Southern railway train service tonight

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Whoever made the decision to move a Saturday game to a Friday because of the Marathon on SUNDAY needs to take some of the blame.

I popped into town this morning. Saw quite a few police going around, including four on bikes doing what looked like a check of the route. Think the police are a bit busier today than one might think.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
This thread fills me with fear for Tuesday night. I normally manage to blag a WFH when we are playing at home midweek, but can't Tuesday so will be coming from London.

Even worse for me, have to go to Runcorn of all places for the day to see a supplier.

Relying on Virgin Trains and Southern Railway to be on time............

Jul 7, 2003
For southern to not find cover for the staff last was unforgivable given that they knew in advance there was a well attended game on. They should be made to answer for it.

Not defending Southern in the slightest here but they are also supposed to provide a service for a large number of commuters who don't care about a football match so with a full rush hour service to provide I doubt they have the wherewithal let alone staff to ensure that they have extra crew hanging around in Brighton just in case someone doesn't turn up.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not defending Southern in the slightest here but they are also supposed to provide a service for a large number of commuters who don't care about a football match so with a full rush hour service to provide I doubt they have the wherewithal let alone staff to ensure that they have extra crew hanging around in Brighton just in case someone doesn't turn up.

Nail on head, SR are committed to providing a daily weekday service so night games in the week cannot have additional trains just for the football

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Unless people complain, they will do nothing about it.

It's dangerous (like Hillsbrough). Railway stations are known to be even less safe than football stadia approaches.

Needs 8 o'clock kick-offs as people cannot leave work and get to the matches on time, all because of Southern Railway.

So did it or did it not take you six hours round trip from Shoreham? What trains did you get?

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
Like many I missed the first 20 minutes due to Southern Rail being inept. There were quite a few Fulham fans in the queue also, and despite a lot of frustration from both sets of fans about the delay, there was no trouble. Imagine however had we been playing Millwall Palace Cardiff etc. I suspect that the trip would have been a tad more eventful. Southern Rail really do need to up their game.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's a shame we can't withhold a portion of Southern's travel subsidy payment if they fail to deliver a service. Sort of like a mass delay repay. Eh, Mr Barber? :whistle:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I popped into town this morning. Saw quite a few police going around, including four on bikes doing what looked like a check of the route. Think the police are a bit busier today than one might think.

So that is the real reason,the police would have been overworked today? oh I see.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Evening Games

Shioreham-Falmer.JPG

The first train is safe to arrive on time but crowded. (This mean I leave two hours before the game.)

The second crowded train arrives at Brighton just before seven and usually meets an 8 coach train that leaves for Falmer just after seven or as late as ten past. Sometimes the queues are too long at Brighton, but a later train arrives on time. This is the train that most people get.

The third train is not crowded but arrives a bit after seven and usually meets the 8 coach train that does not leave until 7:25 but sometimes gets delayed and I arrive five minutes late.) The queues were too long to catch this (Train was shorter than normal.)

On Friday the 6:35 was late from Shoreham and I did not arrive at Brighton until 7:10. After 30 minutes in an queue the 3 coach train did not leave until 7;40, 15 minutes later than normal.

The next train was diue to leave at 7:50 but did not leave until 8:10 and had four carriages. I was in the ground at 8:25. (2 hours 10 minutes after I left home).

So the idea for Tuesday is to catch the first train.

Last edited:

Lush

Mods' Pet
I never trust the trains, particularly for evening kickoffs.

Always reckon on being in the queue by 6:30, and by chance yesterday was there by 6:20 and luckily just missed the misery.

I know some people can't leave work etc early, and for them I feel really sorry.

I expect exactly the same Train Pain on Tuesday, and will be in the queue by 6:15 next time.

This.

Again, I know some people can't get out of work but I LOVE the Amex. We spent years campaigning to get it and I'm usually at the station by 6.15, in the ground by 6.30 and as happy as LARRY waiting for KO with a pie and a cuppa tea. Don't think I could bear the stress of not making it in time.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Whoever made the decision to move a Saturday game to a Friday because of the Marathon on SUNDAY needs to take some of the blame.

No - the logistics of a race like the BM are a complete facking NIGHTMARE, they really are. I've helped organise a 5 mile race for 400 people - it's horrendous - and that didn't involve road closures.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
No - the logistics of a race like the BM are a complete facking NIGHTMARE, they really are. I've helped organise a 5 mile race for 400 people - it's horrendous - and that didn't involve road closures.

Fair comment if you have been involved, I was reading another thread and most of the answers were " it's because the marathon is being set up " No other explanation.
I suppose I just see it as the marathon course is nowhere near the Amex, and the race isn't today( Saturday)

Someone I know who helps with the setting up of the marathon actually asked me why the match was on a Friday.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Fair comment if you have been involved, I was reading another thread and most of the answers were " it's because the marathon is being set up " No other explanation.
I suppose I just see it as the marathon course is nowhere near the Amex, and the race isn't today( Saturday)

Someone I know who helps with the setting up of the marathon actually asked me why the match was on a Friday.

The marathon isn't the only event, but it's the main event. They do mini mile races etc on the Saturday.
http://www.brightonmarathonweekend.co.uk/

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, but nowhere near the Amex.

If the weather is nice when we play Derby on bank holiday Monday I'm sure Brighton will be as busy or busier than today.

I don't know the exact reasoning but the home game for the Marathon is moved. I'm sure it's been moved before in the 5 seasons we've played there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports