Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Train was cancelled this morning - staff sickness apparently
Carnage at London Bridge this evening due to power supply problems at Gatwick - loads of train cancellations
Another shite day with an extra hour+ of travelling time

And me, shambles of the highest order today 30 minute late in one hour late home

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
And me, shambles of the highest order today 30 minute late in one hour late home

Same here, my bos is also starting to get very annoyed with the situation!

I am coming up to the end of my 6 months probation so hope all of the train disasters the last few months affects me becoming permanent.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Same here, my bos is also starting to get very annoyed with the situation!

I am coming up to the end of my 6 months probation so hope all of the train disasters the last few months affects me becoming permanent.

That's my concern. I start a new job in the City at the end of August, and I hope the issues are resolved by then, because I'm not sure the company I'm joining will take too kindly to me rolling into the office at 10am every day.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
That's my concern. I start a new job in the City at the end of August, and I hope the issues are resolved by then, because I'm not sure the company I'm joining will take too kindly to me rolling into the office at 10am every day.

For what its worth, the mornings generally seem OK and rarely more than a few minutes late. It is getting home where it seems to completely go to shit.

I get the 07.19 from West Worthing

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
For what its worth, the mornings generally seem OK and rarely more than a few minutes late. It is getting home where it seems to completely go to shit.

In which case, my future employers will be fine. It's my family that may be less than chuffed.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Another tick in the box for DOO for me last night.

Got on the 20:04 to Uckfield at about 20:10 the drivers comes over the tannoy and apolgises for the delay informing us we don't have a guard but he has just left East Croydon so should be with us in 15-20 minutes. 20:30 he comes back on and tells us that he's been misinformed and no guard was coming so the train was cancelled. So the train ran empty to where ever it had to be leaving us stuck at LB. When you only have one service an hour its a right pain in the arse. I'd more than happily be on a service with no guard and get home an hour earlier then have to hang around waiting for the next train. Having left the pub at 19:30 I finally walked through the door at 22:30.

The retailers around LB must be the only people who are benefitting out this whole fiasco.

If Southern aren't going to budge then they just need to implement and get on with it. It may mean it'll get worse before it gets better but something has to happen and the sooner the better as far as I'm concerned.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Certainly better than the evenings, but my normal morning train was cancelled again today.

What really annoys me is they often must know they aren't going to run a train a fair time beforehand. I check online before I leave home - but often goes from 'on time' then to cancelled by the time I get to the station (less than 10 min walk)

I'd advise anyone planning on working in London to travel as early as possible. Maybe agree flexible working hours if you can. Early trains are quieter and seem a lot more reliable

albionite

May 20, 2009
Another tick in the box for DOO for me last night.

Got on the 20:04 to Uckfield at about 20:10 the drivers comes over the tannoy and apolgises for the delay informing us we don't have a guard but he has just left East Croydon so should be with us in 15-20 minutes. 20:30 he comes back on and tells us that he's been misinformed and no guard was coming so the train was cancelled. So the train ran empty to where ever it had to be leaving us stuck at LB. When you only have one service an hour its a right pain in the arse. I'd more than happily be on a service with no guard and get home an hour earlier then have to hang around waiting for the next train. Having left the pub at 19:30 I finally walked through the door at 22:30.

The retailers around LB must be the only people who are benefitting out this whole fiasco.

If Southern aren't going to budge then they just need to implement and get on with it. It may mean it'll get worse before it gets better but something has to happen and the sooner the better as far as I'm concerned.

Bit like saying the cameras are not working so train will run empties. Not only that that unit will be out of service for rest of day and not just one service. But carry on talking :shit:

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
I feel for anyone that commutes by train each day, last night I got the train from Brighton, the sign said on time with five minutes to go with no platform showing so fairly certain it wouldn't be on time, comes in 10 minutes late not a major problem but small things like that wind people up surely they know where the train is.

12 Carriages, I walked to the front as platform so busy and a new train arrives which I thought would be good to go on, train sits there for 5/10 minutes with doors shut then we are told only the last 4 carriages doors are working, walk back down the platform which is now rammed finally get on train which leaves about 30 minutes late.

Windows don't open on the new trains and the air conditioning doesn't appear to be working so absolutely baking, stop at Preston Park and then Hassocks then to be told train will terminate at Haywards Heath, ok for me as im getting off at Burgess Hill, then another announcement saying train wont stop at Burgess Hill or Wivelsfield so will have to get off.

Next train to Burgess Hill no idea as trains backed up behind ours but managed to get a lift home as a couple of trains sped through station, would of been nice if they could of got one to make a couple of extra stops.

Could of been worse some people had flights to catch and were paying £45 for a taxi but shambles from start to finish, I appreciate things go wrong but the odd tweak here and there and a bit more communication would make things a lot better.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Bit like saying the cameras are not working so train will run empties. Not only that that unit will be out of service for rest of day and not just one service. But carry on talking :shit:

Or when the mainline is stuffed like Monday night as someone was having a fag in the bog, the alarm went off so the driver had to stop, shut down everything and go and deal with a dickhead in the toilet causing delays not only to his train but to the ones stacked up behind.
Unlike when the guard would sort it without even stopping the train, but we all know according to the cretins that DOO is the way forward

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Or when the mainline is stuffed like Monday night as someone was having a fag in the bog, the alarm went off so the driver had to stop, shut down everything and go and deal with a dickhead in the toilet causing delays not only to his train but to the ones stacked up behind.
Unlike when the guard would sort it without even stopping the train, but we all know according to the cretins that DOO is the way forward

Reckon smoke detector sprinkler systems in the bogs is the way forward also. Might just deter the Clevor Trevors, or at least to help identify them or just to douse them in water for shits and giggles like.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Please explain how I'm talking shit?

Train had a driver and was full of passengers. Train could have easily run as scheduled perfectly safely with the driver opening and closing the doors (as proved by Thameslink and London Underground). Whilst it would be nice to have a member of staff on the train I would have happily as I'm sure 99.9% of the train would have rather it run without a guard and we got home an hour earlier than we actually did than waiting an hour for the next service.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Please explain how I'm talking shit?

Train had a driver and was full of passengers. Train could have easily run as scheduled perfectly safely with the driver opening and closing the doors (as proved by Thameslink and London Underground). Whilst it would be nice to have a member of staff on the train I would have happily as I'm sure 99.9% of the train would have rather it run without a guard and we got home an hour earlier than we actually did than waiting an hour for the next service.

No DOO facilities on the Uckfield line and there won't be , it's scheduled to have a guard even though DOO will be everywhere else.

Happy journeys :wave:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Sorry if this has been mentioned but had anyone noticed the appearance of blue overalled security staff at Haywards Heath station? At 6.30 I don't often see southern staff on the platform but there's frequently security.

they are at most stations, several at the barriers at Lewes

apart from the drivers, all the staff will be revenue protection soon

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
It costs money to put up cameras and make sure the platforms are correct level, more chance of closing the line than getting DOO

You'll have to explain that to me. Are you saying the platforms are uneven? What has that got to do with a driver being able to look at a monitor and press a button?

They just spent god knows how much extending the platforms all the way up so the line won't be closing any time soon.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Different excuse this morning and one of their favourites "......this is due to a person being taken ill on board". It's almost as if they can justify their ineptness and the next strike is needed. :rant:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
You'll have to explain that to me. Are you saying the platforms are uneven? What has that got to do with a driver being able to look at a monitor and press a button?

They just spent god knows how much extending the platforms all the way up so the line won't be closing any time soon.

The lighting on the platforms has to be a recognised standard as has platform heights and other restrictions for DOO to be cleared, it won't be on the Uckfield line anytime soon. One of the few Southern lines that is booked to retain Guards under the DOO proposals

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here