Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Couldn't be bothered in the end and decided to WFH today. Hope it goes ok for anybody trying.

07.44 GATEX running fine. Nice and empty

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
6.30 GX was fine service is better on strike days than normal .

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
i will be tmrw as its going to be a terrible service :whistle:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Everytime I buy train tickets my tourette finger goes to child return on the machine. Half price for a half hearted service. Seems fair enough to me until they pull their facking socks up.

BFC

Jan 18, 2015
What's it going to be like after the strike? Should it be fine on Saturday on the Victoria to Brighton line?

BFC

Jan 18, 2015
It should be OK. Friday won't be back to normal but Saturday should be and most Brentford fans will have to use Southern from Clapham Junction.

Cheers - that's definitely how the vast majority of us will be coming so hope so.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Im a FIRM advocate of DOO. Sooner the better. For the WHOLE network. Lets hope hat 20m is used towards making the network DOO ASAP. Trains run on time. Safe and best of all no "due to staff shortages or no guard this service will not be running" as has been the case for months and of course the unions wont allow a train that could actually leave victoria, with passengers on because the bloke who rings the bell and sticks his head out the doors and presses a button isnt on the train.

Hurry the **** up with it. Its not the 70s anymore.

Sorry but I have lost all support for the guards. Strikes on top of all this. **** them. The whole experience has been a misery and yes I am pretty ****ed off with it.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I have a genuine question for those that seem to be ITK on all things Southern related.

On Tuesday evening, the carriages to form the 18:15 GE service from Victoria were delayed getting into London, which was then rescheduled to leave at 18:27. However, the next scheduled GE service, the 18:30, had arrived and pulled into Victoria at about 18:10. So why in the name of all things "Customer Service" could the carriages that were already in Victoria ready for the 18:30 not be used for the 18:15 so it could leave on time, and the delayed carriages that were due in for 18:27 be used for the 18:30?

It did not appear to be because the driver or guard was on the delayed train as they appeared on the platform waiting for the carriages to arrive as well.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Im a FIRM advocate of DOO. Sooner the better. For the WHOLE network. Lets hope hat 20m is used towards making the network DOO ASAP. Trains run on time. Safe and best of all no "due to staff shortages or no guard this service will not be running" as has been the case for months and of course the unions wont allow a train that could actually leave victoria, with passengers on because the bloke who rings the bell and sticks his head out the doors and presses a button isnt on the train.

Sorry but I have lost all support for the guards. Strikes on top of all this. **** them. The whole experience has been a misery and yes I am pretty ****ed off with it.

You do realise that the DOO routes on Southern are the worst performing punctuality wise ?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I have a genuine question for those that seem to be ITK on all things Southern related.

On Tuesday evening, the carriages to form the 18:15 GE service from Victoria were delayed getting into London, which was then rescheduled to leave at 18:27. However, the next scheduled GE service, the 18:30, had arrived and pulled into Victoria at about 18:10. So why in the name of all things "Customer Service" could the carriages that were already in Victoria ready for the 18:30 not be used for the 18:15 so it could leave on time, and the delayed carriages that were due in for 18:27 be used for the 18:30?

It did not appear to be because the driver or guard was on the delayed train as they appeared on the platform waiting for the carriages to arrive as well.

They are booked on a diagram so they go to maintenance at the scheduled time , it's not as easy as it looks. The problem is that the idiots who book the carriage diagrams as well as the train crew diagrams in an effort to save money have made them so tight that when there is disruption it all goes tits up for a long time.

An example for you the first train to London from the West Coast (Hove dep 0557) arrives at Victoria at 0658 and then forms the 0710 to East Grinstead arriving at 0801 and makes the 0817 back up to London Bridge. So a problem at Worthing at 0530 could still be having an effect at East Grinstead at 0830.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

You're not in a wheelchair I assume?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Quite right. Wasn't that long ago when we had to shut our own doors and I don't recall anyone dying on my daily commute due to door related issues.

We'll have this all again in X years time when they try and roll out driverless trains.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This is going to drag on for years I fear.

Southern don't seem to have any intention of providing Sussex with an acceptable rail service.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Quite right. Wasn't that long ago when we had to shut our own doors and I don't recall anyone dying on my daily commute due to door related issues.

We'll have this all again in X years time when they try and roll out driverless trains.

I think there is another issue here in that when we closed our doors, there was a guard on the train who would view the platform and warn the departing driver of any issues. Also a passenger could open the door themselves if they became stuck or a passenger was stuck/caught

There is an disproportionately higher number of platform incidents /death using DOO.

Last week I was on a DOO train where a scrote decided to have a fag in the toilets and the alarm went off. The delay caused was much higher than if a guard had been on. The new trains have many alarms and sensors that need checking If they trigger. So I don't think we can assume DOO trains are more efficient

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Wasn't that long ago when we had to shut our own doors and I don't recall anyone dying on my daily commute due to door related issues.

Looking back I did a few pretty stupid things in my teenage years opening the door as the train came into the platform and jumping off while the train was still moving and a few times at Victoria coming back from away games opening the door and jumping on after the train had started to move away. I'm pretty sure there were numerous deaths and injuries in the pre-internet years.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I think there is another issue here in that when we closed our doors, there was a guard on the train who would view the platform and warn the departing driver of any issues. Also a passenger could open the door themselves if they became stuck or a passenger was stuck/caught

There is an disproportionately higher number of platform incidents /death using DOO.

Last week I was on a DOO train where a scrote decided to have a fag in the toilets and the alarm went off. The delay caused was much higher than if a guard had been on. The new trains have many alarms and sensors that need checking If they trigger. So I don't think we can assume DOO trains are more efficient

The Conductor nips back, sorts the idiot out and resets the alarm whilst the train doesn't stop. DOO, the driver stops at the next signal, tells signalman he is going back, signalman blocks all lines till he gets clearance from the Driver and just imagine that at Balcombe or Burgess Hill during rush hour ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Am I missing something? Southern's DOO proposal still has a second person on board, other than in exceptional circumstances which I thought the union were invited to discuss and help define.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here