Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
For those who rely (or have done in the past) on the Southern service GBS to Soton, how bad is it given the new timetable? I'm heading back home to Sussex ahead of an assessment day later this month in Swanwick and the train would be perfect...if the service is running at all.

I will consult the National Rail app but based on the experience of others, I doubt that will be much use.

Thanks in advance.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
For those who rely (or have done in the past) on the Southern service GBS to Soton, how bad is it given the new timetable? I'm heading back home to Sussex ahead of an assessment day later this month in Swanwick and the train would be perfect...if the service is running at all.

I will consult the National Rail app but based on the experience of others, I doubt that will be much use.

Thanks in advance.

Absolutely useless, the Brighton to Southampton one has gone and the connection from the Victoria service at Barnham is 50 minutes wait

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom

Thanks in advance.

Unless you're doing it at the weekend, you're buggered. You'll either have to get the SWT stopper to Fratton and hope that the 1 an hour Portsmouth to Brighton train ties in or get to Fareham or Southampton and go via Clapham.

Yoda

English & European

Thanks in advance.

Ignore Southern Services and look up First Great Western & South West Trains.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Absolutely useless, the Brighton to Southampton one has gone and the connection from the Victoria service at Barnham is 50 minutes wait

That's the thing that's made me so furious. They've decimated the Coastway West, how hard would it have been to actually get a connection to work. Tossers.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
That's the thing that's made me so furious. They've decimated the Coastway West, how hard would it have been to actually get a connection to work. Tossers.

Instead of doing a NEW timetable and making sure that there is a connection with the Vic to Southamptons at Barnham both ways they just cancelled trains with no thought. They haven't got the staff to cover the new timetable anyway so it won't make much difference

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter

Unless you're doing it at the weekend, you're buggered. You'll either have to get the SWT stopper to Fratton and hope that the 1 an hour Portsmouth to Brighton train ties in or get to Fareham or Southampton and go via Clapham.

Ignore Southern Services and look up First Great Western & South West Trains.

Thanks guys, forget all that, I'll drive or get a lift off my dad and reimburse him petrol money.

I was thinking of catching the bus, via Pompey on the 700 but again...forget that.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Thanks guys, forget all that, I'll drive or get a lift off my dad and reimburse him petrol money.

I was thinking of catching the bus, via Pompey on the 700 but again...forget that.

Before, I'd have laughed at the suggestion of the 700. Now I'm thinking, "Not a bad idea, that!"

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Instead of doing a NEW timetable and making sure that there is a connection with the Vic to Southamptons at Barnham both ways they just cancelled trains with no thought. They haven't got the staff to cover the new timetable anyway so it won't make much difference

Indeed. It works (or is at least timetabled to work) BTN-SOU, so why they couldn't do vice versa is beyond someone with half a brain.

This quote from the BBC article on the 400+ cancellations made me laugh..

Roger Keyworth, from West Sussex Rail Users Association, said he welcome the revised timetable because it would provide certainty.

Not sure I'd want him representing me if he honestly believes that.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
This quote from the BBC article on the 400+ cancellations made me laugh..

Not sure I'd want him representing me if he honestly believes that.

Well, he is a Conservative councillor in Chichester, and the Tory line (in government at least) is to absolve SASTA of blame.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
TRAIN UNION RMT is offering a new approach in a bid to resolve the GTR dispute.

It is a dispute about the proposed removal of conductors from trains and the implications that removing these safety critically trained staff would have.

In an open letter to GTR Chief Executive Charles Horton, RMT General Secretary Mick Cash says,

“I refer to the recent hearing at the Transport Select Committee where we were both asked: What could be done to help resolve the current impasse?

You will also be aware that we will have both had numerous conversations with passengers and their Members of Parliament who are asking that we go the extra mile in seeking a resolution to the dispute.

I would therefore wish to develop the offer of the new approach I made at the Transport Select Committee.

The RMT will suspend calling any further industrial for the next three months if you will also suspend your proposals for a similar period.

This will then allow us the time and space to sit down together and try and explore options that will seek to deliver the lasting improvements to service and reliability we all want.

I do hope that you can respond positively to these proposals and I look forward to hearing from you.”

The only problem with that is that, according to Southern, they will be in breach of contract if they don't introduce DOOs.

In short, they're doing this, because they've been told to do it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
In theory, if the Brighton-Lewes and Brighton-Eastbourne trains run ok the fact that Seaford line fans will have to get a bus from Lewes will actually make it easier to get home after a midweek match as there will not be the many "I cannot possibly get on a train and change at Lewes" fans who clog up the platform like we have now.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The only problem with that is that, according to Southern, they will be in breach of contract if they don't introduce DOOs.

In short, they're doing this, because they've been told to do it.

I'm not sure now what will happen, hopefully a massive demo at Victoria on Monday may make the DfT think it's time to withdraw support of SASTA and hang them out to dry ?

albionite

May 20, 2009
TRAIN UNION RMT is offering a new approach in a bid to resolve the GTR dispute.

It is a dispute about the proposed removal of conductors from trains and the implications that removing these safety critically trained staff would have.

In an open letter to GTR Chief Executive Charles Horton, RMT General Secretary Mick Cash says,

“I refer to the recent hearing at the Transport Select Committee where we were both asked: What could be done to help resolve the current impasse?

You will also be aware that we will have both had numerous conversations with passengers and their Members of Parliament who are asking that we go the extra mile in seeking a resolution to the dispute.

I would therefore wish to develop the offer of the new approach I made at the Transport Select Committee.

The RMT will suspend calling any further industrial for the next three months if you will also suspend your proposals for a similar period.

This will then allow us the time and space to sit down together and try and explore options that will seek to deliver the lasting improvements to service and reliability we all want.

I do hope that you can respond positively to these proposals and I look forward to hearing from you.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/tran...as-bosses-reject-strike-amnesty-a3291301.html

Shows you how willing gtr, daft are willing to talk as much as they like to keep telling everyone they are the ones that want to meet and unions are not playing ball.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

el punal

As this dispute, and its consequences, will be going on for some time I have a couple of questions that some of you "in the know" might be able to answer.

As I live in Southampton I catch the Southern service(!!?) to Brighton on Saturday match days. Now I am aware that during the week the Southampton - Brighton service has been suspended or severely curtailed. So my questions are :

1. Will there be a normal service from Southampton to Brighton on a Saturday? I have checked on Southern's on-line timetable and it appears there will be - I won't hold my breath.

2. If the schedule service is cancelled would I be allowed to travel, for example, on South West trains to Clapham Junction and from there to Brighton using a Southern ticket?

Many cheers.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
As this dispute, and its consequences, will be going on for some time I have a couple of questions that some of you "in the know" might be able to answer.

As I live in Southampton I catch the Southern service(!!?) to Brighton on Saturday match days. Now I am aware that during the week the Southampton - Brighton service has been suspended or severely curtailed. So my questions are :

1. Will there be a normal service from Southampton to Brighton on a Saturday? I have checked on Southern's on-line timetable and it appears there will be - I won't hold my breath.

2. If the schedule service is cancelled would I be allowed to travel, for example, on South West trains to Clapham Junction and from there to Brighton using a Southern ticket?

Many cheers.

As the first home match is not for 2 months or so nobody can tell what will happen then

Many cheers.

I would've thought that the via Clapham option is a reasonable route,best off speaking SWT to confirm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here