Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Southgate Out.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He has inherited the best team since Robsons reign.

The team he "inherited" after Iceland in 2016 was:

Hart, Walker Cahill, Smalling, Rose, Alli, Dier, Rooney, Sturridge, Kane, Sterling.

His 1st XI now seems to be Pickford, TAA, Chilwell, Maguire, Gomez, Dier, Henderson, Sancho, Sterling, Kane, Rashford.

Neither line-up compares with Seaman, G Neville, A. Cole, Campbell, Terry / King / Ferdinand, J Cole / Hargreaves, Gerrard / Lampard, Scholes, Beckham, Owen / Heskey, Shearer squad Sven had c. 2002-2006. How many of today's side would get into Sven's team?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I see England are playing New Zealand in November. Gotta get them scoring somehow.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To be honest, it’s not the worst thing we could do.

At international level you don’t get time to coach players, you need to be a figurehead who can walk into the dressing room and command respect of the players.

If anyone doesn’t buy this concept, look no further then Germany and Klinsmann. Shearer put himself forward for the England job and didn’t even get an interview.

The FA just love a nice predictable safe PR man appointment. Step forward Southgate. Club record? Relegated Middlesbrough. Harsh but true.

I don’t buy this concept. And look no further than Germany who didn’t win anything with Klinsmann but were world champions under Jogi Löw who not only had an unremarkable playing career was Klinsman’s assistant when he was appointed.

As I have suggested elsewhere, there’s a lot more wrong with the England set up than just the manager.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Football is a results driven business and on that alone Southgate has failed simple analysis shows this,yes injuries have not helped but simply being so defensive only allows the opposition on as is so often seen. Jack/G has to be a first start box to box and can spread it out wide,but don't expect Southgate to drop his TWO holding midfield players AT THE RISK OF AN EXPENSIVE PLAYER.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yes Southgate out. Let's get back to winning tournaments!

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I think the idiots who select the England managers want England to be recognised with a style like how Brazil are known for their flair and the Germans for their directness, the Spanish for their technical passing etc. It looks like they want England recognised for a defensive style which makes the opposition unable to play with freedom.

The problem with this style is we clearly can't stand ir as fans and we produce much better footballers for this style to be needed. It's like asking Ronaldo to hold it up whenever he gets the ball

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think the idiots who select the England managers want England to be recognised with a style like how Brazil are known for their flair and the Germans for their directness, the Spanish for their technical passing etc. It looks like they want England recognised for a defensive style which makes the opposition unable to play with freedom.

The problem with this style is we clearly can't stand ir as fans and we produce much better footballers for this style to be needed. It's like asking Ronaldo to hold it up whenever he gets the ball

Italy already occupy that space. Find your own niche.

How about a high-paced and rough 4-4-2 with a bunch of borderline alcoholics, all toothless ugly and balding or with the typical British "failed bowl cut"? Thats how its supposed to be. Bring back Foden and Greenwood.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Italy already occupy that space. Find your own niche.

I disagree. Italy play with much more openness from the back usually keeping everything on the floor. They've had defenders who are as technically skilled as Dutch attackers. England defend like rugby players and attack like kids in the deep end of a swimming pool without their armbands.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
The Nation’s League is just a bunch of dressed-up friendlies though. Few nations give a shit about it.

If you thing those two matches against Spain were played like friendlies then you know nothing about football. That 3-2 win in Spain was one of the most intense games I have seen in years and the reaction of the Spanish players at the final whistle said it all.

Topping a group containing Croatia and Spain was an impressive achievement.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Dissagre with that we had an extremely lucky draw despite not finishing top of our group in the WC. He has inherited the best team since Robsons reign.

We play more games now than in any year in the history of the England football team. We also recently played games where we could rack up loads of Rooney goals vs Andorra etc. At least the Nations League will stop that now.

It wasn’t an opinion it is a fact. Only Sir Alf Ramsey has done better than Southgate though Bobby Robson did equally well but no better, thats not open for debate it’s in the history books. Both achieved fourth place in the World Cup and actually Southgate won four games in the tournament to to Robsons three) Also if you think this is the best tram since Robson you are taking rubbish to prove your agenda. The teams of 2002, 2004 and 2006 were miles ahead in terms of talent available. Also he inherited a team knocked out by Iceland so again you are talking rubbish.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Yes, we'll be singing about that third place in the Nations League for years to come. How we battled to a goalless draw against mighty Switzerland then triumphed on penalties, the ultimate test of quality. And we don't play good football. Not as I understand it, anyway.

And how did we get to the finals? Oh yes that right we finished top of a group including Spain and World Cup finalists Croatia. I noticed that point was missing from you reply?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Gareth is the quintessential England manager , does what he's told , lets somebody at the FA select the squad then on matchday rings his fashion consultant and asks what jumper will look best , then meekly suggests the team to the FA who get a bit annoyed at his temerity then give him the real starting 11 .

NEXT yes man , please waiter .

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Southgate is fine

World cup semi
Nations league semi
Euro Qulification

The only issue i have with him is the flogging of certain players.

these were pointless games, i watched a fair bit of the internationals and they were all equally as bad.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you thing those two matches against Spain were played like friendlies then you know nothing about football. That 3-2 win in Spain was one of the most intense games I have seen in years and the reaction of the Spanish players at the final whistle said it all.

Topping a group containing Croatia and Spain was an impressive achievement.

Maybe it was “intense”....it was still a pretty meaningless dressed up friendly game in my opinion. Pissing your pants over topping a group in the Nation’s League is a sure fire sign of how standards and expectations have dropped.

The England set up needs a serious overhaul, with a clear long term strategy in place.... like France, Germany and Spain have all implemented. I have been saying this for over a decade now. Until then it will continue to muddle along like it has done for most of my life time.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I see England are playing New Zealand in November. Gotta get them scoring somehow.

England 0: 1 New Zealand Wood, C 90+1 (pen)

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
It wasn’t an opinion it is a fact. Only Sir Alf Ramsey has done better than Southgate though Bobby Robson did equally well but no better, thats not open for debate it’s in the history books. Both achieved fourth place in the World Cup and actually Southgate won four games in the tournament to to Robsons three) Also if you think this is the best tram since Robson you are taking rubbish to prove your agenda. The teams of 2002, 2004 and 2006 were miles ahead in terms of talent available. Also he inherited a team knocked out by Iceland so again you are talking rubbish.

I didnt say it was an opinion so why so defensive. It is a shit stat that is meaningless. There are more games in tournaments vs easier to beat teams. It is easier to qualify for tournaments and there are more teams in tournaments. We lost whenever we played a decent team. 2002, 2004 and 2006 were an overhyped generation who couldnt play together and finished where they deserved to each time. He couldnt beat iceland either. Iceland is deservedly where they are ranking wise. Robson lost one game in that tournament Southgate lost 3.

Only one spouting rubbish here is you.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I didnt say it was an opinion so why so defensive. It is a shit stat that is meaningless. There are more games in tournaments vs easier to beat teams. It is easier to qualify for tournaments and there are more teams in tournaments. We lost whenever we played a decent team. 2002, 2004 and 2006 were an overhyped generation who couldnt play together and finished where they deserved to each time. He couldnt beat iceland either. Iceland is deservedly where they are ranking wise. Robson lost one game in that tournament Southgate lost 3.

Only one spouting rubbish here is you.

I think the word you are looking for is ‘bollocks’. Apparently Southgate is in the league as a Sir Alf!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

So Southgate is in the same league as Sir Alf and Bobby Robson ... and you accuse someone of talking rubbish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
This is gonna blow up as soon as we flop in the Euros. Save everyone the misery get the donkey out now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here