially when you take into account that the defence is mainly made up of Maguire, Stones, Mings and Coady.

Good point, and a good record with Mings and Maguire in the team, although most of the opposition haven't been any better than a middle aged NSC/REMF team.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Good point, and a good record with Mings and Maguire in the team, although most of the opposition haven't been any better than a middle aged NSC/REMF team.

I am still #teamsouthgate

No change of manager required

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
When Southgate is leaves/sacked/resigns and the FA appoint Dyche.

What will be fracking hilarious will be the amount of posters, on here, complaining about not getting GPott.

When Potter leaves I'd be quite happy with him leaving for the England job. That's because I don't think it'll happen for years (he's nowhere near ready nor respected enough by top players) so if he left us for that job it would mean many more years of him at the Albion. And I don't get all this "we must keep him here, I'm not interested in England". I love the Albion, they are my main love outside women, but there is nothing better than watching an England game with friends who all support England rather than watching Albion games with only friends who support BHA. It's a different atmosphere and one to be savoured

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
How many other managers have had a neighbourhood of a town where he was brought up named after him?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

He plays 6 defenders, including Rice and Phillips. In the match he only plays 5 they lose 4-0 at home.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He plays 6 defenders, including Rice and Phillips. In the match he only plays 5 they lose 4-0 at home.

And he brings on an out of form defender at 3-0 down, which is just plain weird :shrug:

Carry on Gareth, I hope we’ll have a great World Cup (I am being serious, the better he does the less chance of our manager being approached) :thumbsup:

Does anyone else scratch their head as to why Phillips is so highly rated?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here