Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Southern trains rant

No, its the day you answer an allegation with non-facts in the most self-congratulatory way possible again. But then you always were an insufferable bore as most of NSC can testify.

Besides, he didn't give me an eloquent account of anything. In one post he claimed all his staff had covid and in the next he admitted they're swinging the lead.

Which is it?

Happy with what I've already said. And perfectly happy for you to have the last word, as we know what little self-esteem you have depends on it

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
They could see you were trouble Simmo

To be fair I did put six on their backs by the time I got off at Moulsecoomb School.
What a school by the way, taught me how to deal with dickheads in the late sixties early seventies.
One day I might tell you the story of how the caretaker ended up on his back as well.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
To be fair I did put six on their backs by the time I got off at Moulsecoomb School.
What a school by the way taught me how to deal with dickheads in the late sixties early seventies.
One day I might tell you the story of how the caretaker ended up on his back as well.

That's my boy !!!

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Do you know how many serviceable 4 car units I had spare today where I work? None, they were all out in service. Unless Uncle Tony wants to pony up for a fleet of trains that we can only use on match days, somewhere for them to be berthed and someone to maintain them its unlikely to get any better, the railway isn't run for the 19 match days a year we're at home, it's designed to get as many people as possible to and from London over two 3 hour periods a day.

I think people can understand cancellations due to train crew sickness in this pandemic, but are a little puzzled why we are having shorter trains this season. I think pretty much every Falmer service on matchdays in previous seasons was either a 5 car 377, a 6 car 313, or an 8 car 377. This season we seem to have a lot more 4 car trains. I don't think this is imagined, but I am happy to be corrected. I am sure you can understand the general frustration especially given that many might feel uneasy being in cramped trains.

I believe Southern have loaned some Gatwick Express units to GWR to cover for the problems with cracks in the Hitachi 800s, so perhaps it's a knock on effect of that. Or maybe it's just a shortage of drivers to get the rolling stock into place to strengthen the East Coastway services to their usual length on matchdays. Or a shortage of maintenance personnel causing a servicing backlog. But I am speculating. Maybe you have some insight here? Why do there seem to be fewer units in service?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I can’t say if this was the case yesterday, but believe new timetable starting tomorrow reduces the number of shuttle services

Certainly the two trains I cold have got had the Hove-Brighton leg cancelled so I got on a direct service to Brighton.

Quite possibly caused by staff shortages and if so fair enough but at some stage don't Southern need to start publicly asking for people not travel?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Certainly the two trains I cold have got had the Hove-Brighton leg cancelled so I got on a direct service to Brighton.

Quite possibly caused by staff shortages and if so fair enough but at some stage don't Southern need to start publicly asking for people not travel?

If Southern do that and we've had Bennet's Field closed by the landowner and the Uni car parks closed because of open days, how do you suggest people get to the ground? Unicycle?

I totally get that this season is going to be harder work than normal thanks to the pandemic but, for me, if people are happy to take the benefits and plaudits that come with being a key worker, then they should step up and be one instead of being "pinged" every time they've had a night out.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Someone in my family, who works in the public sector, has had three fortnights off since March 2020 suffering with non-Long Covid. I’m not joking. In reality, not once. No questions asked by colleagues/managers. Very relaxed attitude by all concerned.

Where I work, anyone mentioning Covid in their mitigation effort gets mitigated ('yes, you may have an extension deadling for your coursework, and you exam deferred to the next window'). Checks not required.

That said some mitigation committees (like the one I sit on) are getting a bit more bastardly now.

And, let's be honest, I have been living a charmed life due to Covid. 'working' from home.

Mind you, with the trains ****ed, and everything hopeless, what is the point going in to London just so someone can say I did?

My point? It is all random and haphazard. Try to not take the piss, but don't put yourself needlessly at risk, would be my ill considered advice.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Do you know how many serviceable 4 car units I had spare today where I work? None, they were all out in service. Unless Uncle Tony wants to pony up for a fleet of trains that we can only use on match day.....

Thanks for the local knowledge.

But.

The train before mine was cancelled. So there's an empty set.

This was at 10.50am so nothing to do with Tony Bloom or even matchday.

Southern rail is an embarrassing joke.

On a recent holiday tour of Scotland, 100% by rail, the only train that was cancelled, of the nine we took, was the very first one, from Lancing.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
If Southern do that and we've had Bennet's Field closed by the landowner and the Uni car parks closed because of open days, how do you suggest people get to the ground? Unicycle?

I totally get that this season is going to be harder work than normal thanks to the pandemic but, for me, if people are happy to take the benefits and plaudits that come with being a key worker, then they should step up and be one instead of being "pinged" every time they've had a night out.

I said ask people, not mandate it. If you can't run a full service then give people the information and let them choose.

I am staying way out of your diatribe about Southern Rail employees.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Southern are shit. They have always been shit. They will always be shit. They haven't improved anything since the Connex days in operations management. There is no accountability, no responsibility or care taken in the service they provide, and are the poster child for everything wrong with the rail franchise system.

The rail strikes happened on their watch. They are consistently the worst performing franchise, with the lowest levels of customer satisfaction.

I would honestly, truly rather have Virgin Rail than Southern. I can't think of any one entity, business, place or person I hate more than Southern Rail.

Complete ******** to a man.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I can't think of any one entity, business, place or person I hate more than Southern.

Impressive rant, especially so early.

But I do feel it invites NSC's nominations for entities, places, businesses or people that are hated more than Southern Rail.

Such a list deserves it's own thread really. Could run for years.

el punal

I am one who is usually critical of Southern and their underperforming service. I am pleased to say that for two Saturdays running the service to/from Southampton and Brighton has been as it should - on time, no delays, and able to get a seat. We are, however, entering the season of ‘this train will terminate at Barnham’ for whatever reason dear old Southern’s repertoire can come up with.

This is all a bit Albion-esque in comparison. Everything is hunky dory but you somehow know that it’ll turn to rat shit at any given moment.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Only 2x 4 coach trains an hour on the west coastway ? Combined with delays because of problems on the main line - absolute shambles

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here